WnSoft Forums

Anti-Virus software

JRR

I hope I am not repeating anything here, but I did a search for "Microsoft Security Essentials" (MSE) and came up blank.

I am in the throes of getting a new computer and have several authoritative sources recommending going with MSE as the anti-virus software. I am interested in hearing any comments from people you are using it.

I currently use AVG, but have to steer it away (via Resident Shield) from my PTE .exe files as I seem to get false positives. So I am thinking of switching.

I have used Kaspersky in the past. I also used to use Norton but won't go near it anymore due to other issues with it.

Thanks

JIM

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13177-understanding-pan-z/

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13207-hows-that/page__pid__86314#entry86314

http://www.virustotal.com/

it seems that it depends on system

my techie uses AVAST

i have used AVG for years and am used to its idiosyncrasy's and deal with them as they come up -- write to Bill Hines and ask him what he uses as he has to check every file that is uploaded to the cottage -- he has to open - view etc before he will let it be on his site

ken

I've used Norton for the past ten years or more and the only problem was a rash of "false positives" on PTE exe files shortly after they introduced their SONAR technology. But I found that, once Norton had learned to recognise the PTE kernel code for each of the different PTE releases, it gave no more false positives. My main PC crashed (terminally) on Friday and the new system has AVG pre-installed - so I'm letting it show me what it can do (mindful of the fact that it, too, can be prone to giving "false positives" on PTE sequences).

regards,

Peter

fyi only

recently AVG has started flagging what it has done -- this one came up on my older system just now

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/threat-report-app10?DR0=4228179&DR50=4228179&DR1=313&DR51=313&DR2=0&DR52=0&DR3=463&DR53=463&DR4=502&DR54=502&DR5=0&DR55=0&DR6=0&DR56=0&DR7=70294&DR57=70294&DR8=4&DR58=4

hope you can read it

another point the event log on my older system is working but it only worked for a month - april- on the new win7 system - one of the solutions is to reinstall avg - i been thinking about it but have not tried - no g_____d's

ken

Jim forgot to mention - I asked my tech about MSE and he said one never seems to see what it is doing - maybe Cor can elaborate

Hello Ken,

I'm not an expert in security programs, but I also used a few in the past (avast, norton, kaspersky,...).

My experiences are that those programs become heavier and heavier on your system.

One day I stumbled on MSE and did not change since then.

It's very important when you change from a security program to an other that you clean the old program completely from your computer, otherwise it's a mess with errors and other unusual things.

About MSE:

It works in the background but it is really effective, I've encountered that in the past.

It registers viruses, trojans, etc. put them in quarantine or destroy them.

In addition, a number of settings (like in other security programs) can be adapted and changes fine tuned,

for example to scan your computer regularly.

It's important that you keep MSE up-to-date (but that's normal behavior). MSE keep things up-to-date for you daily, or manually if the user want it.

For me it is really a good program. I'm generally not that Microsoft minded, but I do like MSE, I'll give it a big +.

Cor

Thanks for the quick replies from everyone !!

Sounds like Ken and I have somewhat similar issues with AVG on XP system.I am going to Win7, so maybe it will be OK there.

My techie uses Kaspersky, and in some ways I am leaning there only to be on the same wavelength with him......

But I am still intrigued by MSE...

I know I have to s**t or get off the pot... :rolleyes:

Jim

I came away from AVG some years ago after those irritating issues of false positives. I switched to Avast, which is free and recommended by someone. (cant recall who) I am not an authority on this, but it works for me and has protected all our PC's perfectly OK and no troubles.

Take a look http://www.avast.com/en-au/free-antivirus-download

I hope I am not repeating anything here, but I did a search for "Microsoft Security Essentials" (MSE) and came up blank.

I am in the throes of getting a new computer and have several authoritative sources recommending going with MSE as the anti-virus software. I am interested in hearing any comments from people you are using it.

I currently use AVG, but have to steer it away (via Resident Shield) from my PTE .exe files as I seem to get false positives. So I am thinking of switching.

I have used Kaspersky in the past. I also used to use Norton but won't go near it anymore due to other issues with it.

Thanks

=============================

JRR,

This site gives you some more information and reviews on the top free antivirus softwares. I have been using the free version of Avast for some time now, and I like it:

http://www.techsuppo...us-software.htm

Gary

I know I have to s**t or get off the pot... :rolleyes:

Well I did... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I went with MicroSoft Security Essentials.

No issues so far, of course the computer is VERY young and I am still setting it up.

Now I have to get around to setting PTE on it and digging out the old versions....

Thanks to all

• 1 month later...

Thanks

After using MSSE for a few months I am more than happy with it's performance and abilities.provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It is a free download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology.Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.