WnSoft Forums

Cntrl_Shift_P

davegee

Hi David,

I'm not 100% clear on what you want to see. The CTRL SHIFT P presently adds no overhead to file size. If you perform the CTRL SHIFT P and copy and paste the sepia and black and white in addition to the original color image as three separate slides, there is no increase in the executable file size over the original single frame made into an executable... The sepia and black and white are treated exactly as if you had copied and pasted the original twice more - no increase in overhead at all.

So if I understand correctly, what you would like to see is the ability to have some transitional shift between sepia, black and white and color automated in one layer rather than as transitions between three slides?

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I was asking the question whether anyone had any ideas how the feature might be used - no more, no less.

I have showed that there is no increase in the executable in my attachment which uses the method you described. Three occasions of the same image blended via keypoints.

I don't want to prejudge how Igor will implement it - just looking for ideas on how to use it.

I have already suggested that if it could be implemented per Keypoint as opposed to per Image it would be a vast improvement - but that's for Igor to decide.

DG

Thanks, I understand now.

I have no ideas other than either a quick and loss-less way of converting to grayscale or sepia and as you demonstrated, transitions between any of the two or three without resorting to outside software. I think that's exactly what Proshow has done and now, even without "any" further refinement, it can be done in PTE as well.

A long time ago I posted a sample when "masking" was first made available and that too is a possibility with this new feature. We can place either the black and white or sepia inside a mask and move the mask over the color version or vice versa. It can make some interesting effects.

Best regards,

Lin

Dave

Well, they couldn't do what has been suggested anyway, because you cannot make a Mask of that complexity in PTE, you need an image editor for that.

what about the beginner who wants to import images directly from a compact and has no editor? should igor cater for him/her also.

No every day of the week and twice on Sundays, or PTE will be turned into a Jack of all trades and master of none. It should stay with what it is good at, presenting images in the best way possible.

Currently there are three forums discussing this experimental feature.

The conclusion, so far: The hotkey Ctrl+Shift+P, in its present form, is very limited and requires adaptations to be really functional.

Change the image in black and white could be useful for making masks, but we must be able to adapt the mask in PTE and that's not possible now.

As in Photoshop where we have Channels to work with. With Channels your able to make selections (and masks) the easiest and accurate way.

Some time ago I asked if it's possible to have Channels in PixBuilder Studio. So far no go.

About the Ctrl+E in Object and Animation, this function is also experimental and need adaptations.

Because it's only possible to move all the keypoints at once.

Not usefull in complex animations. You need to select keypoints first. And what about Parent and Child logic?

Let's see what Igor intends to do with it.

Cor

It occured to me that, by bouncing a few ideas around, Igor could get a feel for what users want from the feature?

Yes of course, it is with new and different ideas that we try to think along with Igor.

AV is not only, beautiful pictures with some beautiful music (sadly no matter how beautiful, but soon very boring).

PicturesToExe provides many opportunities for so many different minds.

Also PixBuilder Studio would be a very nice alternative to the expensive Photoshop.

When PixBuilder Studio would be made really functional for PicturesToExe users, possibly with a direct link to the program.

Yes, PixBuilder Studio has channels and an alpha channel.

But when it would be possible to copy the R, G, B channels that could give a boost to both programs.

Cor

Dave

elitist ? What for having an opinion !!

I think it's just common sense. Unless you know of one software program that is a master for everything you want to do on the computer.

I would much rather see the essential parts of PTE improved, the sound which Igor is working on now, the text options which are limited and perhaps even give PTE to sort of functionality that Powerpoint has for those who would like to use it as a teaching aid.

... It {PTE} should stay with what it is good at, presenting images in the best way possible.
...perhaps even give PTE to sort of functionality that Powerpoint has for those who would like to use it as a teaching aid.

Contradicting yourself there, methinks

Peter

...they are both presentation methods which is different to image editing.

Ah, now I understand the point you were making. On that I agree with you. I don't think PTE should become an image editing product, or a sound editing product either. At present, the only manipulations that it does are "non-destructive": by which I mean that, from within PTE it is not possible to save directly either a modified copy of a JPEG or a modified copy of an MP3 nor any other image or sound file format. I firmly believe that, to change an image file one should use a dedicated and well-featured image file editor; and to change a sound file, one should use a dedicated and well-featured sound file editor. However, I do recognize that there could be advantages in being able to "capture" a good quality image file copy of a PTE slide that contains several PTE-added objects. So, in that instance, there is a conflict with what I've just said.

Peter

Hi,

I go along with Barry when he says the following - though with some reservations on the PP option (though I do use PTE quite frequently in preferance to PP).

I would much rather see the essential parts of PTE improved, the sound which Igor is working on now, the text options which are limited and perhaps even give PTE to sort of functionality that Powerpoint has for those who would like to use it as a teaching aid. /quote]

I am totally in agreement with Peter's post above.

John

Peter,

There are pros and cons with all aspects of this debate.

The pros that I see in this aspect are firstly that the various versions of an image which could be used in PTE when Igor fully devops it (Colour; B+W; Sepia etc etc) come with no increase in the EXE file size.

If the various versions are produced in an external editor then the image involved has a (roughly) three times disadvantage.

I like to use high quality JPEGs (in terms of JPEG quality) and a 1920x1080 image is of the order of .750 - 1 Mb. If done in an external editor the file size for the three versions COULD be of the order of 3Mb.

Igor is making the same thing possible for a file size of just 1Mb.

I don't visualize that he will stop at just B+W and Sepia - a full range of basic filters should be possible.

I still maintain that an absolute beginner with a digital camera should be able to use PTE without the need for any external editing packages. If he or she then progresses and WANTS to use external editors then that's great. Igor's marketing strategy should not indicate that this software is purely for those who have and use the full versions of Photoshop CS6, Soundbooth etc etc etc. I think that he is right to include basic sound and image processing functions.

I can't help thinking that the mistake he contiuously makes is bringing the prototype to the table rather than wait until he has a fully developed feature. The prototype always brings about these (sometimes stupid) arguements about priorities etc.

Just my humble opinion,

DG

Hi David,

I would agree with everything you have said except the part about not bringing a prototype to the product. Many software developers place undocumented features in their software so that the more experienced users can both iron out the wrinkles and make suggestions about modifications and utility of the feature just as we are doing now. In this way, when the feature becomes a documented part of the software, there will be fewer discussions of "they should have done this, or why didn't they do that?...." when approached this way. We have seen this type of debate frequently about audio issues. Then when the developer "does" implement nice features without this iterative process, there is usually the cry for "more" and the complaints that "such and such" does it better.

Obviously these negative issues are not reflective of your personal comments or opinions, but rather a generalization of my observations about the process. By giving those who are interested in such things a "taste" of what "could" be possible - it stimulates debate and helps foment a cohesion of direction to take in the development process. Should the developers just place such a fully developed feature in the next version without this process, then there would surely a myriad of "complaints" from we, the peanut gallery - LOL.

Already, I see developing whispers of "I would rather 'they" spend more time fixing this, refining "my favorite feature," etc, and "we need this rather than that" and so on and so on. The bottom line is that it is very difficult to try to please the various and sundry desires of a diverse user base. As users, we each have our own preferences and use paradigm for this very versatile product. I think Igor and the team have done a bang up job of walking that tightrope and continue to bring us neat new ideas which can greatly enhance our experiences as users of PTE.

Best regards,

Lin

Of course you are right!

My comment was sort of tongue in cheek. When Igor brings out a "prototype" version of something there's always someone who wants it different or wants the default state to be different and it just goes on and on.

I sometimes think it would be better to just present a feature and just let everyone play with it and when the dust settles there is usually a consensus about what needs to be changed (if anything).

One thing I'm certain of - for PTE to "survive" and flourish it needs to be of use to both beginners and advance users and by beginners I mean those who have maybe just bought their first digital camera and are taking a course on how to use their newly bought computer.B):rolleyes::o

DG

new camera

go to web site

download the manual

print the manual on 3 ring paper size

put in binder and READ THE MANUAL

carry it with you at all times c/w a hi lighter and yellow 3M sticky notes

you have just spent +- $1000 surely you can afford to print a 100 pages of details --- if you cant - you cant afford the camera ;)

dont ever use the manual that came with the camera - if you mark it -resale could go down

ken