WnSoft Forums

The best AV Ever. It's your call

All,

An inadvertent click on the slideshows tab whizzed me back 66 pages and back to 2003.

Rather than just wiz back to the present, I started to read of some of the AV presentations.

Many have vanished along with the authors.

So just as a thought and if anybody feels inclined,

I was wondering.....Out of all the AVs on the forum (and you can only choose 1)

What has been your favourite, of all time, AV? (please don’t pick one of your own creations)

You might like to state why, be it for artistic, technical, innovative reasons etc, or, you might not.

Might be the time to blow the cobwebs of an aging hard drive, just in case you get a mention.

Davy

I agree. "The Grand Tour" was a really great show. I also really liked that old "Macarena" dance show. Long before animation it was animation. Circa 2001?

Also the old HongKong airport airplane accidents slide show. It was nothing special, just really, really interesting. A lot of other slideshows are great too, but those flashed into my mind.

I have a special computer folder of the "best of the best." There are a lot of shows in it.

I never got to see 'The Grand Tour'.It must have been a good one.

My favourite, well I can't even remember the title. It was a Christmas AV with some animation.

Think it was from one of the guys from the Netherlands.

It featured the music of Elvis singing 'White Christmas' Maybe the title of the AV then.

I thought it was really well made. Nice animated snow. Simple,but very effective.

Great sense of humour too.

Think it might be lurking on an old PC.

Davy

Of the ones that I have seen the one that stands out for me is Howard Bagshaws "Ride to the Wall". A great story line with a great twist (for some of us with preconceptions), excellent photography, good use of PTE without gimmicks, excellent script and a great voice for the voiceover. It is one of the few that I have kept and I play it regularly. If you search "Ride" and "Wall" you will find it but it is under the title "A different take on Rememberance.

Guest Yachtsman1

Of the ones I've seen since starting out with PTE in 2007, one was controversial to say the least & caused an almighty row due to the conflicting opinions. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy, or the poster put a time limit on it, but I bet Ken can point us to it. The subject matter was the upgrade of a railway station, I think in Belgium, the trouble it caused persuaded the poster to leave the forum & unless he/she has come back under another name, never return. I think it was a mono production with lots of innovation I can only dream about achieving. Come on Ken, get that spade out.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

My all-time favorite PTE-AV has always been, and remains, "A National Park Struggles to be Born" (2004) by Roger Turenne. Superb use of AV to get a point across ~ top marks !!

Judy and Tom, thank you for the mention of "The Grand Tour" ~ I'm surprised, and very honored.

bjc

Sorry Ken,

What did I start? Still I am finding this interesting.Some shows I know,as put forward by Mick and Eric,but not from bjc.

I have to put my hand up,to own up to, ‘Days of Our Lives’.

It should still be here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjyvjrzejzu

Thanks Guys and for your favourites and the nomination from Gayland.

I'm filling up like Gwyneth Paltro at the oscars :lol:

Davy

There have been so many really good AVs that have been put out on the forum over the few years I have been a member but one alone stands above the rest for me.

I believe the 'author' was from Portugal and the name of the show was 'One day last August'. It was sometime before I got around to download it as it was something like 54mb but reading Lin Evans comment on how much he enjoyed prompted me to see it myself.

The images were a mix of his own interspersed with old photos of grape treading and other archival ones. A tour de force of memories when he was a lad via a present day train journey.

I would love to have it in my folder again so I think I might look for it now.

Anthony

For me the best show is "Jazz Dumoustier Stompers" by Jean Charles Pizolatto. A superb use of all the possibilities in PTE (specially layers) and some fine music. Bottom of page 9 on Beechbrook.

Bert

Anthony,

It was Orizaba, One Day in August. a super show and one that changed my mind about having a show last more than 7 minutes.

About 158mb and I think it lasted about 19 mins.

Page 12 of our AV pages,but Show has been removed. Think Orizaba fell out with the forum after his next AV.

Think I still have 'One Day in August'.

Davy

This is a very good question, a difficult one to answer, and such a lot to choose from.

I am not going to rank these in any particular order, but have very loosely categorised them as follows;

One which used a combination of archive and own images and commentary that I liked was 'D Day'

For animated genius I would say 'Smile' The Dom

For a straightforward series of self taken photos I really liked the one about 'Oradour-sur-Glane'

Wow! It's so hard to pick. There have been so many great ones -- Maureen Platt's shows, those by Patrick Bantzhaff, the American Southwest shows by Cagney and the narrated Norway costal voyage by Mark Allen, to recall a few of my favorites.

This one, however, made a big impression the first time I watched it and it is one I have gone back to from time to time for inspiration. I can't even imagine the amount of work that went into putting it together.

La Creation by Jean-Charles Pizolatto: http://diapositif.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32386 (click on the "Telecharger" button to download).

Reading these posts I could not resist having a look at 'Drawing the Light' suggested by Eric as a favourite particularly when he mentioned the controversy it produced.

I have just finished reading the FOUR pages of posts relating to it and Boy! am I sorry I missed that one.

I was almost tempted to make a comment on the sequence :D

Guest Yachtsman1

After re looking at Drawing the Light actually named Station on my PC? Unfortunately it didn't have the same impact as it did two years ago. The photography was still outstanding, the effects mind boggling. Unfortunately the size on my 16-9 monitor was a small rectangle, (I assume it was recorded in something less that 1024x768?), finally the sound track needed improvement. I still rate it as one of the best.

Yachtsman1.