WnSoft Forums

The New iPad

DimmY

Hi Igor,

I've got The New iPad, it's resolution is 2048x1536 pixels whereas PicturesToExe allows to choose 1920x1080 maximum (btw, these values are absent in drop down list). Is it possible to add non-standard resolution to fit all the screen of iPad 3?

Enter 4:3 in Project Options>Main

...and enter 2046x1536 in Project Options>Screen (Resolution).

Or, 16:9 and 2048x1152 etc

The resolution shown in "Screen" reflects the resolution of the monitor in use.

DG

Thank you for suggestion, but it doesn't work for me. I entered 2048x1536 in Project Options>Screen, but when I try to create video for iPad/iPhone, width always set to 1920 pixels.

OK,

This is my opinion and not a definitive answer.

HD Video is, at present 1920x1080 (I noticed that 1920x1200 is possible in the iPAD box????).

What I was suggesting was that if you used 1920x1080 images in a HD (1920x1080) PTE Project with "Fixed Size" unticked and then made the iPAD Video file it MIGHT upscale to fill the iPAD screen without visible losses?

Have you tried that?

I also noted that the iPAD screen is 4:3?

DG

Hi,

I am considering purchasing an iPad which will drag me in "kicking and screaming" into the video scene, somewhere that fills me with a degree of terror!

I note that the "New iPad" has a high resolution screen 2048x1536.

Two related questions -

If creating PTE shows for display on the iPad would it be advisable to build them to the above resolution?

How will older PTE shows produced at lower resolutions display?

Thanks in advance.

John

Have you tried that?

No, I didn't try that. Upscaling without visible loss is impossible, so it's not interesting for me. I just want to display slideshows on the full screen of the iPad 3 without any scaling.

Hey, Igor, can you say something? :)

Guest Yachtsman1

If your Ipad screen is 4-3 aspect ratio, your exe shows must be made in 4-3, otherwise they will either have black sides or extend beyond your viewing area so you only see part of the picture. :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

John,

There's a debate about iPad resolutions already running here: You might care to join in?

Video seems to me to be a "can of worms" in terms of the potential complexity of things. For me it has proved to be not so much "Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" as "Am there, doing that, getting the scar tissue!" It's taking longer than I expected to acquire the skills and experience. Maybe that is the inevitability of tackling a new, alien medium.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I thought there must be something taking place but could not get anything on a search. I'll have a look later tonight - I don't want to spoil the rest of my day!

Cheers

John

Jeb

IMHO, 4:3 format doesn't look that attractive in comparison to 16:9/16:10. Make your shows widescreen format and live with a black band top and bottom on the iPad. Its no great shakes really and who wants to make a 16:9 show for TV and/or monitors and another at 4:3. Its not always a simple conversion.

Hi Barry,

I totally agree regarding aspect ratio. I always use 16:9 which lines up with my camera, monitor and TV, its the number of pixels I need to get my head round.

Given the New iPad's screen ratio of 2048x1536 should I start building my shows at 2048x1152 or stick with my present 1920x1080 (not allowing for Zoom of course).

John

Current version 7.0.x can't output full resolution video for the new iPad.

We added this support to the future version 7.5. I'll try to add this support to the nearest update, too (7.0.7).

You can make an experiment right now:

1. Browse PicturesToExe folder in Program Files, or Program Files (x86) if you have 64-bit Windows 7/Vista:

C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe\7.0\VideoBuilder\

2. Find "mp4presets.dat" file

3. Change "Width" and "Height" parameters for iPad_high (lines 5-6):

[Preset0_0_0]

Type=3

Name=iPad_high

VideoMode=0

Width=1024

Height=768

I'm not sure that the new iPad supports H.264 video at 2048x1536. I did several tests and our iPad couldn't play these files.

It seems that it supports video up to 1920x1080 only.

Apple's websites says:

"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second"

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

No words about 1536p video.

So try to set

Width=1920

Height=1080

Guest Yachtsman1

IMO the concept of the IPad was not designed to specifically show 16-9 ar, it's a throw back to 4-3 or A4 which is 210 × 297 which is as near as dammit to 3-2 D/SLR format. Maybe 16-9 is on its way out? :unsure: Luckily my Panasonic FZ150 has 4 separate formats :rolleyes:

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-99639000-1338816188_thumb.jp

It seems that it supports video up to 1920x1080 only.

Собственно говоря, я так и думал. :)

Да и не видео мне нужно для iPad вообще-то, а именно слайдшоу, и очень желательно, чтобы интерактивное. Боюсь, что для этого нужно что-то другое, а не PTE. :(

Do you have some plans to make PTE for iOS? ;)

There is no app named iSlideshow yet. :)

And there are many apps with slideshow functionality (but I like PTE, so I'd prefer to see its iOS version) in App Store. So I think you shouldn't bother about it.

If you really have enough resources and knowledge, why not to try? Apple market is quite interesting.

Apple is very short sighted when it comes to application restrictions. This is one of many reasons developers are switching to Android instead of iOS. I would buy a new Android tablet today if the PTE player was ported to the platform. I am waiting for the Google Tegra 3 tablet that is supposed to be released at GoogleIO (I think).

Not that many are switching. 70% of new apps are for Apple and developers are making more money there.

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/85911/App-Developers-Signal-Apple-Allegiance-Ahead-of-WWDC-and-Google-I-O

Running a comparison of revenue generated by top apps on both iOS and Android, Flurry calculates that the difference in revenue generated per active user is still 4 times greater on iOS than Android.  For every $1.00 a developer earns on iOS, he can expect to earn about $0.24 on Android.  These results mirror earlier findings from similar analysis Flurry conducted in Q4 of 2011 and Q1 of 2012. 

At the end of the day, developers run businesses, and businesses seek out markets where revenue opportunities are highest and the cost of building and distributing is lowest.  In short, Android delivers less gain and more pain than iOS, which we believe is the key reason 7 out of every 10 apps built in the new economy are for iOS instead of Android.

I have a few Apple devices. Presently 2 mac minis, 1 macbook pro, plus ipad 1 and ipad 3 tablets. Nice quality hardware, nice OS.

That's a lot!

Apple is very protective of their app store. Sometimes my apps that work perfectly are downgraded by the developer under pressure by Apple to remove a feature. I had a great PDF printer (Save2PDF) that was removed.

For Mac or ios? Macs can print to PDF without any extra software.

If you mean iPad, it's still in the app store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/save2pdf-for-ipad/id399758218?mt=8

Tegra 3 quad core android tablets are going to very common by the end of 2012. I think already android smartphones have already passed the iphone (which I use every day). I also have a Kindle Fire. It works but I'm looking to upgrade to a tegra 3 tablet.

More common than they are now but they have a long way to go to match the ipad. Android tablets are not that great but Android phones are a different story. I like the bigger screens on Android phones. The ipad is going to have a huge market share for a while.

All I'm saying is the honeymoon is over with the iphone/ipad. The hardware lead they had with retina displays and custom arm cpus is over. There is some serious competition and if Apple is smart they will bend over backwards to help developers and quit blacklisting apps because they compete with Apple's apps. If Apple's apps are so great they should welcome the competition.

They dont blacklist apps that compete with Apple's apps. There are a bunch of browsers, some of which are much better than Safari. There are a bunch of mail apps too. there are many, many camera apps. there are also other calculators, maps, weather, stock, contacts and calendar/todo apps, all of which duplicate what comes with it.

Android phones are good competition. Android tablets are not there yet. Look at that link, the ipad has 88% share! Android tablets have a long, long way to go.

The iOS PDF printer icon is gone in Save2PDF. Now you must use "Open with" which doesn't do everything the PDF printer was able to do. I don't know if they were using an undocumented API or iOS update removed the functionality. It worked great and now it's gone.

Apparently there was a change with ios 5 and it affected more than just that one app. Look at this thread in apple discussions:

this was the reply from Eurosmartz

Apple's latest release of iOS 5 has changed the way apps are able to interact with the device. This now means that the one of the printing features in this app for printing from other apps via the AirPrint method is no longer available. Apple's changes for iOS have removed this functionality for all apps - not just ours. All other printing options from other apps via this app are still available and you can still continue to use your existing printer(s).

I use Linux 40 hours/week as my desktop PC. Solid as a rock. I had high hopes for Windows 8 but the user should be able to select the default desktop and never be bothered by a tablet interface on a desktop PC.

Windows 8 is going to be interesting. I like the idea of having one system work on both tabets and regular computers since I'm tired of keeping things in sync with the ipad, but on the other hand, I've yet to hear anyone say they like Windows 8. That's not good.