WnSoft Forums

Text Comments

Igor

I think that current implementation of text comments is not ideal.

A new user can quickly type a text in the Text comment field on the top toolbar on the main window. But he don't see a way where to adjust a font or move a text caption.

I can't recall exactly, but as I remember, in all shows which I watched there were no text comments. A typical show has several text captions added manually as Text objects in the Objects and animation editor.

I understand that Text comments in current version are useful in certain cases. Especially if you use text macros in the Project options. But they are not intuitive.

Also this rarely used feature (as I guess) clutters the interface of the main window. In version 7.5 we did re-design of PicturesToExe and I'm not satisfied with Text comments field on the main window.

I have two possible solutions:

A. Remove Text comment field by default. But you can turn it on again in the Preferences window -> Customize toolbars.

Suggest to new users use Objects and animation editor to add text comments.

B. Alternate solution. Move Text comment field to a new tab in the Customize slide window + add a font settings and text position on a slide.

I need to know your opinion.

Hi Igor,

Though the features are used by only a few who post shows, the "macro" capabilities of "Insert Text Template" are quite important to keep and perhaps even expand on. Already we have had one person who left PTE for a time then came back and downloaded a beta copy and couldn't find "Text Comments." Photographers, especially, often want to include metadata from the IPTC and EXIF information when their shows are of "informative" rather than "presentation" type. So whichever way you eventually decide, it will be very useful to make it clear to the new user that this feature is present and usable in PTE.

Perhaps the reason you have not seen this feature used is that most slideshows presented to our audience on the forum are presentation types rather than informational type shows. Educators who use PTE often use these features but rarely, if ever, post their work on the slideshow forum.

Best regards,

Lin

I agree with Lin, please keep the Project Level text comment Templates.

I think Option B is perhaps easiest, to have the Text Comment on the Customise Slide.

If possible to be able to select several slides at once & add a comment with common Font, Colour, Position etc.

Then the actual Text could be changed individually on each slide as required.

Jill

years ago getting pte to accept exif was beyond the capabilities of the program so i quit asking

when i did road races i used comments all the time -- if i did a specific show for the g'kids they loved to see their names on a slide

but i am still of the kiss era and i still start a show using 4.48 - -get it to where i want it then save it with the lastest version cw manual control etc -- if i was going to show at a club it is very easy to disable these "annoying" features -- just make a different pte - you dont have to make a complete new show

ken

Hello

I think option B is like the Barry said a good solution.

PTE serves me enormously to make presentations.

I for one see an additional tab for the text is a good option and I'll see also that this tab is even more complete and more intuitive.

M@rcel