WnSoft Forums

New System Working Well

Lin Evans

Hi Ken,

It does have a couple nice speakers, but I'm getting a big set with bass reflex, etc., as soon as I can afford it... I found a nice one at BestBuy for about $99.00

I have a battery backup system coming soon which will let it play about 45 minutes without power so I will have plenty of time to shut down. I still have to update from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1 but haven't been able to find it on the Windows Store page yet. It has a smaller footprint than Win 8/64 and built-in anti-virus.

Later... I discovered I had to do all Win 8.0 updates before Win 8.1 would show up in the Windows Store. The update is free so I'm downloading now. It's a bit over 3 gigabytes so will likely take all night....

Lin

great lookin monitor

will it play moosic )))))))

ken

Hi Judy,

So far it's great! I can sit back a bit further with my feet up and still see the display very easily. The 30" display is truly great for photos at 4 megapixel resolution. It's not retina display pixel density - only about 103 ppi, but very, very sharp.

Best regards,

Lin

Great! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine! Some time back it took me a while to get used to a 23" screen. It was just so BIG! Now I use 2 of them. I will be curious to know how you get along with 30" of it!

Lin

After a short while you may have great difficulty looking at the old type of displays. Its amazing how quick we adapt and get used the screen we use daily. I have had a Dell 27in for 5 years and I could not buy one smaller now. It's one of the positives I say to people about using PTE. In early days I would struggle to create good quality 16*12 prints, but here we are now able to see images bigger than that on a vibrant flat screen.

I have not looked back to check, but I don't think you had a SSD fitted. We have just had a new PC built for my better half and it's much the same spec as what you have, but we went for a SSD for the C drive and it makes such a difference. Full boot up in under 20 seconds. It makes my PC look steam driven

Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, an SSD wasn't an option so I would have to add it later, but the boot up on the small partition on the 7200 rpm drive is very fast compared to my old Win XP system. I'm still sorting out Windows 8.1 and trying to learn the easy ways to get it set up in some logical fashion. I found that it does indeed have a dos prompt so I'm happy about that! It takes me about 45 seconds including entering my password to get full boot so not as fast as the SSD but still within reason.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

After a short while you may have great difficulty looking at the old type of displays. Its amazing how quick we adapt and get used the screen we use daily. I have had a Dell 27in for 5 years and I could not buy one smaller now. It's one of the positives I say to people about using PTE. In early days I would struggle to create good quality 16*12 prints, but here we are now able to see images bigger than that on a vibrant flat screen.

I have not looked back to check, but I don't think you had a SSD fitted. We have just had a new PC built for my better half and it's much the same spec as what you have, but we went for a SSD for the C drive and it makes such a difference. Full boot up in under 20 seconds. It makes my PC look steam driven

To be honest I have been so impressed with the Solid State Drive that yesterday I bought one for my own PC. Just need to pluck up the courage to install it, along with the OS and all the programs and millions of usernames and passwords :rolleyes:/>/>

I am old school when it comes to SSD drives that boot the operating system. I move the paging file from SSD to my secondary HD. Most SSDs have a limited number of writes so they use wear leveling and over provisioning. If you have a lot of RAM then it shouldn't be a problem but if you have less than 4GB and you have HD then you might consider migrating your page file to HD. The SSD technology has improved so most people don't worry about such things.

Tom

Tom

Really ! Firstly I don't have the first clue what you're talking about and wouldn't know a paging file if one jumped up and bit me.

I am sure you don't have to be a technician to use a SSD. Don't we just fit and forget them like all the others?

I think I will just plug it in, install windows and hope for the best :blink:/>/> I can't cope with KFSD and Paging files in the same year :rolleyes:/>

Tom

Really ! Firstly I don't have the first clue what you're talking about and wouldn't know a paging file if one jumped up and bit me.

I am sure you don't have to be a technician to use a SSD. Don't we just fit and forget them like all the others?

I think I will just plug it in, install windows and hope for the best :blink:/>/>/> I can't cope with KFSD and Paging files in the same year :rolleyes:/>/>

Yes, you can, Barry!! A paging file is simply a file set up by Windows as 'virtual memory', so that if the operations happening on your computer demand more memory space, Windows will shovel some of the lesser used RAM memory contents into the page file, thus making more room in RAM for whatever operation needs it. If subsequent operations want whatever is in the page file back again, Windows does another shuffle and puts the wanted bits back into RAM memory. A typical page file is 1.5 to 2 times your memory size, so typically 5 or 6 GB for a 32-bit system. The requirements for Win 7 and 8 are a bit different, it would pay to google it if you want to know.

Regards,

Colin

Colin

With the greatest of respect I couldn't possibly care less about this. :rolleyes:/> I have no interest in these technicalities whatsoever. The PC either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't I will fix it, but it's been working for 2 years so putting a SSD in is not likely to grind it to a stop, is it !

Tom

I get the impression you're not in favour of a computer being a domestic appliance like a fridge. I think you will find most people are of a similar mind and that is exactly what they want. Its why we have an Operating system and software to separate us from all that technical mumbo jumbo, so we can be free to be creative.

Barry,

My point is there are things you can do to make your SSD last longer and also increase the free space on your boot drive. Nothing more.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html

Tom

My point is that many people and ME are not a bit interested in the technical aspects of our PC. I fully appreciate that some are and it's the very technical aspect that appeals to them. Live and let live I say. Sure I have learned a lot over the years to get myself out of trouble or install new hardware, but the SSD I have bought will be out of date long before it fails. That I can almost guarantee.

With a 250gig SSD and all the programs and OS I use I will still have 100gig unused, maybe a little less as time rolls on.

It's working out really well Judy. The system has all the power I need to do any conceivable animation and run it at 2560x1600. I just put a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX certified speakers on and I think my neighbors will probably call the police if I'm not careful - LOL. The sub-woofer will blow everything off my desk if I crank up the bass even half way. I put a 900 watt 1500 Joule battery backup on which gives me a full hour of battery backup in case of power failure.

I really like the 30" display because I can actually "read" normal text. High resolution text in 12 point size on a smaller display is so tiny I can hardly make it out, but on the 30" display it's quite legible even at 2560x1600 resolution. I couldn't read text on my 21" CRT at 1600x1200 so I did most of my work at 1024x768 - not a problem with this big 30.

Now I just have to save enough to buy Photoshop CS6 Extended for it and I'll be ready to work in PTE on it instead of my older system. I'm keeping it pretty lean and not putting too much in the way of surplus software on it. The C: drive partition is pretty small so I won't tax it

Best regards,

Lin

Great! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine! Some time back it took me a while to get used to a 23" screen. It was just so BIG! Now I use 2 of them. I will be curious to know how you get along with 30" of it!

Thanks Geoff,

I'll look into that - sounds like the way to go for me. Old habits die hard and I "hate" learning a new OS....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin if you want a more familiar look to Windows 8.1 take a look here http://www.classicshell.net/ I've been using it for about 6 weeks, and find it gives the best of both worlds.

Regards

Geoff