WnSoft Forums

Senile confusion

MUR

Mini-Rant:

LOL - like most "reviews" - they must be taken with a grain of salt. Essentially the comments are far more useful in my opinion than the "stars." The stars simply reflect how well the person doing the rating "liked or disliked" the presentation and offer nothing of substance to the author about why.

As an example - some users are steeped in tradition and an AV which doesn't tell a story or offer some educational content is virtually useless. If the images don't appear and change on a musical "beat" then this reviewer will assign only a few or no "stars" because the presentation didn't meet their expectations which reflect their own personal subjective bias. Some AV's are only designed to demonstrate the potential of the product in terms of effects and/or animation and may not have any semblance of artistic or traditional AV value. A person who comes from the traditional AV mind set "may" have absolutely no interest in this and thus give the presentation a very low rating.

Slideshowclub has divided the presentations into "demo" and "slideshow" sections, but this doesn't stop those who dislike the demonstration type show from giving it very few stars. People who use the number of stars as a quick means of deciding whether or not to download the presentation are sometimes being deceived by this.

My personal opinion is that it should be mandatory for anyone who uses the "stars" to comment verbally on why they liked or didn't like the presentation. That is, if you choose a number of "stars" then you must explain why. Otherwise this has zero significance. In my opinion if one chooses to rate by stars and there is no comment their "star" rating should not be accepted by the software.

Lin

Great words, but we also know that many authors, (not only of audio visuals) are not a bit interested in true feedback even when they openly state that. Many of US have had our fingers burned by offering comment and it's not comment that some authors wants, its praise.

So, over time all you see is back slapping, but then we have been here and written this many times before :)

Barry, I can't say what "many authors" are interested in - I wouldn't presume to know another's mind. Perhaps some do want praise more than critique, perhaps not. However, the little "stars" are meaningless except to indicate whether the reviewer liked or disliked the presentation and without comments to clarify the decision IMHO it's about as useful as a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Best regards,

Lin

Barry, I can't say what "many authors" are interested in - I wouldn't presume to know another's mind.

I think your being very politically correct and diplomatic :) You have been around this forum and others for enough time to know why comments are rarely made. I agree the stars are meaningless, but we rarely see real constructive comment and I am as guilty as the next person for taking the view, I can't be bothered, not with making suggestions, but what comes after. If a person really wants feedback they should perhaps consider a PM to those they trust and ask for direct personal feedback to them via PM. Perhaps enthusiasts would feel more comfortable with that and the author would get more honest feedback. The only other way to get honest feedback is if the author and those making the comments are not known to one another.

If a person really wants feedback they should perhaps consider a PM to those they trust and ask for direct personal feedback to them via PM. Perhaps enthusiasts would feel more comfortable with that and the author would get more honest feedback. .

If I want feedback to improve a show that is exactly what I do with a few people whose opinion I trust (plus I reciprocate).

Mickp

Hi all.

OK, explanations are good, but it still seems a little redundant. It can be only one,where the stars be marked or a comment is made, or both.
For me the comments are always good, because they approve or disapprove, and help me, for future work. It is depressing that placing many post (in demos) and be totally ignored.
MUR