WnSoft Forums

Fonts used to be packed in back-up zip

Currently fonts are only included in the back-up zip file if they had been rasterised in the project.

Igor has always maintained that rasterising is no longer necessary. However, if you will be working on another computer (someone else's) you are not guaranteed that your existing fonts will be replicated if they don't exist on the other computer.

Some design programs do pack all the components including fonts used in their back-up zip. Hence the suggestion that the new version does that too. Then the need for rasterising can be buried for ever.

Roel

Hi Roel,

In order to support this request would it be a good idea to name a couple of examples and how they achieve it?

Dont fonts have to be "installed" in order to use them - do the softwares automatically install them?

What happen's if the user uses a font which has license restrictions that prevent this?

Hers a link to the Powerpoint site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/826832

Phil

I have not had a problem with Windows fonts since maybe version 7 of PTE. They seem to play fine on my Mac and I know the fonts are not installed on my Mac. It's probably been a year or longer since I have tested but it was working for me.

I remember that Adobe Flash and I think Acrobat could embed fonts. Fonts do not seem to be an issue for me.

Tom

• 1 month later...

I come back on this problem raised by Roel.

On my side I can see two inconveniences :

1) as Roel said, the fonts are not included within the back-up zip file and we cannot work the same project onto two different PCs if they do not have the font sets installed

2) depending on Windows version, Microsoft does not provide the same set of fonts, and so if you want to rework on your old projects you may not find the right font embeded on your  last Windows version, and to add a little difficulty on top of that, PTE keeps no information about the font name used.

My suggestion, in order to avoid the Phil relevant questions, would be that the rasterized texts should be automatically added within the back-up zip file.

Best regards

Daniel

I never bought a font, so I presume that the fonts installed on my computer are free of use, even if I am not allowed to distribute them.

Even if I bought a font, I would have the right to copy it from one computer to an other, as far as I am the user of this second computer.

Of course I have no right to sell any font file if I am not the author, and I don't have the right to give a copy to anybody.

Typically, I am allowed to copy the font file in a folder and then instal the folder on an other computer to perform a training, and I have to desintal the folder when the training is achieved.

For instance, when I spend my hollidays at my mother's house, I Install a copy of Photoshop CC to continue to edit my photographies, and I have 3 other copies installed on 2 PC and one Mac.
All is legal, as far as I am the sole registered user of these copies.

Sorry for my confusion of the topic. You are NOT talking about embedding the ttf/otf fonts in the .exe or binhex into the .pte file, but only in the backup .zip file. The reference to special fonts in the .pte source requires copying to another computer.

There are many free fonts https://www.google.com/fonts available, but  some fonts are not free and the type foundry might not like this idea.

Tom

4 minutes ago, tom95521 said:

Sorry for my confusion of the topic. You are NOT talking about embedding the ttf/otf fonts in the .exe or binhex into the .pte file, but only in the backup .zip file. The reference to special fonts in the .pte source requires copying to another computer.

There are many free fonts https://www.google.com/fonts available, but  some fonts are not free and the type foundry might not like this idea.

Tom

You're right.

PTE is not allowed to copy the font files in a PTE exe file, because it would be a way to distribute them.

How does your system differentiate between free and licensed fonts on someone else's computer? It relies on the knowledge (or ignorance) of the user.

I assume that PTE avoids this problem by not including the facility. 

I also wonder if the fonts resident on your pc are deemed to be licensed to you alone by virtue of the fact that you purchased (licensed) the software with which they were supplied. In that sense you purchased all of the fonts on your pc other than any free fonts that you downloaded. :)

Tonton Bruno

Thanks for sharing this app which provides an interesting workaround solution.

However, it would be better if by default, PTE could add automatically rasterized texts, embedded inside the back-up zip file, just in case of !

Best regards

Daniel

Guest Yachtsman1

I've come into this late, but wasn't rasterizing a feature from a previous version that was dropped in an effort to reduce either costs or size? :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

r1.jpg

Hi Eric,

The suggestion is when editing a slideshow on a different computer that may not have the same fonts installed.  It would be nice to have the font files included in the slideshow source files backup zip. I almost always use the same computer to create slideshows and rarely use custom fonts.  Slideshow viewing makes no difference because the fonts are (somehow) converted into a vector format that can be scaled without losing resolution. The rasterize to PNG option is not really needed.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I seem to remember that problems started after 6 with scrolling text where it became jerky & the sharpening feature was introduced, or I could be talking out of my seat? My only meeting with rasterization was with digital marine charts when we lived aboard & were more expensive than standard charts. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.