WnSoft Forums

Are you interested in "Disable Print Screen" ?

boxig

Hi to all,

I made a small utility which will disable the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard when a user is running your show. The difference between using the "Disable print screen" in PTE project and this utility is that PTE will pop up a message and the utility is a "secret agent undercover".

Now you jump and say: "..we don't need it..we can use PTE option which make the same.."

Ha Ha, really ???

Ok, try this: make a demo show and check the "Don't allow <print Screen> to copy pictures" in "Advanced" tab in "project options". Run your show and print screen. The PTE message will pop up saying something about the selfish author who don't like other people to copy his pictures. Now click on the blue title bar of the message and drag it outside your sdreen (if you can't do that, just drag it out and leave 2-3 milimeters seen at the corner).

Now "Print Screen". You have a copy.

Igor !? people are stealing my precious pictures !

Ok, my utility is not perfect either. What I mean is, it really disable the "print screen" but if user will be smart enought, he will go to the CD, open the show then, if he knows what I have just told you, will copy your images.

In short, this utility gives you extra protection ( this is like using two condoms with holes).

Another advantage is that you can use it with any presentation made with any other program. You put the utility in the CD in same place as your show and tell the "autorun.inf" to open the utility and not the show. You give the ustility the name of your show and you call your show "Presentation.exe".

When inserting the CD, a small nice window will open telling "Start Presentation". When the user click on it, your show will start and "Print Screen" is disabled. When exit the show, there will be a small button saying "Exit" and "Thank You". click on it and it disappeare (and "Print Screen" is enable again.

I sill need to improve it, but I'm lazy, so I didn't upload it yet. But if you are interested and cant wait, let me know here and if enough people I will upload. If only few, I will send it by mail.

Wait...wait... I just found a way how user can not find your presentation on the CD. Let me work on it a few hours more and make some tests.

Thank you all

Granot

Utility finished. (Igor, I sent you email).

User Can't copy show from CD (he will not find your show, unless he is very expert). Also you Can't stop utility from Task Bar in case of not full screen show.

These were my two last problems - solved.

I will put a notice when ready to download.

Granot

I am going to catch it for this but Igor might better spend his time fixing bugs fullfilling promises etc than trying to make his program a guardian of everybody's pictures

People -- if you dont want to take a chance that your work will not be copied DONT SELL IT and dont put your pictures on the internet -- it is a simple solution but this subject comes up in different forms time and time again and it is a waste of bandwidth.

deal with honest people and charge a fair price -- and go to bed at night with a satisfied feeling that you have had a good day.

ken

Well Ken, I can only agree "partially" with you. I agree Igor's time can better be spent on other aspects. That is why it is nice of boxig to contribute his ideas as he does. Whether it is "important", is, as you know, up to each of us. I think though it is not a waste of bandwidth. As fellow old timers, you and I must realize how much we have learned from sturff that may have seemed a waste of bandwidth to someone.

By the way, I thought of you yesterday when I saw a photo and short bit about how photography is prohibited of many of the bridges around the country. All your bridge work would not now be allowed! I suppose one could, in some cases, get a "permit?" Or you can reallly give someone something to worry about by sneaking around at night to get your shots. ;)

Rudi, you're right, it's not possible to totally protect our own pictures, that can be captured also by a popular software like IrfanView. But we are relatively few hackers ( ;) !!! ) who know these "fine" techniques. I think the people who buy photographs don't know even the function of "Print" key, and probably will try to save the image by a right click of mouse, like in Internet...

So I welcome Granot's utility, that can discourage all those who will try to steal pictures, and makes difficult also to copy a presentation from a CD.

Granot: I would like to have your print disable utility. While the discussion has valid points, I just try to "keep the honest people honest" by not making copying easy for the average viewer. I also agree that the average viewer, we send our portrait previews out on PTE CDs, is not that hip to getting around disablers. Sometimes they go over the time limit for making their decisions and call the studio to ask for a new CD. Clock changing is not that tough.

please send to

vaughn@sofnet.com

Thanks and I like the items on your Cottage site

• 11 years later...