WnSoft Forums

Animation - Unexpected Change of Object Position Between Keyframes

Tejano Bob

Slide has three pictures: 1) Landscape with straight, two-lane highway beginning at bottom left of screen and ending at the horizon halfway up 2 & 3) Two car pictures, a Mazda and a Ford. The landscape begins at 5.000.

The Mazda has no problem, and travels down the highway to the horizon, but has keyframes at 5.000, 6.130, 7.184, 7.989, 8.749, 9.575 & 10.238. Ending at 13.150.

The Ford begins at the horizon and travels forward. Keyframes at 5.000, 6,054, 7.184, 7.989, 9.575, 10.717, 11.474. Ending at 13.150.

Problem: The Ford, between keyframes 9.575 and 10.717,  backs up slightly before continuing forward. This can be observed in the preview, or by scanning manually. The Zoom at 9.9.575 is 293.154. At 10.717, it is 697.726

I fixed the problem. I'm not sure, but I think it had something to do with the fact that The landscape background and the Mazda had a parent/child relationship. Also, I had too many keyframes in the Ford, but I don't think that had anything to do with the problem. The Mazda required a lot of keyframes because the highway narrowed down very quickly, but I got by with only three in the Ford. I still don't understand how the  Ford could reverse direction between keyframes, but no matter, the problem is fixed. I really like the manual scan between keyframes. It makes troubleshooting easy.  I didn't know about the zip file, so that's a suggestion I'll store for the future.

I'm still having problems with animation. Let me explain, I using a trial version of Studio 10. I was using ProShow producer, and one way I', evaluating Studio 10 is by trying to recreate a video that I  made on ProShow. I have had a few problems along the way, but I've been impressed with some of the ways Studio 10 works, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Director version of Studio 10. So far I've been successful in recreating this video, but one slide is giving me trouble. It's a simple background of a rocky canyon with the silhouette of an eagle flying from one rock to another in the Grand Canyon. It follows a swooping path from one rock to the other. On my ProShow project, the movement was very smooth, but on the Studio 10 it's jerky. If I use only 2 keyframes, and set the animation to be a straight line from point to point, the movement is very smooth, but as soon as I try add keyframes and set them for a swooping path, I cannot get a smooth movement.

Two things Bob - first, the extra keyframe positions to keep things consistent must be at positions which are not going to force the eagle silhouette to speed up or slow down relative to the start and end position.  Just eyeball it and divide them evenly.

Second, you will probably want to use smooth or possibly slow down to get the movement to suit.  

Again, if you zip up the project and post a link - I'll be glad to fix it and point out where the problem was.

Best regards,

Lin 

Thanks Lin, but I have a couple of problems with that. First, I don't have a Zip app on my computer. I used to have one, but lost it when I had a computer crash. I'm looking for a new one.  When I find a Zip app, the next thing I need are instructions for uploading the zipped file to Studio. com. I've made some improvement to the Eagle silhouette Slide and it's better than it was. The last thing I tried was to establish the levels of the path and take the sine of each amplitude, since the path is a parabola.

Additional note: This is a very small file. I'm trying to simply upload it.

Eagle Sihouette Flight.pte

Well, THAT didn't work. I performed those steps and got a file that I thought was zipped. When I tired to upload it, I found that the file was still 34 MB and, of course that wouldn't upload. So I tried zipping it with WinZip, which I recently downloaded. I'll make another attempt to upload the file.

Eagle Silhouette Flight.zip

Hi Bob,

Up on the top right of your main screen - click on File then Create Backup in Zip. This will zip EVERYTHING necessary to run the PTE file. It zips all slides, animations, styles, anything that has been used. The zip file you created above has nothing except the .PTE file which is virtually useless without the rest. Whatever the size of the zip file, just use a service such as :

https://www.capterra.com/sem-compare/file-sharing-software?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorjkyaPt6AIVV__jBx3PtwbmEAAYBCAAEgKhqfD_BwE

When you have uploaded your zip file you will be given a link to give which allows the download of the entire project. Just the PTE file as in your Eagle Silhouetter Filght.zip won't allow other users to run your project - all the necessary files are zipped up if you follow the instructions above..

Best regards,

Lin

58 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Bob,

Up on the top right of your main screen - click on File then Create Backup in Zip. This will zip EVERYTHING necessary to run the PTE file. It zips all slides, animations, styles, anything that has been used. The zip file you created above has nothing except the .PTE file which is virtually useless without the rest. Whatever the size of the zip file, just use a service such as :

When you have uploaded your zip file you will be given a link to give which allows the download of the entire project. Just the PTE file as in your Eagle Silhouetter Filght.zip won't allow other users to run your project - all the necessary files are zipped up if you follow the instructions above..

Best regards,

Lin

58 minutes ago, Lin Evans said:

Hi Bob,

https://www.capterra.com/sem-compare/file-sharing-software?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorjkyaPt6AIVV__jBx3PtwbmEAAYBCAAEgKhqfD_BwE

Best regards,

Lin

A short while after I uploaded that zipped file, I realized that it would probably not provide the information you require since it would not have gathered the information. But he Create Backup in Zip does not work. It DOES create a zip file, but it does not really zip it. The size remains at 38.2 MB. I tried to use the Create Backup in Zip agin, intending to use the URL you provided. Now it won't even create a zip file. I'm going to restart my computer and try again.

Well, it turns out I didn't really need to do that but no matter. It's done. I didn't realize I had to save my project before I could save the zipped file. I tried using the url you provided. That took me to a site where I could download a transfer program. I'm not sure I really want to buy yet another program, but I attempted to download a trial version of the one that seemed to be the best. Afterwards I could not find it in my download folder. So I guess I'll have to find another solution. I'm sure I'll become more proficient as I continue using Studio 10.

Thanks, Lin. I've made a note of both links for future use. In the meantime, I'll simple pass on a couple of things I've discovered. First, I have fixed my problem with the Eagle Silhouette file. I found that making the parabolic flight path more shallow made a smoother flight. But, continuing with the translation of my practice project from ProShow to Studio 10, I had a similar problem with Slide of a helicopter diving into a canyon, and coming to a rest just above the ground. The helicopter entered the screen at the upper right corner. and the flight was smooth in the Objects and Animation mode. In the review mode the flight was also smooth except that the helicopter paused momentarily immediately after entering the screen. I reasoned that the glitch had to be something external to the Objects and Animation mode. That was only partly true. I found that I could avoid the glitch by setting the transition time between slides to 0 on both this slide and the next slide. Moving back to the Objects and Animation mode, I found that I had the first keyframe set at the very beginning of the slide. When I restored the normal transition time and moved the first keyframe to after the normal transition time, the glitch did not occur. Maybe this will be useful to another newbie who runs into the same problem.

Strangely, some of the more involved animations I've been doing in Studio 10 have worked better than they did in ProShow.

Lin: During my trial period I was evaluating Studio 10 by recreating a practice project used in learning to use ProShow Gold. While I was impressed by Studio 10 and was pretty sure I was going to buy it, I wanted to see if I could do everything in Studio 10 that I had done in ProShow Gold. Although I had a few problems along the way. I was able, with the help of Barry Beckham's tutorials and this forum, to get them resolved. I have now purchased the director version of Studio 10 and feel that I'm ready to reach a little further. I'm sorry if this is overly wordy, but I think it's necessary to get to where I'm going.

While learning to use ProShow Gold I found a scene that I thought would be useful in learning to use PSG. It was a scene of a landscape with a distant highway running east and west. As it traveled west, it came around a curve and headed due south. At the bottom of the screen sat a white Volvo. I easily animated it to travel from the curve to the bottom of the screen. I searched for the side view of a white car, and was lucky to find a white Volvo of the same make and model. I animated it to travel from the east to the curve. The problem was that the Volvo had to change from the side view to the front view at the curve. Well, the curve was still in the distance, the Volvo small and traveling fast enough that the transition was made quickly and the change in the object not too noticeable. It wasn't elegant, but it worked.  I sent a suggestion to Photodex to create a morphing option to smoothly change one view of an object to another, but nothing ever came of it. Unfortunately, I can't attach a video of that project. I lost it in a computer crash. But I did a project , in Studio 10 just yesterday that is similar, but more complex. I intend to submit it to the forum, but it's part of a larger project so I need to extract just that part first. The background is a winding stream across the landscape. The object is a small plane that travels east, then west, then east again, so you're looking first at one side of the plane, then the other, then the first again, etc. It's not elegant, and it's not yet smooth, but it works. Then I thought of the tutorial you made for me and posted in General Discussion under "Masking." There was a part of the tutorial that showed a rotating Rubik's Cube, first one face, then another. I watched it again before writing this to make sure it was as smooth as I remembered it, and all I could say was "WOW!" Anyway, I'm going to extract the five slides of my Plane traveling along the stream, and attempt to submit it.

Oh, by the way, what URL should I use on the transfer program to submit the file?

Hi Bob,

The best way is to upload your file to YouTube and just post the link which will be automatically embedded. You may also post it to Vimeo with the same result. When the link is posted on either the PTE forum or the PTE facebook page, it will automatically embed.

Best regards,

Lin

I don't have a YouTube account. I was planning on using one of the File Transfer sites you mentioned. Yesterday, when I used Studio 10's "Backup in Zip, it was creating a zip file, but without really zipping it. The resulting zip file was still 38 MB. But this is a different file than the one I was trying to zip yesterday. I just tried again, and this time it actually zipped the file, so I'm going to try to attach it to this post.

Small Plane Following a Winding River_Apr 20-2020_14-23-46.zip