WnSoft Forums

Severe Memory Leak 10.5.2 Apple Silicon Build 4 [CLOSED]

Jimcamel

I was working with PTE yesterday and left it running overnight.  Had to forcer re-start the Mac this morning - PTE showed 125GB on Activity Monitor and in the Force Quit it showed 152GB (Activity Monitor and everything else was frozen at this point).

I re-started the project this morning, and it opened at 711MB and in the time it's taken me to write these sentences, and doing nothing with the app, it's grown to 948MB.

I can't really give you much more information at this point - other than the fact I had a small test project running - about 22 slides and some photos and a couple of video clips and it was just sitting there.  How can I get you more information ?  What would you need to help diagnose this should it happen again.

I will be working extensively with PTE this week on a project due next Saturday so I anticipate seeing it happening again and will try to get you the info if I know what would best help you.

JC - Mac Mini M1. 16GB ram / 2TB.  Big Sur 11.3.1

Hi Jim,

We didn't observe this problem with huge memory leaks earlier. Probably some file (image or video) cause this problem.

Can you send us this project? All files in a ZIP archive. If yes, call "Create backup in a ZIP" command from the main menu > FIle menu. Then upload the ZIP archive to WeTransfer.com or Google Drive and send me a download link in a private message through this forum.

I'll check this issue tomorrow on our Mac Mini M1.

As a temporary solution, just close PTE AV Studio when you don't work with this project.

In addition to my previous reply. If you have some spare time, please try the following.

We need to determine what file cause this problem. It can be a file used in this project, or file shown in the File List panel.

1. Run PTE AV Studio. Open that project. In the File List panel browse another folder, better if it would be a small folder with 10-50 images (no videos). Keep PTE AV Studio working in background and check memory usage later.

2. Restart PTE AV Studio. In the main menu > Help > choose "Open Sample Project". And also browse any simple folder in the File List (as in p.1 above). Check memory usage later.

Please let me know about results.

Hi Igor, I will work on both of these.....I've trashed the project that blew to 159GB overnight ... but I am working with the same files....as soon as I have a test case I will send you the link via WeTransfer.

I have also been testing on my m1 mini using big sur 11.5. I have noticed a slow memory leak in the editor with or without an open project that averages about 500 MB/hour. In my limited testing the preview .pteav player slowly increases in size to about 1.5 GB and then stops growing in size. I can lower the 1.5 GB size by pausing the show or reducing the window size from full 4K to smaller area on the screen. So I think something in the editor has a small problem with memory allocation. I think the operating system might be working in the background to help compress and cache files so memory will always be dynamic but should not continue to grow.

I am sure Igor will figure it out and until then I will not leave the editor open overnight until fixed.

Thanks,
Tom

I can't reproduce memory leaks on Mac Mini M1 yet. I opened the Objects and animation editor with several images, including Blur effect (I applied "Floating pictures" slide style) and opened Activity monitor. Memory usage of PTE didn't change at all in a half a hour.

Send me a test project (as simple as possible) where you can observe any memory leaks.

Also when you check for this problem, try to browse another folder in the File list panel. I opened a local folder with 30 JPEG images. 

Also let me know - if you keep PTE AV Studio window working in foreground or it minimized to the Dock. 

Hi Igor-just 8am here in Toronto...I was working on 'the project' till 2 last night so I have not had time to work on them em leak problem....trying to get the project to a first draft.....fortunately the problem has not affected me.  I will try and put the test case together for you this morning and send it along....and follow up on your suggestions.

jc

I was had a problem with the editor slowing increasing memory use with no project open. I exited PTE, moved PTE to trash in finder, rebooted the mac, and installed 10.5.3 build 1. Now the editor memory appears to be stable. PTE memory does change depending on screen size, which makes sense since the m1 has no separate memory for gpu.

I am still noticing that PTE keeps media files open from the previous project which increases memory size.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for testing. 

2 hours ago, tom95521 said:

I am still noticing that PTE keeps media files open from the previous project which increases memory size.

It's a very complex system of loading/caching for textures/images in system memory and GPU memory. File links for recently opened files don't consume memory.

Interesting. Not like the old days where you just open and close using file handles. Now the application language, operating system, and silicon all work together to optimize performance.

Thanks,
Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Igor - it's now Aug 30th and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, either, since first reporting it.  So, please close this issue.

If it occurs again, I'll be more careful to conserve the problem project and send it to you - but since the 11th of August I've pushed PTE very hard and haven't seen it again (despite all that, one did really balloon to over 150GB one night ..... strange gremlins).

jc

Hi Jim,

Thanks, please let me know if it will occur again. It's possible that this memory leak may appear with a certain combination of project files, animations and use of PTE AV Studio. Once we firmly reproduce it, the problem should be solved quickly.

• Igor changed the title to Severe Memory Leak 10.5.2 Apple Silicon Build 4 [CLOSED]
  • 2 months later...

I raise this subject again.

It seems that it's a bug in macOS Big Sur and Monterey on Macs with Apple M1 / Pro / Max chips.

Many users report that default apps, including Safari, Control Centre, Apple Music, and also other apps (Adobe) may consume dozens of gigabytes of system memory suddenly.

The most likely the memory manager in macOS doesn't work correctly when an app get/free memory arrays, especially if an app is running many days.

More information:

https://www.macworld.com/article/549755/m1-macbook-app-memory-leaks-macos.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookair/comments/k9xhsm/just_curious_if_other_people_encountered_this/

https://hothardware.com/news/apple-m1-pro-m1-max-memory-leak-issue

• 2 weeks later...