WnSoft Forums

Using the Ken Burns effect.

targa911

I'm making a show about early farming using many photos from from my glass negative collection. Also from photos I've taken. About 80 photos total, at this point. Do most people mix the Ken Burns effect within the show with straight photos or use Ken Burns effect throughout the show as kind of a documentary effect? Does the Ken Burns effect get a bit boring if done through entire show? I am trying to get a documentary feeling but not a fan of a lot of strange movements in shows. 

I haven't done an AV show for a while now, but I still watch as many as I can.....

I'm with you re "strange movements". Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

By Ken Burns effect I am assuming you are referring to pan/zoom.

Personally when I watch an AV I prefer no pan/zooming but I fully agree with it when you want the viewer to get an overall look and then zoom into an important aspect of an image.

Using the Ken Burns effect on every picture make no sense to me (But I know many will disagree:)). Use it to sparingly add variety throughout the presentation

If I were doing an presentation on early farming, particularly from glass negatives, I would just use a simple fade transition with no movement. But if there were one or two images that had an important/very interesting aspect to it, then sure use the effect, but use it slowly.

That's my thinking anyway (knowing I am perhaps "old school":rolleyes:

Totally agree with you JRR

I find the constant zooming that some people use horrible to watch, it makes me feel extremely nauseous & dizzy.
You want the viewer to see the content of the images, not how clever you are using effects.

When you feel a Zoom is neccessary it is often better to start close & then zoom out slowly to show the whole image.

But only use it occasionally.

Jill

Targa

Here’s a radical idea.

Make your own mind up, you can’t create AV via a committee. Whatever you ask, you’ll get some for it and some against.  Create what you like and watch it yourself a dozen times (or more) before you publish it. You’ll soon get a feel for what works and what doesn’t. 

I have created a number of slideshows from various vacations where the audience is typically family and friends.  The "shows" range from about 15 minutes to almost an hour.  The effect I have used most was the "Ken Burns" effect which is basically pan zoom.  The software I had been using allowed assigning this effect (or other effects) to all of the slides if you wish or just some selected slides.  It also had a "randomize" setting which would vary the actual effect from slide to slide (e.g., if all the slides were Ken Burns and you randomize, then the pan-zoom is different from one slide to the next).  Then I would go through the "show" slide by slide and tweak individual slides if needed.  Sometimes I would reverse the Ken Burns effect to zoom out rather than in.  The goal I am generally going for is to not call too much attention to the transitions and effects since I did not want to distract from the images and videos themselves.  

Barry, I agree to an extent. Mostly what I do is to save memories of old farming communities. Want to keep the video's kind of vintage yet historical. But not to hokey! Any music suggestion for my farming video?

Really enjoy your steam engines videos. Also I go a ways back on PTE and have several of your dvd's. The car video is a big favorite of mine. Also am a subscriber to your your tube channel!