WnSoft Forums

Chroma Key?

goddi

Greetings,

I'm trying to help a friend who is new to PTE on how to use a 'greenscreen'. I know nothing about it and I searched the Help files for 'chroma key' but nothing shows up.

Are there detailed instructions on how to use the 'chroma key' in PTE? I've searched everywhere and could not find anything.

Thanks...Gary

Lin's article on Chroma Key was a Version 8 "How To". If you search for "Chroma", you will find a broken link to it. I will delete that broken link.

Version 8 is no longer supported and all of the "How To" articles were deleted some time ago, most having been updated to Version 9 or Version 10.

Perhaps someone here saved it as a PDF?

If anyone who uses it would like to write an updated version of "Chroma Key" in Version 10 it could easily be added to the OH.

DG

It's very easy to do.

Off the top of my head as I am not at the computer.

In O&A click on chroma key. A window opens.

Click the little eye dropper and drag onto the background to select the green screen colour. You can adjust the strength using the slider. Then click ok.

The green screen background should disappear leaving just the image.

Jill

Greetings,

Yes, I had found that discussion. But for someone that has never used Chroma Key, it has not helped. I do notice the 'Chroma Key' only appears in the menu for videos, not for stills. So I still don't know the steps needed. I'd like the 'Steps for a Dummy' on how to do this. I've played around with the eyedropper, but I just don't know what I am supposed to do.

Gary

Greenscreen does only apply to video.
If you have a still image you simply take it into Photoshop or other editing program & cut out the part you want & save it as a .png.

With video the subject is usually moving so you can't simply cut it out.

You first need a background image that the greenscreen footage will sit over.

The Chroma key image will usually have a green or blue background.
This is what you are removing with the eye dropper.

Jill

3 hours ago, jkb said:

It's very easy to do.

Off the top of my head as I am not at the computer.

In O&A click on chroma key. A window opens.

Click the little eye dropper and drag onto the background to select the green screen colour. You can adjust the strength using the slider. Then click ok.

The green screen background should disappear leaving just the image.

Jill

Thanks Jill,

I have never had the need or desire to explore this feature so I left it to Lin.

I seem to remember that his article was a lot more "wordy" than yours, but that was Lin. :)

Or was the procedure perhaps more involved in Version 8?

DG

They are really easy to make if you have an evenly lit green background. Even then the reflected light from the green can leave a tint or halo around the foreground object if the lighting is not perfect. Green screens have been replaced in movies and news channels by projection or HDTV backgrounds because it removes the green halo effect.

Sample video from https://mixkit.co/free-stock-video/female-reporter-reporting-with-microphone-in-hand-on-a-chroma-28293/

Tom