WnSoft Forums

Creating mp4's

Almark

A friend was having problems creating a mp4. Mac V11. The project was 3:2 ratio, most images were about 1400x900, although many were 1400 on one edge and the other edge ranged from 820 to 950. A few images were over 2000 pixels wide, some over 3,000 and some over 4,000 these big ones looked like 16:9 to me.

I made a custom mp4 3,000 x 1500 and it took 30 minutes and produced a 1GB mp4
I then made one at 1500x100 and it took 5 minutes and produced a 146MB mp4
Both were 60fps with the other settings as default (or as I last let them).

Using a 2019 iMac with 8GB Graphics Card.

I usually resize my images to what I need them, usually 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. If I need more wriggle room for aligning horizons or moment I just make a slightly bigger version of that one slide. Before I offered my friend this advice, I wanted to check with you that this is correct, or at least better than having images of vastly different sizes and ratios.

If your intended output is mp4 and not exe then why resize at all?

The size (in kb or mb) of images has no bearing on the eventual size of the mp4.

Resizing images is only necessary for exe output where the size of the exe is dependant on the size of the images used.

DG

56 minutes ago, davegee said:

If your intended output is mp4 and not exe then why resize at all?

The size (in kb or mb) of images has no bearing on the eventual size of the mp4.

Resizing images is only necessary for exe output where the size of the exe is dependant on the size of the images used.

DG

This is my understanding as well.  Thanks for confirming, Dave!

Just that I am usually making an MP4 last minute to get it into an event/Competition, so need it done soon so that I have still have time to check it all out before sending!!

Also I always make an exe as well, sometimes they come out smaller, sometimes the MP4 is smaller. Depends on how much video input is in the show.

Jill