WnSoft Forums

PTE AV Studio has stopped working

macian

On opening my last project the slide list thumbnails are greyed out and the spinning beachball of death runs for ever! I can only escape by using Force Quit.

Mac Ventura 13.4.1

PTE 11.0.6

Hi,

Try to reset settings of PTE AV Studio 11 on your Mac.

1. Make sure that PTE AV Studio is not launched in the Dock.

2. Download the following special uninstaller and run it.

https://files.wnsoft.com/pteavstudio/RemovePTEAVStudio.app-11-0.zip

3. Tick an option 'Reset PTE AV Studio configuration'. Confirm the uninstallation.

4. Run PTE AV Studio again.

Let me know about a result.

I have been working on a slide show all week-end with no issues on MBP-M1 with PTE latest edition, (at least checking for update said so). I rebooted so I would have a clean machine for my talk tomorrow at 10 AM EDT. But, PTE locked up with a spinning progress icon showing the PTE folder menu. Numerous restarts and shutdowns didn't help. I can present the talk using the player, but I can't use the PTE app.

I logged into a "test" account and PTE did not lock up, but indicated I needed to activate it, which I could not easily do because I can not display the Help screen.

I also downloaded an eval copy of PTE and loaded it as a separate app. Both apps locked up.

What should I do to resolve the issue.

Doug Bolt

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.02.48 PM.png

I got my nerve up and deleted both the copy of PTE I had been using and the one I downloaded and installed an hour or so ago. The Mac now seems to be running fine, except for PTE. After deleting both copies, I re-ran the PTE Studio install app and the app locked up, as before. But, the PTE player displays the slideshow with no issues. So I can sleep well tonight knowing (I hope) the talk will go on as planned.

I still need to get PTE to run on this MBP M1 13.4.1

Before reading the above messages, I bought and installed PTE v11 for the Mac. After installing v11 (v10 had already been deleted), activation was successful, but when I clicked on v11, I got the same lockup depicted in the attached screenshot.

I repeated the removal process with the uninstall app, but I noticed that Studio was still in the list of Applications. I moved it to trash and rerun the uninstall app, which said that it removed it successfully even though I had previously sent Studio from the app list to trash. Reinstall of Studio 11 again caused the lockup with the spinning progress icon.

Now what?

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 5.13.02 AM.png

Still puzzled!

Ran uninstall, Studio still in apps list. Studio said it was successful. Checked Apps list and Studio was still there. Moved Studio to trash. Ran Uninstall again even though Studio was not in apps list. It again said it was successful. Removed all listings of Studio from Trash and re-started Mac. Installed Studio from downloaded file. And, same issue, spinning circle.

But, the player still works (fortunately, put a copy of the talk on a zip drive before the problem started) and I'm off to give my talk.

Macian,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the talk went very well using the Player app and the .pteav version of the show I had luckily copied to a zip drive before rebooting the MBP. Recall the lockup issue started after I restarted the machine to provide a "virgin" machine for my talk today.

Someone asked after the talk which slide-making program I used to present the slides. They liked the result. I told them the new PTE version for Mac performs like the PC version I've used for years. I didn't mention my current issue.

Doug

That's good to know.

If all else fails, (hopefully never!) we could use Apple Keynote to a presentation. I know that PTE is superior by a mile, but sometimes it's good to have a fallback scheme.

Hi Doug,

I very apologise for this unpleasant problem with PTE on your Mac!

Now I'm in mountains and will return to home this Friday.

I need to explore that issue with the Mac version.

Right now I can offer you only the solution which you already tried:

1. Remove PTE from Applications to a Bin.

2. Restart Mac

3. Run the Uninstaller utility

4. Reinstall PTE to Applications.

Also please make sure that you use the latest update 11.0.6

Igor, 

5 hours ago, Igor said:

Hi Doug,

I very apologise for this unpleasant problem with PTE on your Mac!

Now I'm in mountains and will return to home this Friday.

I need to explore that issue with the Mac version.

Right now I can offer you only the solution which you already tried:

1. Remove PTE from Applications to a Bin.

2. Restart Mac

3. Run the Uninstaller utility

4. Reinstall PTE to Applications.

Also please make sure that you use the latest update 11.0.6

Igor, 

Igor,

I'm not in a hurry now that my talk is over.

FYI, I installed v11 on an old Macbook AIR (2018 ver), and Studio runs fine. Slow for processing, but no issues with Studio.

The last time I ran the uninstall app, I also selected to remove changes in styles and themes.

I noticed the Studio install brought over my 10.5 ver changes by default. I don't have any reason to believe the issue (file corruption, I suppose) might be contained in my old 10.5 files, and I don't know if an option to skip bringing over the 10.5 features would be worthwhile —  just a thought.

Just a thought, but my MBP having lockup issues makes Time Machine entries every hour, so it should be possible to reinstate specific files created at a specific time to identify a corrupt file. That assumes the problem is file corruption, and I don't know if that is so. Otherwise, I welcome suggestions for how to get Studio working again.

Hi,

I'll update our Mac mini M1 to macOS Ventura 13.4.1 next Monday to see how PTE AV Studio works with it.

Doug, you can try to skip import of settings from previous V10.5 for V11 when you uninstalled all settings of PTE AV Studio (using the uninstaller utility I've posted above).

One possible explanation that the problem may be related with a certain folder (and images) which is highlighted in the Tree of folders on the main window when you start PTE AV Studio on your Mac. PTE tries to extract a thumbnail of an image (images) from that folder and freezes.

I think that Time Machine shouldn't affect to PTE AV Studio.

I sometimes run First Aid from the Disk Utility app to check for errors.  I have not had problems with PTE Apple Silicon for Mac in version 11.0.6 and Ventura 13.4.1.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I updated our Mac Mini with M1 chip (Apple Silicon) to the newest macOS Ventura 13.4.1. 

No problem with PTE AV Studio 11 (and 10.5). Both versions work correctly.

We discovered one reason of freezing on Mac. If a folder chosen in the File Tree (File List) contains at least one JPEG image in CMYK color space, PTE AV Studio will freeze on Mac. We'll fix this problem in the nearest update.