WnSoft Forums

Worth thinking about - the value of free updates

Bethan

Hi all

In recent years I have seen more and more software companies opt for the 'one year licence' approach to selling their products. Effectively, you buy a piece of software and are entitled to support and updates for one year - and then purchase an upgrade or extend your licence for another year. I have always had some reservation about this approach - and have more than once experienced a program where no updates are actually issued within that year, and suddenly, upon expiration of the licence, a major update happens! And the reply from the developer is usually "oh we are very sorry but you'll have to purchase the upgrade" (again, and again). I could actually end up paying hundreds of dollars or pounds for a piece of software that cost say $30 to begin with. Of course the worst scenario is when you need to upgrade simply to access a code update that recognizes and works with a new operating system, or service pack update (e.g., MS Service Pack 2).

This week alone I have had several emails from developers enticing me to renew (yet again) their software. Often I find myself bombarded with publicity and upgrade offers (Macromedia, ACDsee, Adobe etc etc). Software that began life as fairly priced utilities suddenly become monsters requiring a mortgage to finance. Having established themselves as leaders in their area and locked customers in they then feel free to abuse the relationship - often providing less than useful support in the process.

And I realised that Igor/PTE would appear to be (in my software collection) the sole remaining provider of a lifetime licence. This is a remarkable thing in todays world of opportunist pricing policies and suspicious 'upgrade' offers. Currently we are waiting for the next wonderful version of PTE - in the knowledge that we will all have access to this major upgrade without needing to purchase a new licence. I would like to offer a personal thanks to Igor and PTE for continuing to work and develop his software in the way that he does - without trying to squeeze his customers dry. He is entitled to request licence renewals. He chooses not to. It's quite amazing really!

Thank you Igor!

Beth

I also agree. I have updated PTE since my original purchase and would certainly be prepared to pay for any major upgrade such as the one we are all waiting for.

jevans

The internet is riddled with pirate software, which cannot be condoned but with the policies in place by some companies as outlined by Bethan it can only make matters worse. Igor and his team do a wonderful job with PTE enabling users to create some truly inspired and entertaining slideshows. Long may this continue and long may Igor and his team recieve the support of the PTE using community.

I also agree. I have updated PTE since my original purchase and would certainly be prepared to pay for any major upgrade such as the one we are all waiting for.

I completely agree with you Jeff - although last time I suggested it, I was rather lamblasted by some of the more impoverished folk here.

I just wish Igor would make some kind of voluntary contribution available on the website whereby licenced users who value his work and gain monetary value from it (pro photographers) could donate an extra few £'s as and when they see fit to enable him carry out all the work he does.

Barry,

Yes, we plan to increase price when v5.00 will arrive (maybe $47 for Business license), but, of course, no additional payments for buyers of old versions of PTE.

Maybe our pricing is not suitable for larger companies, but we find it optimal for PTE.

Also many people help us with advices and beta-testing of PicturesToExe.

p.s. please wait a little more for v5.00 beta. It's a difficult and long work and we want to show reliable product. Just so serious step in development of PTE required to write a lot of new code, keeping in the mind future features of v5.00 and next versions. All next versions will be released much faster than v5.00 because we've wrote now the new base/foundation.

Like others I am delighted and very thankful to Igor and his team, not only for a wonderful product but for the way they are willing to develop it to meet our needs.

I believe that the best way to show our support is to actively promote PTE to new users. I am happy to say that I do this on a regular basis and in addition to the quality of the programme, there are 3 great selling points: Free upgrades for life, the fact that Igor welcomes our views and the support and help available through the forum. SO HELP THE TEAM BY PROMOTING PTE and we all win!

As for a delay is the launch of version 5, of course we all want it today but we know it will be worth the wait.

As for the proposed price increase for the new version - even $47 is low for a professional licence, why not $50.

Thank you again Igor and best wishes for version 5.

Joe.

In my opinion is the pricing of PTE the best guarantee to avoid illegal copying. If only all softwaregigants realised themselves that a lot of private persons, who use their software just for a hobby and not for making a living need another pricingsystem than the professionals. I think this would bring down piratery a whole lot.

For now, we all are goodwilling and search intensively for alternative free- or shareware. (Audacity, SetUpStream, QuickMenuBuilder etc.)

Whenever I am asked how I made this "Powerpoint" presentation I keep it short. I tell them I use a nicely priced Russian program. And in the same breath I give them the url ánd assure it can be used in our native speak (which is nót Russian).

It's a hard world we live in :P , but I think Igor rules in the end!