WnSoft Forums

Moving image folders causes significant pain [SOLVED]

Mike-PDX

Similar to this issue:

(SOLVED) Copy project to another file...slides' locations don't adjust to new folder's location

I recently needed to rearrange my hard drives to create room for growth.  The result was that all my existing PTE projects lost track of their image and audio files.  The only solution I could fine was to manually go through each existing project one at a time to locate "missing" files.  My process is to keep the files for each project in a sub-folder of a common directory.  They are not stored with the projects themselves.

Is there, or could there be in a future update, a way to identify the common root directory one time for all those files?  Will I need to do this every time I rearrange my hard drives?  It is a painful process.

Create a Template from your Project.

This stores all of the used files, images/video/sounds in a .PT Folder.
By having a group Folder for alll of your Projects and storing each .PT Folder within that, they are all in one place.

They are also all accessible from within PTE

See File/Templates  and Settings/Preferences/Templates

Jill

8 hours ago, jkb said:

Create a Template from your Project.

This stores all of the used files, images/video/sounds in a .PT Folder.
By having a group Folder for alll of your Projects and storing each .PT Folder within that, they are all in one place.

They are also all accessible from within PTE

See File/Templates  and Settings/Preferences/Templates

Jill

This sounds like it might work.  Will I need to create this .PT folder for every PTE project?  Or can I simply rename the existing folders I already have with this .PT extension?  Also, can I then move the group folder to another drive, for example, if I need to for space reasons?

8 hours ago, Mike-PDX said:

Will I need to create this .PT folder for every PTE project

Yes, but PTE does it automatically.

Set up the main location in Preferences first.
Then within PTE open a show & select File/Templates/Create Template from this show.
It only takes a couple of Seconds to do.

Open each show in turn & create a Template from it.

You will see the list of Templates within PTE & it is then easy to open a show from there.

I only create the Template for finished shows. For Work in Progress I keep using the existing Folders

I have moved all my Templates to another computer in one go and as long as you tell PTE in Preferences where the main Folder is located, it will find all your shows.
I can then easily copy a new .PT folder into the main folder on a different computer & PTE will pick it up.

It is also very useful for backup of all your shows

Rather than moving the Template Folder to another drive, I would move your original folders off if you need space.
If you did change the Drive then you would need to update Preferences to show the new Drive.

I have been using PTE for around 20 years & usually make a Template for each show once it is complete.
It keeps everything in one place.

I then copy the published exe or MP4 file into the .PT Folder so I can easily locate them as well.

Jill

OK, your suggestion seems to work, but with a couple of hitches.  First, creating the template appears to copy all the project resources, so I need to go back and delete the files from their original location.  Second, I occasionally build a simple slide show in another program like Power Point.  Now my resources are saved in different folders depending on which software I use.  Can I somehow consolidate all these folders together?

There is no need to delete the files in their original location, that is up to you & how you manage your space.

If you use a different program to create a show, then you will have to manage those files manually.
You could still create a Folder within the main Templates Folder for them to keep everything together, but PTE will not pick it up.

Jill

Thanks for the help!  This approach will work, and I'm implementing it.  But feels a little bit counter intuitive.  I guess I'm probably set in my ways after my 43+ years in the computer industry.  I just keep needing to remind myself that "change is good!"

I will need to clear up all the old, now superfluous, files.  I don't like the idea of keeping multiple copies of files around to clutter up my drives.  There are multiple drives in my workstation already, and I take enough photos that my disk usage is always creeping up.

Is there a tutorial somewhere online that walks us through these file management issues?

Thanks again,

-Mike

• Igor changed the title to Moving image folders causes significant pain [SOLVED]
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mike

I have gone over this pain until I found a simple solution. Don't move any file from its original place because you might need the there for other things.

But create a folder with the project title /date and put ALL image files-audio files if you have icons etc and most importantly your project ".pte" file.

If all ingredients are in one place the .pte project file will always find all the items even if you change computer or send it to someone who uses PTE will always open as a project. I have been reworking old projects going back 10 plus years without any issues.

Laszlo

• Like 1