WnSoft Forums

Vger 2, a Tribute to Hubble...

In 1987 NASA launched Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 on missions to probe space first in our solar system then in deep space.

Voyager, as some may remember was the subject on a StarTrek episode. The ship was discovered traveling through space but microscopic space debris had worn off the "O" and "Y" leaving only V GER so it had been named "Vger"... LOL

This slideshow is another with slides largely borrowed from the NASA Hubble files. It runs a bit over 13 minutes and is about 35 meg in executable size so broadband suggested.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/vger2.zip

Best regards,

Lin

In 1987 NASA launched Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 on missions to probe space first in our solar system then in deep space.

Voyager, as some may remember was the subject on a StarTrek episode. The ship was discovered traveling through space but microscopic space debris had worn off the "O" and "Y" leaving only V GER so it had been named "Vger"... LOL

This slideshow is another with slides largely borrowed from the NASA Hubble files. It runs a bit over 13 minutes and is about 35 meg in executable size so broadband suggested.

Best regards,

Lin

Hy Lin Evens ,

I have a good broadband conection, but on 5kb/s it will take a very loog time to download

Is there no other way?

Luc M

Hi Lin

Just did download no problem, 234KB/sec consistent, so just over 2 mins. Not bad for a small island off the coast of England, the most easterly inhabited one in Britain.

Mike L Davies

Mersea Island

England

sorry about that all.

A masterly production and very much appreciated. I spotted The Plough (Ursa Major) halfway through.

On the mother island west of Mersea it also took 2 mins to download. No problem.

Ron [uK]

Lin,

Very beautiful show - now that's what I call "landscape photography"! :) No problem loading, by the way.

I liked the transitions and also the choice of music. Very interesting to watch, especially for us astronomy buffs.

The use of the star "sparkle" effect added some spice to the show, too, although most of the images were fantastic enough on their own.

It's amazing what's out there! And what we can see, even from space, is only such an infinitesimally small portion of it all that we can only wonder in awe at what else is waiting for us.

A masterly production and very much appreciated. I spotted The Plough (Ursa Major) halfway through.

On the mother island west of Mersea it also took 2 mins to download. No problem.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron,

NASA has furnished some spectacular photos - there's so much we can learn from these - what an amazing universe.......

Lin

Lin,

Very beautiful show - now that's what I call "landscape photography"! :) No problem loading, by the way.

I liked the transitions and also the choice of music. Very interesting to watch, especially for us astronomy buffs.

The use of the star "sparkle" effect added some spice to the show, too, although most of the images were fantastic enough on their own.

It's amazing what's out there! And what we can see, even from space, is only such an infinitesimally small portion of it all that we can only wonder in awe at what else is waiting for us.

Hey Al,

It's amazing indeed! It makes me wish that I were a child again just to have the years left to see the developments the future holds. The scope is so vast that the human mind simply can't apprehend the possibilities, but we can appreciate the mysteries and grandeur and NASA has provided so much to think about....

Best regards,

Lin

You are right Lin. But it might be easier if we just work to comprehend before we worry to

apprehend.

Thanks for the stimulating work you share.

So true, but this is probably beyond either - LOL

Lin

So true, but this is probably beyond either - LOL

Lin

No doubt about it. It is far easier to joke about it than to even appreciate it.

I must say though, I think your presentation is nothing short of masterful! The gorgeous images are absolutely presented to perfection. I think your "gentle" choreography is a pefect understatement of the power inherent in every image. I liked your variety of movement, reversals and all. Music superb - I was trying to imagine how one could construct a climax in a sequence like this.

I would really be interested in the reaction of more viewers - especially those who have honestly suggested that movement can be overdone and should be used only when it truly enhances the presentation. Realizing that art is still subject to oppinion, I would wonder if there are any viewers who feel this is "over the top" for their taste.

I think this kind of presentation would be worthy of showing as a pre-feature at a major film theater. It would do the audience a lot of good if they could pay attention to something that thoughtful but with no punchline.

Thanks again.

Lin, what a beautiful show ! It's hypnotic ! I really love it.

Music is just perfect and really match what we see.

Perfect use of PZR, sometimes slow and sometimes fast, depending on the music.

In my opinion, there is not to many PZR because there is an alternance with some still images.

Only one suggestion : would be interesting to add some comments to describe what we see...

But again, really really excellent work.

PS : transfert rate : about 100Ko/s from France.

Lin, could you please tell us what music did you use ? Thanks.

Lin, what a beautiful show ! It's hypnotic ! I really love it.

Music is just perfect and really match what we see.

Perfect use of PZR, sometimes slow and sometimes fast, depending on the music.

In my opinion, there is not to many PZR because there is an alternance with some still images.

Only one suggestion : would be interesting to add some comments to describe what we see...

But again, really really excellent work.

PS : transfert rate : about 100Ko/s from France.

Lin, could you please tell us what music did you use ? Thanks.

Hi Dom,

The music was all from freeplaymusic.com: (correction here) - not freeplay.com rather freeplaymusic.com

1. Saturn Winds: Todd Habermann Vol 2

2. The Wall: World Mix Vol 15

3. Red Sky: World Mix Vol 3

4. Under: World Mix Vol 3

5. From the Heavens: Drama Vol 6

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, from Europe Holland download file is fine now! :rolleyes:

as a Startrack fan I like this sequence very much nice work but some of the soundtracks for me are not my style but that is personal choice ;) Thanks for ever. B)

Lin,

I just downloaded Vger 2 which only took about 4 minutes to download.

The show was fantastic. I was not aware that the Hubble photos were available anywhere. I liked the varying music themes throughout the show. The script at the first of the show went a little to fast for my reading. I felt rushed. It may have been the type of font you chose, or maybe/probably my eyesight.

Thanks for a great show.

Howard

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

I have viewed your very own personal trip to the stars and what a journey it was, out of this world. The way the images were delt with was just right. Pans ,zooms and fades have been executed with great thought and perfect timing. I know the images have been taken from another source but this lifts the images to a higher visual level and brings an element of wonder & marvel to our universe. I have seen some of these images before but it's not until they have been treated in this way that the true impact of these images becomes apparent. I hope to view your show on our Camera club video projector soon ( if thats ok with you) Regarding space I have a show on Beechbrook that I put on about 4weeks ago called Planet Creation. This was done in pte 4.48 lasts about 2 mins and not so effective without the pans and zooms. I created all the images with the aibrush tool, layers and blend options in Photoshop and only used two photos in total. Oh by the way Lin, thanks for the tips on the best way to achieve better transitions. I have tried it and seems to be the answer to my problems. Regards Paul

Hi Lin

I have viewed your very own personal trip to the stars and what a journey it was, out of this world. The way the images were delt with was just right. Pans ,zooms and fades have been executed with great thought and perfect timing. I know the images have been taken from another source but this lifts the images to a higher visual level and brings an element of wonder & marvel to our universe. I have seen some of these images before but it's not until they have been treated in this way that the true impact of these images becomes apparent. I hope to view your show on our Camera club video projector soon ( if thats ok with you) Regarding space I have a show on Beechbrook that I put on about 4weeks ago called Planet Creation. This was done in pte 4.48 lasts about 2 mins and not so effective without the pans and zooms. I created all the images with the aibrush tool, layers and blend options in Photoshop and only used two photos in total. Oh by the way Lin, thanks for the tips on the best way to achieve better transitions. I have tried it and seems to be the answer to my problems. Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Hubble has certainly opened a glimpse to another world hasn't it? Sure, you're more than welcome to use the slideshow any way you wish. I'll check out your Planet Creation show on Beechbrook and I'm glad that the suggestions might help with the transition issues - it takes lots of experimentation to achieve the effects we want, but it's all part of the learning process with these great new tools!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I know this has been discussed many times on the forum, but am still confused. I looked at the sight freeplay.com for the music used in "Vger". It did not appear that they had any copyright free music on the sight. It looks as if you were using music from an album created by them. If an individual owns the album, is it permissable, legally, to use the music for a slide show that is diseminated to others? Thanks again for a great show illustrating PTE beta 5.

Howard

Lin,

I know this has been discussed many times on the forum, but am still confused. I looked at the sight freeplay.com for the music used in "Vger". It did not appear that they had any copyright free music on the sight. It looks as if you were using music from an album created by them. If an individual owns the album, is it permissable, legally, to use the music for a slide show that is diseminated to others? Thanks again for a great show illustrating PTE beta 5.

Howard

Hi Howard,

I don't believe that one could "own" an album created by FreePlay Music so the answer would be no, but you can certainly purchase rights for use and if your use fulfills the requirements as set forth by their terms as stipulated in "Terms for Use" then the use is either free or requires a fee depending on the circumstances.

..............3. Personal Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating or associated) Personal use does not include any broadcast use - web, blog, podcast or other

4. Educational, Non-Commercial use (limited to student use on school grounds for in classroom projects- non broadcast)

Then Freeplay Music's compositions and recordings may be used without a fee. ..............

I believe their intent in the above description is to prevent commercial use in the broadcast sense (web broadcast, blog broadcast, podcast, etc.) so they don't want their music used in any commercial sense without a fee being paid. Giving a CD or DVD to a few friends is not a commercial use of their product. Putting their music on a website where it plays when one clicks a link as an aid in promoting a website would be a commercial use. Selling a CD or DVD which contained their music, such as a wedding photographer might do for a client would be a commercial use. They are quite specific in their wording concerning the terms "Broadcast" and "Non-Commercial". That's my interpretation but if you have any questions about how you would use the music it would be best to contact them and ask.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Howard

Hi Howard,

It just occurred to me that you may have been at the wrong site. In my original post I said the music was from freeplay.com - in fact it was from "freeplaymusic.com" which has been discussed on the forum several times. I misquoted the link from memory - sorry.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin, Yes I was at the wrong site. Freepay.com. They did have a new CD available. I have now looked at the new site, freeplaymusic.com and see their copyright and use conditions. Thanks,

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly ten days since the last reply, but having just downloaded and viewed this sequence and read all the comments, felt I had to say how much I appreciated it. LumenLux on July 1st asked for viewers who doubted the use of PZR to comment and I am one of those who do not like too much of it without purpose, but here it is done to perfection. I could imagine how much poorer it would be with simply still images dissolving into each other. The music I would not normally like all that much, but it is entirely suitable to the subject matter in this case and I quite enjoyed it! The text at the beginning and the end I did find rather difficult to read due to the font used and the amount to read in the time. I certainly do appreciate that it may be shown on a none commercial basis, and is a valuable demonstration of PTE Beta #5. I intend to use it in September at an AV Group meeting. Thanks again. John