WnSoft Forums

Free Tool for Image Extraction for your Transparent PNGs

mhwarner

I know many of your are extracting parts of images to use in transparent .PNG files in P2E v 5. I just ran across this free tool (Photoshop plugin) today and thought some of you might be interested in trying it. There is a downloadable tutorial (.mov file) as well. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I did look at the tutorial and it seems like it might be easier than traditional methods on some images. I did look at a similar (not free) product a while back (the name escapes me), but it was about $60 US, so I passed on it.

http://graphics.cs.msu.su/en/research/Segment/index.html

I know many of your are extracting parts of images to use in transparent .PNG files in P2E v 5. I just ran across this free tool (Photoshop plugin) today and thought some of you might be interested in trying it. There is a downloadable tutorial (.mov file) as well. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I did look at the tutorial and it seems like it might be easier than traditional methods on some images. I did look at a similar (not free) product a while back (the name escapes me), but it was about $60 US, so I passed on it.

http://graphics.cs.msu.su/en/research/Segment/index.html

Downloaded this program today. It contains two separate methods for selection/extraction and is very good. Will enable quite difficult selections and extracts to be made very easily. I highly recommend this as a Photoshop plugin well worth having.

Jeff

Excellent!

At the end of the process, if you choose the option "Refine borders", the result is almost perfect.

A great tool.

And it only takes 20 sec maximum to make a very complex extracion!!

Thank you very much for sharing! :)

Here are some samples from Graphics and Media Lab, the editor of this tool, to give you the taste to try too :

cat_src.gifcat_seed.gifcat_res.gif

osel_src.gifosel_seed.gifosel_res.gif

katya_seeds.gifkatya_res.gif

girl_src.gifgirl_res.gif

Hi all,

after reading the above I thought what a good tool. But I have been trying all morning to download it from the site but does not work, it takes forever then cancells.

Can any one tell me if there is something else to do?

Mike

Mersea Island, England

I tried it but it seemed buggy. I could not get the black background mask to show the extracted image inside the selected area. Would be good if it worked reliably.

It sounds very much like you are using "Filter" rather than "Select" to open the masked image in Photoshop.

Try this:

Open an image in Photoshop then choose GML Growcut from the "select" rather than the "filter" menu (it will appear in both places). Next draw a rectangle around the object to be extracted. Choose Next. Hold down the left mouse button and make a few red marks inside the boundaries around the object to be extracted. Hold down the right mouse button and make a few blue marks outside the boundaries. Then click on refine boundaries followed by choosing about a 5 pixel smooth and a 19 pixel brush size to smooth any rough edges then click on "finish" and then Edit, Copy. Now your selection is on the clipboard.

Next open a transparent PNG and do Edit Paste. You should have a great extraction and paste....

Lin

OK, it "sort of" worked, but the edges are very hard - where is the feathering capability? The soft brush doesn't work either. I think I'll stick with the tried and true Photoshop selection techniques with better control and feathered edges. And it's about the same time to make the selection.

Andreas, I had the same results in Photoshop CS2. A black and white image after clicking on finish. I have a busy schedule right now and couldn't give any more time to the attempt, but I'm sure it's just lack of knowledge and that with a few more minutes to spare, we'll find the right way to get the results.

larry

Hi Larry,

That's the result of clicking on "filter" and using the plugin from that rather than from "select". Try using the plugin from the "select" menu instead of from the "filter" menu.

Best regards,

Lin

Perhaps I found a solution or a work arround for PhotoImpact.

1. Hold basis-picture (dont know, which is the correct translation)

2. Select all

2. Extracting Objekt with GrowCut Mask

3. Clicking finish > there will be a black and white picture

4. magic selection on white part of the picture

5. delete selection

6. now you have the objekt and can copy it in the clipboard.

See result.

Best regards

Andreas

post-159-1162572262_thumb.jpg

post-159-1162579988_thumb.jpg

OK, it "sort of" worked, but the edges are very hard - where is the feathering capability? The soft brush doesn't work either. I think I'll stick with the tried and true Photoshop selection techniques with better control and feathered edges. And it's about the same time to make the selection.

Maybe I need to make a tutorial to explain how to feather the edges - you do it with the border smoothing pixel size chosen for the edges. After making the extraction it's also very easy to touch up quickly with Photoshop.

It's obviously not as sophisticated as some of the Photoshop or top-end mask tools, but I would have to disagree about the "speed". It's actually very, very fast once you understand how to use it. Remember, it works with tools which othewise don't have the facility to do this type thing such as Irfanview, etc., so being in development and being "free" is not a bad thing, It probably will get better, but is quite inventive in the methodology they use.

If there is enough interest I would be willing to make an audio-visual tutorial to add to the very brief visual only provided by the developers.

Best regards,

Lin

Any chance of putting on Thedom Sharing Place or getting it direct from you Ken?

The file is now avalaible on my site. :)

GraphicMediaLab-GrowCut-Small.jpg

[click on the image above to directly access the download page

I send a message to the authors to ask permission to host it permanently.

OK, it "sort of" worked, but the edges are very hard - where is the feathering capability?

At the end of the process, do not forget to choose the option "Refine borders", the result will be almost perfect !

And it's about the same time to make the selection.

30 seconds maximum to make a very complex extraction. ;)

I tried GrownCut Mask with PhotoImpact 10.

In the help-file I found this Information:

GML GrowCut Mask and GML GrowCut Mask Extract works under Adobe® Photoshop® program family, as well as under every program, which supports Adobe Photoshop filter plugins (Paint Shop Pro, IrfanView, etc.).

It seems, that it does not work with PhotoImpact10.

Extracting of objekts worth well within the program, but if I klick finish, I get only a black and white picture (see test.jpg).

Any ideas?

Best regard

Andreas

post-159-1162598519_thumb.jpg

Attachments show the status before and after cklicking finish in Paintshop Pro 11.

Same result in PhotoImpact 10.

It's a pity that i haven't PhotoShop.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas, I had the same results in Photoshop CS2. A black and white image after clicking on finish. I have a busy schedule right now and couldn't give any more time to the attempt, but I'm sure it's just lack of knowledge and that with a few more minutes to spare, we'll find the right way to get the results.

larry

• 2 months later...

I also had problems downloading from the above link.

Found this one at "Graphics & Media Lab" to work well:

http://research.graphicon.ru/component/opt...nc,select/id,1/

Downloaded this program today. It contains two separate methods for selection/extraction and is very good. Will enable quite difficult selections and extracts to be made very easily. I highly recommend this as a Photoshop plugin well worth having.

Jeff

I have been trying to download this plugin for hours without any success Is there anywhere else I can download it from.

Thank you Royo