WnSoft Forums

Technical Support for PicturesToExe 5.1 Deluxe

Help! I am extremely frustrated with the SLOW....and I mean SLOW (3 days)....response from Technical Support. I have been using version 4.8 of PicturesToExe for several years and have had NO problems. In early January I updated to the 5.1 Deluxe version and just recently attempted to create a slide show. After the third or fourth slide, the program drops all transition effects and then by the fifth slide it FREEZES. When I press esc. my screen goes black and my computer sounds as if it's trying to shut down. This occurs several time before returning to the project screen.

Using the exact same pictures, I created a short slideshow using Version 4.8. It plays perfectly. When I open this project using Version 5.1 Deluxe, the problems of dropping transitions and freezing occur. Clearly I have a defective download! I can't wait DAYS for a response from technical support!!

At this point, I want my money back!! Has anyone else had a similar experience???

Could it be that you have identified your problem but not realised it? You say "Clearly I have a defective download!"

Have you tried downloading a fresh copy, uninstalling the current one and installing the new download?

Sometimes a downloaded file does pick up one or two "garbles". If you haven't tried this yet, why not give it a go? You've nothing to lose other than some of your time (and possibly your phone bill if you're on a dial-up connection.

Help! I am extremely frustrated with the SLOW....and I mean SLOW (3 days)....response from Technical Support. I have been using version 4.8 of PicturesToExe for several years and have had NO problems. In early January I updated to the 5.1 Deluxe version and just recently attempted to create a slide show. After the third or fourth slide, the program drops all transition effects and then by the fifth slide it FREEZES. When I press esc. my screen goes black and my computer sounds as if it's trying to shut down. This occurs several time before returning to the project screen.

Using the exact same pictures, I created a short slideshow using Version 4.8. It plays perfectly. When I open this project using Version 5.1 Deluxe, the problems of dropping transitions and freezing occur. Clearly I have a defective download! I can't wait DAYS for a response from technical support!!

At this point, I want my money back!! Has anyone else had a similar experience???

Sadly you are not alone regarding resonse times. I have had a problem since before Christmas with usually a weeks wait for replies to questions raised. I am eventually told today it is because my burner is not supportd. This despite successful burns of DVD's and SVCD's before problem arose - See Burning Problems posted in Dec. I have reloaded 5.1, flashed the software but still either produce coaster or DVD which hangs for about 1 minute after opening screen. The advice is to create ISO's using different software which to say the least is most disappointing.

Freddy.

scj,

What version of Windows you use and what video card installed in your PC?

Slideshow may skip slides and transition effects if you used very large images and close interval between them.

If pressing of Esc button doesn't help and you can't exit slideshow, there is a problem in drivers. Please update drivers for your video card.

My experience shows that such rare problems with EXE files created in versions 5.x happen because of incorrect work of drivers of video cards. And updating of these drivers solves the problem. I consider we did well our part of work, but we depend on quality of drivers.

p.s. I'm sorry for slow response, our technical support will work during weekends soon.

scj,

What version of Windows you use and what video card installed in your PC?

Slideshow may skip slides and transition effects if you used very large images and close interval between them.

If pressing of Esc button doesn't help and you can't exit slideshow, there is a problem in drivers. Please update drivers for your video card.

My experience shows that such rare problems with EXE files created in versions 5.x happen because of incorrect work of drivers of video cards. And updating of these drivers solves the problem. I consider we did well our part of work, but we depend on quality of drivers.

p.s. I'm sorry for slow response, our technical support will work during weekends soon.

Thank you Ken. I did reboot my computer after the initial installation. I just tried Peter's suggestion re: deleting the program and reinstalling....the problem is still there.

I am using Windows XP. As for what kind of video card I have, I really don't know. The program does exit when I press Esc; however, the screen goes black and my computer makes a noise before returning to the normal screen. This doesn't happen in version 4.8.

My computer is an Acer-Intel D346 if that helps. I really can't afford to purchase a new driver or video card! Since I can't use the program, I'd appreciate a refund ($20). Thank you.

Oh, I did increase the intervals between slides and the problems don't go away!

Acer Power F6 Cel-d 346 / 512mb 80gb Dvd/cd-rw Wxp-pro

This is the information that I got while doing a search on the internet for your model. Looks like a tiny hard drive and not much memory at all. WINDOWS XP Pro crawls with only 512 mb of ram. If you didn't upgrade the ram, or get a larger hard drive, you are stretching the limits of the machine. Since you don't know the video, then are you using the on board video from the machine? More ram usage!

Do you have a video card, installed in the back of the system?

It's not P2E that causing the problem, it is your machine! You mentioned a noise" when you close P2E? P2E doesn't make noises when it shuts down.

There's more here than meets the eye, that you are not telling us.

scj

It appears to me its a video card or driver issue.

Is your show using any pzr effects ?

Using D3D graphic acceleration ?

As a test ... turn off Hardware Acceleration D3D checkbox in Project Options | Screen tab.

Try your show again. If your issues clear up ... your video card is either too slow or new update drivers.

Hello,

let me add a remark on complaints like "Slow response from Technical Support". When reading this I instantly remembered a song by Melanie Safka from the early 70ies: "They're only puttin' in a nickel, and they want a dollar song". People who need support on 24 hours a day and on 7 days a week may better look for software in a much higher price range!

Kind regards

xahu34

Munich

ACER POWER 346D Computer

This 'Budget PC' is an entry level machine with good basic facilities primarily designed

for 'general purpose usage' BUT NOT designed for Hi-end Graphics such as Pte.5xxx

but would give adequate performance with Pte 4.48 and Pte 4.49.

PC Basic System: 3.Gb processor. 80mB Sata Hard Drive. 512mB Memory (Expandable to:2Gb)

Data Bus Speeds: From 300mB ~ +450 mB/sec. depending on Program.

Resident Graphic Card: SiS.661FX (As in basic Win2000 Systems not suitable for Pte.5xx).

Graphic Expansion Slot: For Higher Graphics the Manufacturers recommend: PC Express 16 Card.

(This written recommendation is in their PC Specification Sheet)

Both 'Acer Computers' and 'WnSoft.Inc' go to extrodinary lenghts to describe their Products in exact

detail to any prospective purchaser who wishes to acquire all the necessary data about their products.

Even to the extent of 'offering' a Free Advisory Service as to the suitability of their products running

different Software Programs on different Computers and visa-versa.

Prior to the Introduction of PTE.5XX a major survey was conducted on this Forum by the WnSoft Team

with ALL Members as to the compatibility of Members PC's and the requirements for the PTE.5XX Program.

This data is freely available to Members as is the FREE ADVISORY SERVICE for those wishing to use PTE.5XX.

I'm afraid in this instance it is the (current-setup) of the Acer Computer which is the problem NOT PTE.5XX

and to be fair to 'ACER' ~ they do recommend a more advanced Video-Card for use with Hi-end graphics and

the memory would need to be upgraded to 1.Gb capacity.

Brian.Conflow.

Hello,

let me add a remark on complaints like "Slow response from Technical Support". When reading this I instantly remembered a song by Melanie Safka from the early 70ies: "They're only puttin' in a nickel, and they want a dollar song". People who need support on 24 hours a day and on 7 days a week may better look for software in a much higher price range!

Kind regards

xahu34

Munich

Well said!!

Colin

SCJ, I believe that that you waited a long time to get technical assistance. Still I'd like to offer this reassurance, waiting a long time is by far the exception. My experience has been entirely different. I have never had to wait more than a few hours to have a question answered completely and to my satisfaction. I think you will find the same here. Maybe you experienced an anomaly, but the team of people here are like no other place I have ever seen. Be patient and you will be well rewarded--that is what I have to offer you :)

jk

Just my two cents worth. I have had several problems using PTE. All were my fault or my computers. All were answered very quickly. And very nicely. No talking down too or putting the blame where it belonged! Me! It would be extremely hard to find a person who cares more for his customers needs and wants then Igor!! Long waits have not been the norm for me.

Bob W.

Just for your own information for the future - video drivers are free from the manufacturer, they don't cost anything. You can find out all about your system by clicking from the Desktop on "Start" then "Run" then type in the word "dxdiag" then click on O.K.

Your computer will run a diagnostic and return a screen with multiple tabs which you can click on to find out exactly how your system is configured. If you click on the tab marked "Display" it will tell you the name of your video card chip set manufacturer, the amount of RAM and other important information needed to tell you whether your system is up to running animated video.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you Ken. I did reboot my computer after the initial installation. I just tried Peter's suggestion re: deleting the program and reinstalling....the problem is still there.

I am using Windows XP. As for what kind of video card I have, I really don't know. The program does exit when I press Esc; however, the screen goes black and my computer makes a noise before returning to the normal screen. This doesn't happen in version 4.8.

My computer is an Acer-Intel D346 if that helps. I really can't afford to purchase a new driver or video card! Since I can't use the program, I'd appreciate a refund ($20). Thank you.

Oh, I did increase the intervals between slides and the problems don't go away!

Lin and Luc M,

In my Post above I advised "SCJ" about the installed Video Card in his PC ,its a: "Silicon-Intergrated-Systems 661.FX" (SiS661.FX)

Its a 'Chip-set Video System' resident on the PC Motherboard ~ its just a good plain ordinary Video/Monitor System ~ no frills at all.

A spare Card-Slot is provided on the ACER designed to accept a 'Hi-Res Video Card' as recommended by the Manufacturer.

Brian.Conflow.

Oh my! I've clearly leaped in way over my head and feel as if I'm drowning!

Thank you to everyone who had responded to my plea for help. I just wish Technical Support responded as rapidly and as clearly. This is definitely a learning experience. Obviously, you folks are highly computer literate, whereas I am not, and for the record, I'm a SHE, not a HE, and I fall in the category "Senior Citizen"!

I have returned to wnsofts' home page to reread the info about PicturesToExe Deluxe. The main page and its "read more" icon DO NOT specify system requriements. They merely state that the program is compatible with Windows XP, etc. I must confess that I did not review the "Frequently Asked Questions" at the time of purchasing the 5.1 upgrade. I was simply too eager to upgrade my 4.8 version. Clearly this was a mistake as this is where the Video Card info is given. Mr. Conflow, you mention a "PC Specification Sheet". Where exactly is this hidden??? I can't locate it!!

Lin, thanks for guiding me in discovering how to locate system info (start...run, etc.). Also, I viewed some of your slideshows. WOW!!!

It seems my problem is clearly an inadequate Video card; however, please note I did not do any "animations" or "pan/zoom" effects in the slideshow I attempted. The wnsoft info for slide shows created with "simple effects" states that "ANY VIDEO CARD" can be used!!

Bottom line....I think the Wnsoft advertising should include detalied system requirements within the FIRST PARAGRAPH, so that computer dummies, like I, don't make an apparently non-refundable purchase for software their computer can't support!

Hi Brian - there's a saying:

Give a girl a fish and you have fed her for today - teach a girl to fish and you have fed her for a life-time. O.K. - I took a few liberties with the saying - LOL.

Actually, I believe we need to make people aware that they can generally always find out a great deal about their own system by using the "dxdiag" diagnostic. Knowing this can help them provide technical information to decide whether they need to consider an upgrade on their various components to make PTE work better or whether the problems lie elsewhere.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin and Luc M,

In my Post above I advised "SCJ" about the installed Video Card in his PC ,its a: "Silicon-Intergrated-Systems 661.FX" (SiS661.FX)

Its a 'Chip-set Video System' resident on the PC Motherboard ~ its just a good plain ordinary Video/Monitor System ~ no frills at all.

A spare Card-Slot is provided on the ACER designed to accept a 'Hi-Res Video Card' as recommended by the Manufacturer.

Brian.Conflow.

PicturesToExe detects capabilities of video card and decide can it provide hardware acceleration or not.

But regrettably some low-level video cards (SiS, Intel) report that it can work in Direct 3D mode and support all features, but work absolutely incorrectly. How Microsoft approved these drivers - it's another question.

Hi SCJ (please give us a first name so we can be less formal),

Actually, many of us here are "senior citizens" and we love to help each other with understanding the new technical devices and such which seem to come much easier to the "kids".

The fact that you could see some of my shows tends to make me think that even though you may definitely need a stronger video environment to help you make PTE shows, that there is something perhaps which you are inadvertently doing in creating your shows which is causing the major part of the problem.

Could you tell us how you took the images which you are using for your slideshow? Did you use a digital camera and if so, what brand and "resolution" in megapixels? Did you do anything to the images such as resize them before putting them in your show?

The reason for the questions is that sometimes we use oriinal full resolution images and if the video card is less than optimal it could be that the size in pixel dimensions of the images might affect the performance. This is generally not an issue for the older 4.4x versions of PTE but "can" be an issue for PTE 5.x depending on individual circumstances. To test this, I have about a dozen images which I have posted on a website link for you. If you will download each into a folder then open PTE 5 and try a simple slideshow with them and tell us if it works normally, then perhaps we can better diagnose the problem.

Just click on the link below. When the page opens, click on the first thumbnail at left top then when the 1024x768 image opens right click on it and download to a folder on your computer. Use the right arrow to go from 1024 pixel to next 1024 pixel image until you have downloaded each of the 12 into a folder. Next open PTE 5.1 and create a simple slideshow using all defaults. Let us know if this one runs normally. If it does, then we can safely assume that the size of your images is causing the issue.

http://www.lin-evans.net/testimages/index.htm

Best regards,

Lin

Igor,

I'm sure you and the WnS-team are doing a very good job! Period.

But, maybe scj is right in saying that some technical info "for dummies" like her can be more visible at the first glance; for us, using computers for a long time, things sometimes are too obviously.

For instance, you wrote "Slideshow may skip slides and transition effects if you used very large images and close interval between them.", but how can she know the meaning of 'very large'? What exactly is very large?

I think even for us the meaning of very large is not always the same.

For the rest I like to say that all the advice, and especially in this case the clear and professional answers of Brian Conflow, are really priceless and that said, much better than a 'refund'!

Henri. :rolleyes:

SJC,

Here's a little more help for you concerning your PC (see below)

Lin,

I absolutely agree with you ~ and of course the (enhanced) 4.48 Engine is available

within the PTE.5xxx Program. SJC may not be aware of this, and she probably needs

a little help to get going with the enhanced 4.48 Utility.

Igor,

How right you are about Manufacturers claims in general ! ~ but with ACER they

do provide an excellent Customer Support Utility but very few know about it and

thats due to the reticence of the Distributor/Retailer providing that information

to the Customer.

SJC, below is some support data and contact for your Computer Support:-

I'm afraid thats all I can supply as your problem is PC related when using (full) PTE.5xx.

Just click on each 'Thumbnail' below.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1201725245_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1201725260_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1201726539_thumb.jpg

You guys are amazing!!

Lin, I downloaded your wonderful pictures and created a SMOOTH running slideshow; however, the only clear image in the show was the first one (black/white crow??)......the others were grainy!

I think you've probably nailed my problem.....my images are too large!!

Most of my slideshow images are pictures taken with an 8-megapixil Canon PowerShot S5 IS. I've made "adjustments" to some of the pictures using PhotoShop so the average size is 1.73 KB. I haven't changed the original dimensions.

Having to resize all my pictures would be a real pain! And....I really don't want to make them so small that the slide show would be "grainy"!! Any suggestions???

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh....my name is Sherrill.