WnSoft Forums

New Slide Show

dpeterso

Hello All -

I've posted a new slide show and I'd like to hear your comments. I've tried a few new (for me) techniques that support a travelogue styled show. It's only about 5 minutes long, so you should be able to view it easily. I took the pictures in 2004 and had no idea about using them in a slideshow. I certainly wish I had more shots of the trip.

I hope you'll watch it and let me know your thoughts. That's how we learn. You can find it here:

http://www.epetersons.com/slideshows/Sandh...%20Nebraska.zip

Regards,

Dave

I've posted a new slide show and I'd like to hear your comments.

Hello Dave

I find ADB's (alias Andrew) grading shows listing very practical so I will use it here.

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS

Considering the subject, I find the photos quality good and there are some interesting or unusual point of views.

SOUNDTRACK

I find it much to sad

TIMING

There is enough time left to read dash-boards but I find the sequence rythm too slow and too steady.

PTE MASTERY

No particular comment apart :

- Image "Mill Camp Log Cabin" has no white frame line.

- Time used for introducing slides a bit too long

- last slide, "The route", is probabaly more interesting at the beginning of the slideshow

WATCHABILITY

Would watch again

OVERALL COMMENT

Good images and an interesting sequence to keep sign and depict a journey.

I just find that a more rythmic music would enhance this pleasant travelogue.

Thank you for sharing

Patrick

Hi Dave,

Having asked why so few people bother to comment I almost feel obliged to do so myself!

Sandhills of Nebraska prompted one or two questions as well as one or two observations.

The first question is; what is the purpose of this show and why have you posted it? This may seem a rather rude question but I really do NOT mean it in that way. The answers to these questions seem to me to make a lot of difference to the type of comments that viewers might make.

I am a keen walker and while walking I take lots of photographs. Many of them are technically fairly mediocre but I keep them as memories of the places I have been and the pubs where we've had good lunches. I have made one or two PTE sequences from them but have only ever shown them to the four friends I walk with and their wives. I had a view that these images would not have much interest to a wider audience. I take a lot more care with other images when I am more concerned with the image quality.

I watched your show several times and thought it had some very nice touches. I liked the opening sequence with the sandy background to match the Sandhills. Unlike Patrick I also liked the soundtrack; a very apt title and it was an excellent movie. Allowing sufficient time for the viewer to read the signs brought a different dimension to the images and your own captions helped to give a feel for the locations and scenes. The map was also a nice touch. It might have been better at the start but I'm not sure.

I thought it was a shame that the opening shot of the motor bike was rather blurred and a really sharp picture would have provided a better intro. This was followed by two other images with washed out skies. I would have been very tempted to swap these skies for something a bit more interesting. (Ron West recently posted a tutorial on this if you happen to need one!)

I guess the time it took me to put this comment together is one reason why there are not too many comments but I hope it helps in some small way. In all honesty it was probably only about 20 minutes. Thinking about the good points in other peoples' presentations and looking for possible areas for improvement is actually a good learning exercise in itself so this is not a one way benefit.

Kind regards

Peter

Dave,

I've enjoyed watching this sequence. Your choice of music was, in my opinion, very appropriate.

The previous posters must be speed readers. I found that I didn't have enough time to read what was on the information boards and take in the image content of the background. Whenever I use images with information on them I set the duration of the image by timing hw long it takes to read the words out aloud twice over.

I thought that your use of your motorbike as a foreground item helped to give the sense of scale that can sometimes be lacking in the "big picture" landscape image. And it was a nice human touch to include some images of yourself at your camp site.

I also offer this thought for you to ponder on: if your camera's self timer runs long enough, could you then take a photo of yourself actually riding the bike? I'm thinking along the lines of three-quarter front approach shot and three-quarter rear "ride off into the sunset". Obviously, you would have to assess the security risk to your camera and tripod whilst it was unattended for a minute or so.

Hi Dave, I just watched your nice slide show of Nebraska.

You ask for comments so here goes...

So you know "where I'm coming from" I also have a motorcycle.

While we haven't taken any over night road trips we have taken

the motorcycle on several trips in the back of our truck.

We tow a camper and haul our motorcycle.

IE- we have a common bond in the 2 wheeler.

My first impression was also that the music was a tad low key

but as the show progressed, it kind of grew on me. I guess the

music changed my mood to more mellow and then it worked.

At first I found reading the entire historic signs a bit tedious but

I have done the exact same thing. If you are taking pictures

to document a trip and making a slide show for a keepsake memory,

then you should leave time to read the sineage!

All in all, I liked it. Of course I liked the scenery and I always like

to see at least a few shots of the participants. If you are going

to take us on your trip, then we want to see who we're going

with and "where we stayed" while traveling.

I especially liked the map of your route at the end.

Will you tell me how you created that slide???

Is it from mapping software you have purchased or did you

use some type of online mapping website?

I'd really like to learn how to include maps in some of my vacation

slide shows.

Can maps be included without requiring me to purchase more

software??

Thanks for sharing a nice vacaton and for your tips on map making.

Peace!

Dan D.

Louisville Kentucky, good ole USA

http://ky-dan.com

I think this sequence has quite a lot going for it, particularly if you like history and the snippits of information added to the sequence.

I think the information needs to remain on screen long enough for viewers to read it, but then the images and the show would grind to a stop.

Using different images and transparent text you could have 3-4 background shots changing while we read the informtion or better still add the info as a commentary.

I agree that some that the images need a little more impact and when you start your show with an image, it has to be a good one. That first image isn't sharp and you know what they say about first impressions?

I thought the music worked well, but there are probably better alternatives out there. Again it depends on whether this was aimed for those interested in the Bike trip or American history.

The sequence for me was not the bike trip at all, but the history, which really comes back to the question someone alse asked. Who was this made for and for what purpose. It seems to try and sit between the two and concentrating more on the history of the soldiers and Indians was more appealing to me.

However, that could be because I am in the UK and this type of history is all new to me. Those who live in the USA, may not be so interested in the history angle.

Hello Dave

I find ADB's (alias Andrew) grading shows listing very practical so I will use it here.

PHOTOGRAPHY/GRAPHICS

Considering the subject, I find the photos quality good and there are some interesting or unusual point of views.

SOUNDTRACK

I find it much to sad

TIMING

There is enough time left to read dash-boards but I find the sequence rythm too slow and too steady.

PTE MASTERY

No particular comment apart :

- Image "Mill Camp Log Cabin" has no white frame line.

- Time used for introducing slides a bit too long

- last slide, "The route", is probabaly more interesting at the beginning of the slideshow

WATCHABILITY

Would watch again

OVERALL COMMENT

Good images and an interesting sequence to keep sign and depict a journey.

I just find that a more rythmic music would enhance this pleasant travelogue.

Thank you for sharing

Patrick

Thank you for your comments Patrick. I always find your impressions helpful.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The first question is; what is the purpose of this show and why have you posted it? This may seem a rather rude question but I really do NOT mean it in that way.

I posted the show to get feedback on a few new things I tried in the spirit of making sort of a travelogue. In order to make a great show, I would have needed many more pictures. As I said in an earlier post, this show was an after-thought. Had I known back in 2004 that I was going to make a slideshow, then I would have taken many more pictures, and spent more time getting good pictures. Plus, I would have determined ahead of time what the show was going to be about and who the audience was going to be. So it suffers from limited photos and as Barry pointed out, a mixed message. Is it a story about a motorcycle trip or an historical document? Or is it about the Sandhills of Nebraska? If so, there could be many more pictures to convey the spaciousness of that area.

I thought it was a shame that the opening shot of the motor bike was rather blurred

I think I've fixed that somewhat. The original was in sharp focus, but I rotated (to level) the horizon in Photoshop, then resized and saved at too low of a quality level (to keep the file size low). The rotation apparently caused some blur.

Kind regards

Peter

Thanks again for your comments Peter. Let me know if I've not adequately answered your question about why I posted the show. I'm concerned that I missed your point.

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

The previous posters must be speed readers. I found that I didn't have enough time to read what was on the information boards and take in the image content of the background. Whenever I use images with information on them I set the duration of the image by timing hw long it takes to read the words out aloud twice over.

Regarding reading the historical markers, I was in conflict. I'm not a speed reader either, but to allow sufficient time to read, I consumed too much of the music. I tried to slpit the difference, thinking that people would hit the spacebar to pause and read. It's not really a good solution.

I also offer this thought for you to ponder on: if your camera's self timer runs long enough, could you then take a photo of yourself actually riding the bike? I'm thinking along the lines of three-quarter front approach shot and three-quarter rear "ride off into the sunset". Obviously, you would have to assess the security risk to your camera and tripod whilst it was unattended for a minute or so.

I've considered this for future shows. At my age though, it's a little risky to get mounted and underway in 10 seconds. We might end up with a shot of me and the bike laying on the asphalt.

Thanks again Peter for your kind words and constructive suggestions.

Have a nice day,

Dave

Is it from mapping software you have purchased or did you

use some type of online mapping website?

Peace!

Dan D.

Louisville Kentucky, good ole USA

http://ky-dan.com

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments and encouragement. Regarding the map, it was made using Microsoft's "MapPoint". The difficult part was figuring out how to save the map created in MapPoint as a jpeg. But after some online help, I got it! I use MapPoint extensively in planning my motorcycle trips.

Thanks again Dan.

Dave

The sequence for me was not the bike trip at all, but the history, which really comes back to the question someone alse asked. Who was this made for and for what purpose. It seems to try and sit between the two and concentrating more on the history of the soldiers and Indians was more appealing to me.

angle.

Barry -

Excellent point about the intended message of the show, and for whom. I eleborated more on this in an earlier response to one of the posters.

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and above all, your participation.

All the best,

Dave

Dave

Thanks for posting this show, which I enjoyed immensely.

I particularly like the comments on some of the pictures, as it gave me a name association to some of the places you visited on your journey.

One or two of the images lacked a bit of impact, and although the pictures of the signs were a bit hard to read, I am glad you included them.

I found that the map at the end was a great summery and made your comments hang together quite nicely, and a good choice of music, is it a favourite track of yours?

This must have been an incredible journey for you, I hope you enjoyed it, a very interesting show, thanks

Dave

Thanks for posting this show, which I enjoyed immensely.

I particularly like the comments on some of the pictures, as it gave me a name association to some of the places you visited on your journey.

One or two of the images lacked a bit of impact, and although the pictures of the signs were a bit hard to read, I am glad you included them.

I found that the map at the end was a great summery and made your comments hang together quite nicely, and a good choice of music, is it a favourite track of yours?

This must have been an incredible journey for you, I hope you enjoyed it, a very interesting show, thanks

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I appreciate all of you.

Dave

Looks like I'm way behind the pack in watching this sequence. But because of that, I do have a suggestion - When we start a new topic of a show being posted, it might be good to include either the name of the show or some description in addition to just "New Slideshow". Then someone watching the show when it is not so current, can more likely see the opportunity to comment or enjoy the discussions of others.

I think for what you intended, this presentation does just fine. Key to that for me is the photographs are good. There are a couple that could stand by themselves as a wall mounted photo or full page in a book. Most are not for wall-hanging category, but do perfect for taking the viewer with you. As you probably know, many of my own posted shows are of the life-share variety. I always like to see what others do and enjoy in their lives, whether they are similar or very different from my own life.

Opinion time about the historic info on the signs. If I am personally on a trip I will read most signs. When it comes to reading them in a show like yours (or mine) I think I not very often would. I probably read the first of the first sign and decide whether my current mood would lead me to read the rest. If I don't find the interest to read a sign that stays on screen long enough to be read - I am very thankful for the ability to arrow-key to the next slide. I am a convert to Ken's thinking to leave that feature of PTE active. Even on my own shows where I think the flow is critical, I will usually leave some user control active. And on viewing the shows of others, I will usually watch it as designed and then re-watch to stop-and-go between points of special or lacking interest.

Most importantly - thanks for sharing.

It's been a while since you posted your show Dave but I needed to view your show several times over a few days before commenting for the following reasons.

I found the show quite stirring. Ennio Morricone is one of my favourite, (if not the all time favourite), move composers and "Once Upon a Time in the West" is perhaps his most beautiful work, I find it very moving. Combine this with the solo motorcycle trip you did, (these journeys can be very meditative, self enlightening and even spiritual), and the story of the past you told made quite an impact on me.

A definition of art I once read said that any work that caused an emotional reaction in the viewer could be considered a work of art.

The last few days I have been preparing my bike for a five day trip with two good friends and while working on it I was listing to some of Morricones music, coincidence?

Now to the show.

The use of the surrounding matte effect and the titles was excellent. Some of your images were very well done and you should be proud of them, I particularly liked the windmill, also the road over the rolling hills, however several images were soft, (keep an eye on the depth of field). Some others had overexposed sky's as stated by a previous poster.

Along with everyone else I too liked the map, well done. It may have been even better used through the show with the route progressively highlighted also it could be marked to show the location of the subjects. This would be helpful for those of us that know nothing of the area and where the photographs were taken.

There is a general rule in video presentations for text which I think Peter stated earlier:

the duration of the text image is timed by how long it takes to read the words out aloud twice.

This would make the time on screen of your signs very long. I think this is a perfect case where some voice-over would work, maybe start with the sign then fade in the voice-over and show a few other images of the subject and return to the sign at the end of the reading.

I would have loved to hear some bike sounds with the road shoots. By the way I couldn't identify the bike, what is it Dave?

Over the last few years I've followed your work and each AV improves on the last to a point now where you produce a very impressive show.

When we start a new topic of a show being posted, it might be good to include either the name of the show .

As you probably know, many of my own posted shows are of the life-share variety.

Opinion time about the historic info on the signs. If I am personally on a trip I will read most signs. When it comes to reading them in a show like yours (or mine) I think I not very often would. I probably read the first of the first sign and decide whether my current mood would lead me to read the rest. If I don't find the interest to read a sign that stays on screen long enough to be read - I am very thankful for the ability to arrow-key to the next slide.

Most importantly - thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the time and thought regarding my slideshow. An excellent idea about naming the new shows. I guess I was somewhat presumptuous. I liked what you called this type of show: "life-share variety". That's exactly what it was for me. I knew everyone was going to have trouble with the historical signs: I just didn't know what to do about it. Because PTE has fast-forwarding capabliities, I guess I could have pointed that feature out in the beginning. The problem is that it disrupts the continuity no matter which way you go. Maybe I should have made my own signs and captured just the essence of the original sign.

Anyway, happy that you watched the show and took the time to comment. It's always appreciated.

Have a good day,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I enjoyed your show and in particular some of the photographs with late afternoon light and/or gathering storm clouds. I thought the music, background and titles were appropriate. I especially liked the "undulating road" (or whatever you called it). Not sure what to suggest about the signs. I wasn't particularly interested in reading all of the long ones, but that's just me. My only suggestion would have been to work some of the pictures with the very washed out skies in Photoshop (or whatever) to attempt to pull in a bit more detail. Thanks for sharing.

I would have loved to hear some bike sounds with the road shoots. By the way I couldn't identify the bike, what is it Dave?

Over the last few years I've followed your work and each AV improves on the last to a point now where you produce a very impressive show.

Hello John -

Please accept my apologies for a belated response. I enjoyed reading your impressions. I not only picked up some ideas about the show, I also learned a little more about you. A biker, huh! As you know, it's a most unusual way to travel. You asked about my bike. It's a 1988 Kawasaki Concours. It's 20 years old this year and I've put 95,000 miles on it. Now that I'm retired, the odometer will be more active than in recent years. There are many roads to explore; many pictures to take.

Thanks again for your most interesting observations.

Ride safe,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I enjoyed your show and in particular some of the photographs with late afternoon light and/or gathering storm clouds. I thought the music, background and titles were appropriate. I especially liked the "undulating road" (or whatever you called it). Not sure what to suggest about the signs. I wasn't particularly interested in reading all of the long ones, but that's just me. My only suggestion would have been to work some of the pictures with the very washed out skies in Photoshop (or whatever) to attempt to pull in a bit more detail. Thanks for sharing.

Hello Mary,

Thanks for looking and commenting on the slideshow. Many of you have mentioned fixing the colorless skies in photoshop. I guess I'd better begin paying closer attention to the details, such as sky color.

Thanks again for your comments.

Dave

Hello All -

I've posted a new slide show and I'd like to hear your comments. I've tried a few new (for me) techniques that support a travelogue styled show. It's only about 5 minutes long, so you should be able to view it easily. I took the pictures in 2004 and had no idea about using them in a slideshow. I certainly wish I had more shots of the trip.

I hope you'll watch it and let me know your thoughts. That's how we learn. You can find it here:

Regards,

Dave

sky and cloud colour are not known values - - the camera optics will see things that the human eye does not

one time many years ago i was taking picts of the Grand Canyon -- when the slides and prints were printed i was dismayed at the haze that was apparent -- i never seen the haze when i took the picts -- then while there i bought a book of photographs - he had the same haze as i did :)

ken