WnSoft Forums

A little "Perspective" experiment

Lin Evans

Very well done Lin.

Most appealing to me is the section with snow falling on the pica, with everything coming closer toward me except the coins.

The motion that seems a little less "natural" is at the last with the angled frame showing depth, but the pan seems to move along the normal flat plane.

Hi Robert,

Just a little fun thing to experiment with perspective. You're right, the last one doesn't work as well so I changed it and ended with another coyote which actually fits the schema better I think considering the music - LOL.

Thanks for having a look and for the good feedback!

Hi Barry,

It’s a study in “perspective” designed to help the viewer apprehend the elements which allow us to create the “illusion” of depth where none actually exists. If you look carefully you will see a couple rather obvious things and some which are more subtle.

First, the “wall” behind the picture frame is actually perpendicular to the plane of view. Had it been part of the original photo, the portion to the left as seen by the observer would have the horizontal threads converging and the tiny squares created by the texture diminishing in size. To offset this and draw the observer’s attention, the Krugerrands on either side are animated at the start of the show. First they overcompensate to focus one’s attention then stabilize at the proper angle as they would have been had they been part of the original frame capture photo. The Krugerrand on the right is larger in diameter than the one on the left as it would appear in an actual photo. Having two objects with proper perspective provides camouflage for the backdrop – a technique which can be applied in other situations when necessary.

The photos appearing in the frame have either been manipulated in Photoshop to mirror the angle of perspective distortion of the frame or were chosen specifically because of their content which makes them amenable to the deception. For example, the last photo of the coyote had to be horizontally reversed in Photoshop so that the taper in the long muzzle appears with the coyote facing left as seen by the observer. Other subtle features are left for the observer to discern.

The “purpose” is to help the student learn perspective. To make apparent those features with which we all are familiar in everyday life yet few really take the time to understand. Of course art students learn this very early on, but not all of us have had classical training in art so even though we intrinsically “know” when something doesn’t appear just right, we don’t always know “why.”

Could this type animation be used in a practical slideshow? Perhaps, should someone wish to show an architectural room interior, etc.? Of course we don’t “need” frames at all but people have a strong interest in them else there wouldn’t be many software packages devoted to creating frames to put around out electronic images. Must the image fill the entire screen to be of value? It’s a good question. Pictures hang on our walls which occupy only a tiny bit of available space. Some people fill the wall with picture frames; others have only a single picture. Certainly it would be possible to use a landscape frame mode then enlarge to fill the screen and with no perspective view, but then it wouldn’t be a lesson in perspective.

Actually this exercise is a part of my forthcoming Advance Tutorials which go beyond PTE and encourage the user to experiment with tools such as Photoshop to learn more about not only the technical aspects of animation but also to further artistic exploration. Specifically, in the relevant sense, it shows how to create the illusion of perspective when none actually exists.

Hi Xaver,

Looks fine to me. I think much depends on the subject matter more than on the actual pespective distortion of "most" images themselves.

Does this example look a little bit more natural?

Best regards

Xaver

Munich

Very interesting effects, those of Lin and Xaver. I notice that Xaver's demo is a really original idea that nobody used before (I think). To be more perfect, the picture and the frame must be parallel, I have change a little bit Pan and Zoom in order to be parallel and the result is amazing. Of course, the photo must have the same perspective than this used in the slideshow.

Bravo Xaver

Hi Barry,

If you get the time, download it again and watch. I have changed the ending to something which I have not yet seen using PTE... Little surprise.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

Thanks for the explanation

Hi JPD,

If you have the time, download my demo again and look at a different ending. It's something I don't believe has been done in PTE yet. Little surprise!

Best regards,

Lin

Very interesting effects, those of Lin and Xaver. I notice that Xaver's demo is a really original idea that nobody used before (I think). To be more perfect, the picture and the frame must be parallel, I have change a little bit Pan and Zoom in order to be parallel and the result is amazing. Of course, the photo must have the same perspective than this used in the slideshow.

Bravo Xaver

Thank you Jean-Pierre,

You are right. The frame and the distorted image should have parallel edges. In addition: The way I did the distortion actually stretches the scene. The whole thing could have been done with much more care, but I did it during an extended work break, when I saw Lin's presentation.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Hi! Lin and all ardent readers,

I've had a try at this prospective game and if you have a look at my effort you will understand why I am waiting for Lin’s tutorial.

Please have a look, I’m sorry it's a mediafire download as I can’t afford my own web site untill the National lottery provides the cash L.O.L.

http://www.mediafire.com/?txoyjzxxqmz

Tom.

Hi JPD,

If you have the time, download my demo again and look at a different ending. It's something I don't believe has been done in PTE yet. Little surprise!

Best regards,

Lin

Right on Lin. To me, looks like it works perfectly.

When I had watched your first version I was actually waiting for your mountain goats to come out that way. As you say, even the original angle of the goat's pose suggested it might be a "natural", if you could pull it off. I also remembered your PS out-of-bounds work (on the goats) in your earlier 3-D Demo.:) So now - how difficult was it for you, once you rolled with the idea?

Thank you for your interim explanations, I want to take another look now to focus a bit on your subtleties. I think your intent for teaching is great. I think very few of us (?) have much formal knowledge of perspective. thanks

Hi Tom,

Actually quite innovative! What would be way cool is if you could use the same scene in both except a complete mirror image. So right to left in one and left to right in the opposite!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Robert,

Thanks! I thought about using the goats but the background wasn't quite right I think for the same effect. It would be a bit more difficult but certainly not impossible to do them this way.

Actually, not a lot of work to achieve the effect as long as you have an amenable subject. About 10 minutes total involving duplication of part of the coyote as a PNG - matching positions and zooms (one of the reasons for the need for a nice fine grid). I'm a bit surprised no one has done it before but probably just not something which immediately comes to mind. OOB is sort of a specialized subject which has intense interest but among only a few people. Perhaps this will be the "push" which encourages more to experiment? LOL

Hi JPD,

Best regards,

Lin

Bonjour Lin,

I have see your work seven times, twice yesterday, five time this morning, this work is very nice and as always the photos are great but I haven't see anything new, may be you can explain me where and what, I probably missed something, I am sorry.

I'll look at it in order to find, I search on the sheeps and the coyotte.

About 10 minutes total involving duplication of part of the coyote as a PNG - matching positions and zooms (one of the reasons for the need for a nice fine grid). I'm a bit surprised no one has done it before

I haven't understand, I need more time to see what you did with the coyotte.

Please have a look

As Xaver, you use zoom with Pan, but you use it is both direction, width and height and you didn't distort the photo before use it. It's a strange effect we can use.

Hi JPD,

I modified the next to last frame (the last coyote) which is now an oob (out of bounds) image. Unless you downloaded the file a second time you wouldn't see it. I don't believe this has been done in a pte show before. The coyote comes out of the frame.

Best regards,

Lin

Bonjour Lin,

I have see your work seven times, twice yesterday, five time this morning, this work is very nice and as always the photos are great but I haven't see anything new, may be you can explain me where and what, I probably missed something, I am sorry.

I'll look at it in order to find, I search on the sheeps and the coyotte.

I have see the new version, the work is nice. This idea of an oob (out of bounds) image was used in V4 by Oleg Lobatchef with a cat and myself in Corsica with a church.

With V5, there is a similar idea in Dis la nostalgie with the yellow flower, I didn't need grids, I used the method I explained here.

However, it's interesting to show what we can do with PTE especially when the work is nice and make progress everybody.

Here is a second version of my example (exe-file in zip).

Kind regards,

Xaver H.

Munich

What did you do, after having see your new version, now I have water on my desk :(

Hi JPD,

Quite a while back I showed an entire slideshow of OOB images so that was not novel to me, but was surprised that I had not seen an "animated" use of the technique in a PTE slideshow.

Yes, I too use a similar method of overlay of PNG objects without a grid but by using temporary opacity change for one.

Best regard,

Lin