WnSoft Forums

Bug-reports on version 5.6 Beta

Igor

Hi Igor!

In Beta6 I had sometime the problem of Exception EAborts, if I tried to create several Mask Containers in one Frame and edited the position and the Size of the Mask Containers.

post-159-1226330926_thumb.jpg

With best regards

Andreas

PS: Is it possible to make the grid-lines a bit more magnetic? I often have the problem, that I cannot exact position the Object.

Xaver,

Yes, I added the change according your suggestion. If we insert a new keyframe at time position where located keyframe of some another object, magnetic effect will not occur.

If it's not so, please send me minimal one slide's test project in ZIP and instruction.

Adda,

Can you always reproduce this problem?

Please send me one slide test project and step-by-step instruction.

Adda,

Can you always reproduce this problem?

Please send me one slide test project and step-by-step instruction.

Sorry, Igor!

I wanted to reproduce it with Beta 7, but now I have no errors.

But if there will be problems, I send you the project.

Best regards

Andreas

..Yes, I added the change according your suggestion. If we insert a new keyframe at time position where located keyframe of some another object, magnetic effect will not occur.

If it's not so, please send me minimal one slide's test project in ZIP and instruction.

Igor,

the included slide originally had 2 keyframes: At start and at transition point (8 sec.). I put the cursor to 00:07.943 and created the 3rd keyframe which automatically jumped to 00:08.000.

Regards,

Xaver

Project1_SimulatedFS_Nov10_2008_17_19_20.zip

Beta 7:

I opened a project where a file was missing so PTE reported the missing file. I substituted a different file in another location but PTE did not accept the change. It replaced the missing file in Objects and Animations but apparently doesn't update the PTE file that the changes have been made.

When I save it gives me the error that the "file" was not found. In beta 6 there was no problem with this. There were problems in earlier beta versions. In Beta 7 the problem has returned.

It seems as if in Beta 7 the PTE code is not being properly updated.

Best regards,

Lin

Topic for bug-reports.

Probably this is something stupid that nobody would actually ever do, but I originally did it by mistake while experimenting and found that it crashes the PTEViewer5.exe everytime. For some reason, I never noticed the little "Add Sound" button in the upper right-hand corner. So I thought it would be a cool way to add sound without going into project options. I happened to have the last slide in the show highlighted and I clicked the button and I picked the same music file I had originally added (without bothering to check project options). The show previews ok, but of course the last slide sounds weird as the second copy of the music plays over top of the first. But when the previewer shuts down, it crashes with the two messages below. I realize that this is not likely to be something anybody would do on purpose, but it is a bug, though somewhat obscure. Maybe an easy fix is not to allow a "Sound File" to be added that already exists in the list of project music files. Again, probably not something anybody would actually do on purpose if they had a clue.

post-128-1226799794_thumb.jpg

post-128-1226800802_thumb.jpg

(As an aside, yes, I know NOW that the actual intent of the button is to add a sound overdub or whatever to a specific slide. But it is certainly not one of the more intuitive features of PTE and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out where I could find an indication that the music/sound file had been added. I kept going into the "Customize Slide" window looking for it, but it never showed up. I could see by editing the .pte file that it was there but otherwise, I couldn't see any references to it. Nor could I find any indication of it on the timeline. I FINALLY figured out that the indication ONLY appeared in the location of the "sound button when I clicked on the slide or when I advanced to it in the animated preview window. Obviously I haven't ever used the feature, but I can understand the use for it with narrations and the like. I just think it is something that should somehow be indicated somewhere else more obvious. Not a major flaw in the program of course, but one of those things that could perhaps be handled more elegantly so that newbies or those not into every nuance of the program might understand it better (and not spend time figuring out how to get rid of a sound file added in error, either. I finally did once I noticed that indication in the upper right and realized that if I clicked the button again I would have options for removing or replacing the file. If it is possible to add at least an indication to the "Customize Slide" window -- even if you can't change or modify the sound file there, that might be an improvement. Or maybe I am just dumb and it is intuitive to everybody else.)

This may have been reported before and it may not even be specific to beta 7, but it is impossible to enter a decimal point into the "size /position of pixels" dialog box. All I get is an error sound when I try to do it either from the numeric or regular keypad. So, if I want to enter a fractional amount in one of the size or position fields, I have to type in the full number and then either use the arrow keys to navigate to the right of the decimal or actually click with the mouse somewhere in the decimal area to enter the figures. This is somewhat annoying.

Mary,

Just think for a moment about what you are asking PTE to do...

Your computer displays only whole pixels. You are asking it to position an object to a fraction of a pixel. It is impossible to have less than a whole pixel!

regards

Peter

Peter,

I know it looks contradictory ("Size/Position in PIXELS of parent) but it is, in fact, a percentage related back and forth between PIXELS and PERCENT. (The CALE problem??).

Therefore, May's point is valid, if indeed the problem that she sees exists.

I spotted a similar problem elsewhere and reported it - I don't know if Igor has updated it.

DaveG

Mary,

Just think for a moment about what you are asking PTE to do...

Your computer displays only whole pixels. You are asking it to position an object to a fraction of a pixel. It is impossible to have less than a whole pixel!

regards

Peter

The only reason I noticed the problem is because if you use the cursor to position objects, PTE actually indicates positions automatically using decimals. I was trying to copy some positions or sizes from one object to another and when I tried to type in the exact same measurement (including PTE's default decimal amount), that's when I discovered it was impossible to manually enter a decimal point. If PTE enters decimals as a default, it should be possible to enter them manually.

Mary/daveG,

Sorry to do this but I've got to re-introduce my "hobby horse topic" - intuitive.

That window is titled Size/position in pixels of parent (My italics and underscore). Pixels exist only in whole numbers. They do not exist in fractions of a pixel. Therefore those fields should accept as input and display as a result only whole numbers. If there is a bug in PTE it is that PTE displays a value (a decimal fraction of a pixel) that cannot physically exist.

When PTE prevented you from keying in a decimal value it was behaving in a manner that I would call intuitive. When it displayed values in decimal fractions it was not behaving intuitively.

regards,

Peter

Mary/daveG,

When PTE prevented you from keying in a decimal value it was behaving in a manner that I would call intuitive. When it displayed values in decimal fractions it was not behaving intuitively.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I do understand what you are saying and it does make sense. However, it can't be both ways. If you shouldn't be adding decimal values in the "Size / Position" dialog, then PTE shouldn't do it either. All I was trying to do was duplicate values entered automatically by the program to line up several objects.

Mary,

That is exactly the point I am making. In these fields, PTE should not display values in anything other than whole numbers. And values input into these fields must be limited to whole numbers (this latter, based on your experience, is already the case). Pixels cannot exist in fractions - only in whole numbers.

regards,

Peter

Mary,

Please send me full source files of this project which causes error message as on attached screenshots. (via Main menu | File | "Create backup in ZIP" function).

You can use Mediafire.com to upload ZIP file.

Igor,

The file was only 8 mb so I emailed it to you. Let me know if you don't receive it in a few hours.

Igor,

Just tried b8.

I know that it's work in progress, but i think it's better to say:

The function Run slideshow seems to work but: the nested show has the "wait a key press to advance to next slide".

This function seems not working. Slides go on automatically.

Moreover, when i press ESC to exit the nested slide, also the root slide exits.

Looks like the esc pressure does not work in a nested fashion, or it is interpreted twice.

Obviously i recompiled all the exe with b8.

Regards. Umberto

Hi Umberto,

Read this:..........

Ian,

Den,

the "wait for key press to advance" is not yet functional in the beta

It will work in the next Beta 9.

Also, I can't figure out how to return to the menu after the launched slideshow exits. On my test the menu has also quit.

Say we have Menu.pte and Slideshow.pte projects. In Slideshow.pte go to Project options | "More" tab and choose "Run slideshow" command, type "Menu.exe" . And important thing - choose "Run on any exit (including pressing of Esc key)" option.

Mmmmh... I did not expect the Run slideshow command would have this behaviour.

Say that I have a multi level menu. It starts from a main screen and let me choose

a sub menu on another slide. This slide has many clickable items with

run slideshow command.

A the end of the launched slideshow, if I force the launch of the initial menu I'll be transported

to the main screen of the menu. With the run application command I would be transported to

the sub menu since the menu slideshow was still executing in background.

I expected that the run slideshow would have this second behaviour.

Instead I suspect that the calling slideshow is completely discarded from memory

to let the launched one go on... My idea of nested slideshows is obviously bad :)

Mmmmh I don't know... This new behaviour constraints me to operate both on

menu and sub slideshows to get something working. The previous one was easier

to manage. Maybe an option to activate nesting?

Regards. Umberto.

Also, I can't figure out how to return to the menu after the launched slideshow exits. On my test the menu has also quit.

Say we have Menu.pte and Slideshow.pte projects. In Slideshow.pte go to Project options | "More" tab and choose "Run slideshow" command, type "Menu.exe" . And important thing - choose "Run on any exit (including pressing of Esc key)" option.