WnSoft Forums

Yellow

d67

Jaune d'automne / Yellow (Autumn's yellow) on Bill's Cottage site

Here a very short slideshow (2'18) just to show a few photos taken mid october when autumn's colors where bright and bursting ... as my musical extract choice (which for sure will find many adverse opinions as most of time, for such a subject, very "pacific" musics are choosen).

Slideshow fully controlable (Mouse clicks or keyboard)

Photos size 1600/1000

Alsace region (4 different spots) / France

Period of 2 weeks

Musical extract : Brother (Author JJ Goldmann)

These notes are also accessible with the F1 key during slideshow

PTE V5.6 beta 13

Comments welcome

Patrick,

I especially enjoyed the photos in the vinyard. Some of them were quite spectacular -- the obvious rows of grapevines and most especially the one with the church/cemetery in the center.

As for the sound, I found it quite annoying, but I just turned off while I watched the show. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick,

I wish I lived close to a landscape that offered such wonderful colour in the autumn. You are very fortunate, indeed! As for the music, I admit that, at first, it seemed out of place with the images. But then, as the sequence progressed and the geometric patterns of yellow lines came to dominate the images I found that I liked the overall effect.

Thank you for sharing this with us all.

regards,

Peter

Some of the images are not bad; to some extend they look over-processed. As a consequence, skies often show posterization effects. Synchronizing the transitions according to the second or third beat is a matter of taste. As it has been said above: Regarding the images, the music is annoying.

Thank you for sharing!

Xaver H.

Munich

Hello Patrick,

A wonderful place to live close to especially during the autumnal months. I enjoyed the 'pattern' pictures very much. But like a few others I found the choice of music a little strange to say the least. I appreciate that we all 'see and hear' differently to each other but my thoughts on watching this short sequence is that some more gentle and pastoral music would have been for more suited to the beautiful colours and the shape of the landscape in the photographs.

Also I find the various transitions an interesting aspect. Personally I would have used just the 'fade'.

However this is your choice and thanks for putting it out for us to share.

Anthony

Jaune d'automne / Yellow (Autumn's yellow) on Bill's Cottage site

Here a very short slideshow (2'18) just to show a few photos taken mid october when autumn's colors where bright and bursting ... as my musical extract choice (which for sure will find many adverse opinions as most of time, for such a subject, very "pacific" musics are choosen).

Comments welcome

Patrick -

The music did not work me and was a distraction from the beautiful photographs. But if you like the music, then I commend you for going with it even though you suspected it might be unusual. You are certainly an accomplished photographer.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Hi everybody

Many thanks to all of you who tooked time to write a comment.

I will try to give a few explanations to some of the points you pinpointed.

Pixellisation of some skies

Firstly, I created a slideshow with 2 times the amount of photos of the present one.

With a resolution of 1600/1000, I compressed a little bit more than usually my photos so that the slideshow keeped a reasonable size.

I didn't change compression (I forgot it) when I opted for this shorter presentation.

Over-processed photos

For most photos I increased the color saturation, the sharpening and contrast a little bit (2 to 5%) to compensate the tendancy of image softening of my camera (Sony Alpha 100).

The second point is due to the low position of the sun : photos may then seem "over contrasted".

I also used in some cases a polarising filter to enhance the bright colors and eliminate some parasite sun glitches.

Music... :blink:

My first choice a month ago was "For the Love of a Princess" / Braveheart... a very classical choice for such photos but the mix ringed wrong to me and I abandonned the slideshow till I heard the present music (Album-L'union sacrée, Author-Jean-Jacques Goldman, Titel-Brother, Interpreter-Carole Fredericks).

It truly imposed on me as it fitted very close to what I felt during my photo sessions.

The whole music duration is 7'46 and I love everything : the rythm, the deep voice of Carole Fredericks, the instruments...

For my slideshow I extracted the very last 2'18

Without this music, clearly no slideshow (or, perhaps in half a year !) about my autumn photos.

Anyway, I understand very easily that this is a, from far not shared, personnal taste ... my wife said that I had a very very bad music choice ... all the more she had to suffer many times this music in loop for a few days before I ended my presentation !

Anyhow, most important is that the photos apealed to you... and that is the goal of that slideshow

Patrick

P.S.

I am a truly newbie with V5. I made my slideshow in PTE V4.49 and then imported it in the present V5 beta

Are the options I choosed right or is somethng not good ?

optva6.jpg

w350.png

P.S.

I am a truly newbie with V5. I made my slideshow in PTE V4.49 and then imported it in the present V5 beta

Are the options I choosed right or is somethng not good ?

optva6.jpg

w350.png

I just wanted to know if theses settings are logical or if something has to be changed but, apparently, only newbies (as I am) with PTE V5 have read this message... too bad!

Patrick

Oui, c'est bon, ainsi tu es comme dans la V4, taille fixe en pixels si écran>size of slide, sinon ajustement à l'écran.

Thank you Lin for your comment and reply.

Thank you JPD but for best comprehension of most of the members of this forum I will continue in english.

OK then. Settings are as for V4 but something stays unclear for me :

- what for "fixed size of slide" while just above we can choose "Fullscreen" or "Windowed mode"?

- "Hardware acceleration"... what for this setting and what is the best choice so that the slideshow can be run on most of the PC's?

- is there an interest of both settings "aspect ratio of slide" and "Size of slide"? ... I don't understand what can be the interest to give figurs which are not those of the slides really used in the presentation! I also don't clearly understand why these 2 figurs are not interdependent (why have to give the size of slide and then have to give the aspect ratio ?)

Patrick,

Thanks so much for trying something different in a slideshow.( the music)

I wasn't sure at first but well before the end I was ,and for me it really made a good show GREAT.

As always with what I have seen of your work,superb images !

The last image was for me one of the best...as it should be.

I have watched it twice and have saved to watch many times.

Again well done to you for a different/original idea/approach.

All the Best

Neil

(Your No1 fan)

...Settings are as for V4 but something stays unclear for me :

- what for "fixed size of slide" while just above we can choose "Fullscreen" or "Windowed mode"?

- "Hardware acceleration"... what for this setting and what is the best choice so that the slideshow can be run on most of the PC's?

- is there an interest of both settings "aspect ratio of slide" and "Size of slide"? ... I don't understand what can be the interest to give figurs which are not those of the slides really used in the presentation! I also don't clearly understand why these 2 figurs are not interdependent (why have to give the size of slide and then have to give the aspect ratio ?)

Patrick,

I'll try and explain these as I currently understand them.

Firstly, the easier one to answer: "Hardware acceleration...". If you are using the PTE v5 features of animation (Pan, Zoom or rotate), then this needs to be ticked. PTE v5 makes extensive use of the capabilities of the graphics processor unit (GPU) that is part of the graphics card in order to provide smooth animation movement. It does no harm to leave this ticked all the time.

(I'll use an example to explain the "Fixed size of slide". Let us assume that I am working to a 4:3 aspect ratio but on a monitor having 1280x1024 resolution. Also, let us assume that, in my sequence, I have one image that I have sized to 1024x768 and all the others are 1280x960.

If I leave "Fixed size of slides" unticked, PTE will increase the size of the small image up to 1280x960. If I have ticked "Fixed size..." then this small image will be kept at its small size.) (The text in italics is an incorrect explanation. A corrected statement will be made in due course.)

"Aspect ratio...." can be used to specify, for example, that the sequence is to be built for wide-screen (e.g at 16:9) even though the working monitor is of a different aspect ratio.

I hope those explanations have helped you to understand these options. And if my understanding is wrong, we can be sure that someone will tell us both!

regards,

Peter

Edited: 17:15GMT on 11 December 2009 - to advise of incorrect statements about "Fixed Size..." feature

Thank you Peter for your explanations, clear as crystal!

I deduce that in the case of my presentation, "Hardware acceleration" was not absolutely required and that all other options where OK as previously said by JPD and Lin (this time I know why).

I take advantage of this reply to thank again all those of you, which kindly gave an opinion.

Photos are OK but we are not plenty to appreciate this particular music extract or this particular association (landscape/music) :rolleyes:

Patrick

Patrick,

It might have been clear as crystal but it has been pointed out to me that I got it wrong! That is, I was wrong in my explanation of the "Fixed size..." feature. The explanation of "Hardware acceleration..." was correct and, as yet, nobody has corrected me about the "Aspect ratio..." either, so that seems to be OK, too. I will post a correction for "Fixed size..." once I am satisfied that I really do understand what happens with the various settings.

My apologies for having confused you.

regards,

Peter

After a short period of investigation I have produced four simple project files to illustrate the effect of different Aspect Ratio settings.

I have been unable to make any sense of just what "Fixed size..." is doing. Intuitively, because my monitor size is 1280x1024 and because my actual image files are 1024x768, I was expecting that ticking "Fixed size..." would show me the image file at its true size of 1024x768 in the middle of my 1280x1024 monitor. But this doesn't seem to be what it does. PTE isn't "intuitive" on this matter as far as I can see.

AspectRatio.zip

regards,

Peter

After a short period of investigation I have produced four simple project files to illustrate the effect of different Aspect Ratio settings.

I have been unable to make any sense of just what "Fixed size..." is doing. Intuitively, because my monitor size is 1280x1024 and because my actual image files are 1024x768, I was expecting that ticking "Fixed size..." would show me the image file at its true size of 1024x768 in the middle of my 1280x1024 monitor. But this doesn't seem to be what it does. PTE isn't "intuitive" on this matter as far as I can see.

AspectRatio.zip

regards,

Peter

I don't understand the finality of the options "fixed size", "format" and "size of slide"

In your example, ticking "Fixed size" and then setting slide size to 1024/768 (the real size) give the same result as slide size setted at 1280/720 on my screen (1440/900)

... any sense of just what "Fixed size..." is doing...

It defines (within D3D fullscreen mode) a kind of window (or mask) of fixed size (defined by the user) in which the show will run. Only in cases where the screen is too small, this window will be reseized.

Regards,

Xaver

Patrick

the size of your photos should help you switch to fullscreen without damaging your photos.

personally this year, I prepare my photos to 1600 X 1200 and fullscreen on PTE "cover slide" and I have no deterioration of my images and much more pleasant in fullscreen

Of course you keep your usual compression in Photoshop even if the weight is doubled, in my last slideshow I have some photos of more than 1 Mo and the average of 800 Ko (anaglyph) 2D about 500 Ko to 600 Ko

You know my old setup ... here goes smoothly.

Good luck

Bernard

the size of your photos should help you switch to fullscreen without damaging your photos.

Without knowing exactly what is done , I suppose that these settings have some importance when the size of the photos is much more smaller than the screen on wich they will be watched.

In the case of photos of great size, these settings are of poor importance and fullscreen is then the best choice.

Patrick