WnSoft Forums

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6 Beta 15

Igor

Hi Lin,

You said:"Is it really any different in substance than clicking on an Icon and viewing a JPG in Photoshop or Irfanview, etc.? When we open a jpg in any image editor we have the option of viewing it, editing it and re-saving or closing and opening a different file."

I really wouldn't know because I make it a habit to always go back to the RAW file in NX2 OR keep CS3/4 open when working on files for PTE so that if I need to, I can make an edit and then save to my PTE project folder. I don't need to send the JPEG to CS3 - it is usually open in the form of a layered PSD. I gave up on shooting JPEG a long time ago. Saving VERSIONS of the same file within NEFs or PSD files is simple and allows for return to any part of the creative process without the need for having numerous TIFF files of the same original.

Same goes for sound files - I keep AUDITION open when working on a file for PTE. I make it a habit to save as WAV version as well as MP3 so that I can go back to an uncompressed file if I want to do any editing.

During this discussion we have refered to JPEGs and MP3s as though they are always the same in terms of quality. JPEGs, as we all know, can be quality 1 to quality 12. Would you apply the same rules to a quality 1 JPEG as to a quality 12 JPEG? Where would you draw the line?

With MP3 files would you apply the same rules to a 20 Kbps file as to a 320 Kpbs file? Again, where would you draw the line?

I am of the opinion that it is far safer to make a generalization that JPEG and MP3 files should not be repeatedly opened, edited and re-saved. That way, good working practice is promoted.

DaveG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Peter,

What I meant is that the "solution" was resolved in our discussions by saving under an alternate file name. The issue with doing that was having multiple PTE files which could be more of a problem than overwriting unintentionally so that solution was never implemented, at least as far as I know.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Dave,

Though we agree that in general it's not a good idea to open, re-edit and save a jpg or mp3 file repeatedly because of file degradation, it becomes an issue of expediency and whether the degree of damage is important or not for the intended purpose, or whether the user elects to open an alternative version.

Though some photographers work only with RAW files many of us save our work in low jpg compression (Photoshop 12 or equivalent) and archive that way on our main use hard disk for conservation of storage. With some of my cameras I shoot in RAW and keep the originals for subsequent manipulations and with others I shoot in JPG because there is little difference between the RAW and jpg. Not so with all cameras for certain.

But what is the essential difference between keeping Audition open while using PTE and allowing an external program such as PTE to open it for you? The only relevant difference is that a file could be loaded by PTE but even that could be an option. It's certainly possible to have PTE open an external audio editor and make the tree structured folder path containing relevant files available (by reading the PTE path to the sound file) without loading a specific file. Then the user can choose whether to open an mp3, wave or other format.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

You said:"Is it really any different in substance than clicking on an Icon and viewing a JPG in Photoshop or Irfanview, etc.? When we open a jpg in any image editor we have the option of viewing it, editing it and re-saving or closing and opening a different file."

I really wouldn't know because I make it a habit to always go back to the RAW file in NX2 OR keep CS3/4 open when working on files for PTE so that if I need to, I can make an edit and then save to my PTE project folder. I don't need to send the JPEG to CS3 - it is usually open in the form of a layered PSD. I gave up on shooting JPEG a long time ago. Saving VERSIONS of the same file within NEFs or PSD files is simple and allows for return to any part of the creative process without the need for having numerous TIFF files of the same original.

Same goes for sound files - I keep AUDITION open when working on a file for PTE. I make it a habit to save as WAV version as well as MP3 so that I can go back to an uncompressed file if I want to do any editing.

During this discussion we have refered to JPEGs and MP3s as though they are always the same in terms of quality. JPEGs, as we all know, can be quality 1 to quality 12. Would you apply the same rules to a quality 1 JPEG as to a quality 12 JPEG? Where would you draw the line?

With MP3 files would you apply the same rules to a 20 Kbps file as to a 320 Kpbs file? Again, where would you draw the line?

I am of the opinion that it is far safer to make a generalization that JPEG and MP3 files should not be repeatedly opened, edited and re-saved. That way, good working practice is promoted.

DaveG

..... and if Igor did this the first thing that would happen is that someone would want to know why the file that they right clicked on did not open up as they expected it to!!!

Lin, I appluad your methodology with JPEGs BUT not everyone does that. Nor are some people aware of the implications of O, E and R-S'ing.

The general consensus amongst people who ask about the "best" slide show software at places like Nikonians is that PTE is too complicated and (I hate to say this!!!!!) unintuitive. I can provide links to these statements if required.

What I want from PTE is that it should do what it was always intended to do - create the best quality slide shows.

Bells and whistles don't interest me in the slightest. I know how to open CS3 or Audition if required without having PTE do it for me.

DaveG

snip

The general consensus amongst people who ask about the "best" slide show software at places like Nikonians is that PTE is too complicated and (I hate to say this!!!!!) unintuitive. I can provide links to these statements if required.

With great power comes a degree of complexity. In that sense PTE has always been "complicated" but not nearly as complicated as some of the competition. The beauty of PTE is in the nuts and bolts approach versus the "canned" approach of the competition. No slideshow software which I've ever used is as easy to create a simple, yet elegant slideshow with as PTE. On the other hand it can be as complex and versatile as one cares to make it.

As for "intuitive" or "unintuitive" - that's a very subjective thing. Since human minds do not work alike, what is quite intuitive for some is the polar opposite for others. The mind of an artist and the mind of an engineer are quite different. One frequently thinks outside the box while the other rarely ventures beyond strict "rules" for thinking. What may be intuitive for an engineer may be jiberish for an artist and vice versa. So subjective terms like "intuitive" have little meaning outside of the realm of "logic." Something is logical or not, and that makes sense to both the artist and engineer, etc., but they would rarely agree on whether a feature is intuitive. Since the world of "digital" cameras, especially forums, are primarily inundated with engineering type thinkers, they could be expected to not find certain aspects of PTE "intuitive". On the other hand if you would ask a forum of artistic "photographers" (as opposed to those more interested in the technology) whether they found PTE intuitive, you may get an entirely different response.

What I want from PTE is that it should do what it was always intended to do - create the best quality slide shows.

Of course, and to that end I believe it does. The quality of output from PTE is unsurpassed by "any" other presentation slideshow program while the quality of PTE surpasses nearly all others in my opinion.

Best regards,

Lin

snip

DaveG

... there is no feature in PTE to go straight to the nominated sound editor ...

Peter,

If you right-click on a slide in the slide list, you will find the entry "Edit sound comment". It can be used in order to edit the locally added sound with the editor entered in the advanced options.

Regards,

Xaver

AbdolReza

...I find a problem in running Some DosCommand as a following projectSource ...

Xaver is quite correct. This is not a bug ... it is a limitation implemented long ago in PTE to secure against possible misuse of the run external application function.

Abdol,

I think that your observation (cmd.exe does start) indicates a security measure rather that a bug.

Regards,

Xaver

Munich

xahu

But , why they perform by Start->Run : cmd.exe

RegEdit.exe

or

why they perform by creating shortcut for instance :

(Rightclick on desktop -> New -> shortcut -> type "cmd.exe" -> Save in the name "cmd" )

or

why they perform by creating *.bat for instance :

Rightclick on desktop -> New -> Notepad -> type "cmd.bat" -> choose save as from File menu -> type "cmd.bat" as File's Name &

and choose AllFiles as SaveFormat

or

why they perform by shortcut's of AccoBrowser (http://www.acoobrowser.com/download/acbsetup.exe)

that I upload its picture .

or

How some hackers can perform them from their computers ?

Therefore I think it's a bug for PTE !

Sincerely

post-6430-1229294952_thumb.jpg

AbdolReza

Therefore I think it's a bug for PTE !

Again ... I repeat it is not a bug in PTE.

The instances you mention are being run by your windows functions and not by PTE run function. You should be able to run any command you wish on your own computer by using your windows function directly ... but not with the aid of PTE.

1. Sticking Image in Mini-Player, only when in "Real Slide View"

To demonstrate:-

Click - Slide on the Slide List or (Timeline View).

Click - Object and Animation Button.

Click - Close to exit (no changes are necessary).

Click - Alternate Slide on the Slide List, Image remains on the original Slide.

This problem is inconsistant and may need several attempts to demonstrate.

When the the Image "sticks", clicking on several different Images will prompt a change.

Sildes in the File Panel are not affected, clicking there results in immediate change of Image.

2. Minor problem - the "up and down" arrows in the Time Box adjacent to the Timed Points Button in Timeline view don't work.

Hi Scorpion,

1. Sticking Image in Mini-Player, only when in "Real Slide View"

To demonstrate:-

Click - Slide on the Slide List or (Timeline View).

Click - Object and Animation Button.

Click - Close to exit (no changes are necessary).

Click - Alternate Slide on the Slide List, Image remains on the original Slide.

This problem is inconsistant and may need several attempts to demonstrate.

When the the Image "sticks", clicking on several different Images will prompt a change.

Sildes in the File Panel are not affected, clicking there results in immediate change of Image.

2. Minor problem - the "up and down" arrows in the Time Box adjacent to the Timed Points Button in Timeline view don't work.

Can I just check that you have not confused yourself? If I do:

1. Click - Slide A in Slide List

2. Slide A is shown in mini-player

3. Click - Slide B (a different slide) in File Panel

4. Slide B is shown in mini-player

4. Click - O&A Button

5. Slide A is shown in the O&A window

6. Click - Close (no changes)

7. Slide B is shown in the mini-player

This is entirely in keeping with PTE's expected behaviour. The only slides you can take into O&A are those that form part of your sequence. The last such slide from my hypothetical sequence, in the above example, was Slide A and so it appears in the O&A window. Upon return to the main window we are shown the last slide viewed in the Main Window. In my hypothetical sequence, that was Slide B.

Are you simply witnessing this behaviour? Or is there something else going on?

regards,

Peter

Sorry I didn't include version details, these are - 5.6 beta15, earlier betas also

System spec - Windows XP Sp3 - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2 x 3.00 GHz) - 2 GB Ram - GFORCE 9500GT

I must stress, the problem is only when the mini player is in "Real Slide View".

Clicking slides in the File Panel change as expected.

Only slides in the Slide View (along the bottom of the screen) or in Timeline mode are affected.

Peter

After Step 2 on your list, you have to go into O&A on that slide, then exit and click on Slide B.

The Image in mini player stays on Slide A.

After several clicks on different slides, the Image will change to reflect the slide clicked on.

( Is it a timing problem, fast processor ?)

Thank you all, for your replies, Ken.

The Mystery deepens -

I attempted to load version 5.1 to see if the problem was there.

The program appeared to load, then I got an error report when the program attempted to load settings from 5.6 beta 15.

I ran the un-install to clear out the files of 5.1.

Amazing - 5.6 beta 15 now works as expected.

Perhaps there was some garbage lurking from the earlier version of 5.1 on my system.

Thank you all for your replies, I will report again should the problem resurface. Ken

AbdolReza,

The point that Tom and Xaver are making is that, whilst you might want to be able to delete your entire PC's hard-drive contents from a button in a PTE slide sequence, the rest of us are horrified at the thought of such a PTE sequence being uploaded to a website and then downloaded by the rogues out there who have the inclination to maliciously damage other people's computers.

The present inability in PTE to issue the cmd.exe from within PTE is not a bug - it is a deliberate and conscious design decision of Igor. PTE is working as designed - and nobody else is likely to support any request for a change to the design in this particular area.

If you want to issue Windows commands, use the Windows command interface and not PTE.

regards,

Peter

...If you want to issue Windows commands, use the Windows command interface and not PTE...

Peter, Tom,

In the meantime, PTE has a list of files which normally will not be executed. But there still seems to be a problem. PTE executes or opens files in the field "Run application or open file ..." which have been entered via relative paths. So I entered .\a.exe /k "ipconfig" into this field, copied cmd.exe, renamed it to a.exe, and put it into the folder of the corresponding pte-file. A click on the image during preview, and I could read my IP configuration. So, let's be careful with downloaded zipped projects.

Regards,

Xaver

The present inability in PTE to issue the cmd.exe from within PTE is not a bug - it is a deliberate and conscious design decision of Igor. PTE is working as designed - and nobody else is likely to support any request for a change to the design in this particular area.

Peter

I quite agree Igor's decision and what say Peter. Igor could never stop all bad action, it's not useful to explain here how to do, please write directly to Igor if you have an idea or a problem about this subject.

Sorry to have to say that sometimes it's necessary to reflect before to write

Igor,

I don't know whether you will consider this to be a bug or not...

I had used v5.6 beta 14 to build a menu to drive six other sequences, calling each one using the "Run application and Return" feature. I then opened each of the other sequences in v5.6 beta14 and did a Create of an exe. I then tested the sequences and everything was OK. The menu sequence and the six called sequences were all at v5.6 beta14 level. Today I use Photoshop to make some minor changes to a couple of the images in one of the called sequences. I opened that sequence in PTE and created a new exe file in order to pick up the modifed images. When I tested that everything was still OK when calling this sequence off the menu, PTE said that there was a version mismatch. On checking back over what I had done, I discovered that I had used beta15 to create the new exe of the called sequence instead of beta 14.

I hope that PTE doesn't need to have an absolutely perfect match of version across all sequences. It is going to be a real pain if we have to re-build all our sequences every time you release a new version of PTE. I would have thought that the check being made by PTE should be that the called sequence has been built using a version of PTE that supports the "Run Slideshow" feature (i.e. that the sequences are built at v5.6 or higher).

regards,

Peter