WnSoft Forums

Christmas sequence

Ian

Seasons Greetings to all on the forum! This is a short sequence on Vimeo, mainly of London department stores but also a few from Paris thrown in for good measure.

Click the link to view an embedded video The More the Merrier

Best wishes to all at Kirov, and I'm sure we can all look forward to lots more PTE innovations in 2009!

Ian

i have had no problem with latest flash

but its your nickel

did you tru the vimeo link -= bottom right corner

it takes you here

http://vimeo.com/2505255?pg=embed&sec=2505255

try that

ken

Thanks Ken

I thought you had solved the Flash 9 problem for me with vimeo, but even vimeo told me I needed Flash 9 upgrade!!

Ian's sequences are usually excellent, so it looks as though I will have to bite the bullet!

Boogie

Well, all I get is a black square and no slide show when I click the link.

Much rather see the full slide show as an exe anyway. I don't have any problem downloading and viewing executable shows and wonder what the big attraction of Vimeo is. Maybe it is me getting old and past it these days, but on the PTE forum we want to see the shows at their absolute best don't we?

Well, I do!

Am I all alone in these thoughts or is everyone jumping into Vimeo because it's there.

Ken

Yes, I appreciate what you say about bringing the shows to a wider audience, it is a very valid point and one I fully support.

However, the fact that I could not click the link and see the show as it was intended rather destroys that idea. Yes, I suppose I could have found a way around the fact the slide show wouldn't play for me, but I didn't. Rightly or wrongly I couldn't be bothered at that time. I would suggest that most casual observers who would be the target of these streaming shows won't either.

This is the PTE site and I for one would rather see the executable version, with perhaps a second streaming link that might reach that wider audience.

Hi Barry,

Just install Flash 9 - download from the Adobe site free. Actually, for this type show the Flash version is about a good as an executable. There are no big zooms or long pans and the animation is quick enough that no jerkiness is visible at all - actually it looks great at full screen.

The "majority" of younger users already have the latest and greatest Flash player installed. It's just we old geezers who are slow to the gate, so I suppose it depends on the audience you want to reach. Both Vimeo and Youtube now display higher resolution Flash and convert the MP4's from PTE automatically. Vimeo allows the user to determine whether they want the viewer to be able to download the original MP4 so actually it's a pretty decent system with broad appeal. The only thing I don't care for about Vimeo (and the new trend) is that they only support high definition in 16:9 aspect ratio which millions of users still have systems on which displays are anything but. Also the majority of digital cameras don't shoot in 16:9 meaning we have to crop our images and shoot with future cropping in mind to make a decent looking HD show as it is displayed on Vimeo.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

Thanks for the heads up, but right now I don't really want to start installing anying on this laptop. I have not long arrived in Australia and this laptop it is my only way of keeping in touch with my web site and family. I have no other PC's and no software to effect any repairs.

I know the risk is slight, but leave well enough alone is my motto under these circumstances.The rest of our PC's are on a ship on their way and then I can get back to normal operation.

I will have to live without seeing the slide show unless the author publishes a link to to full exe file.

On-line video or downloadable exe file? I think Ken has hit the nail squarely on the head by stating that they are intended for different audiences. For the best quality, an exe file played on your own machine can't be beaten, but requires time and effort to download and run. This particular file has lots of fast moving images so weighs in at a hefty 80Mb. I know if I was presented with a file that size I just wouldn't bother downloading it!

On-line streaming video such as You Tube and Vimeo offer instant access to a casual viewer, and can be seen by people who wouldn't dream of downloading anything. I have one file on You Tube that has been viewed over 7000 times - I'm sure that the vast majority of these viewers have never even heard of AV so would not have seen the sequence at all if it was simply available as a download. This particular file is also available on my website as a downloadable exe (along with a few other older sequences), and a small proportion of viewers have done this after seeing the You Tube version.

My view is that AV is a dynamic medium and changing rapidly, and hence all types of sequence and all methods of distribution should be encouraged. From the lectures and demos I've done round the UK this year, I know that the on-line publishing has attracted a lot of interest, and I always get lots of questions about these new features. It usually takes a while for new features to start to get used in anger, but already there are quite a few 'traditionalists' who have experimented with You Tube in particular.

Vimeo seems to give a higher quality result than You Tube (even if using the new higher definition version), but the user-base is much lower. As Barry has found, it also requires a current version of Flash to work at all. I guess its a similar situation to the launch of PTE v5, when lots of users found that their computers weren't powerful enough or didn't have a current DirectX version. I guess nothing stands still for very long....

I'll be visiting Australia in the Spring for the Adelaide International AV Festival, so look forward to seeing some of the antipodean authors then!

Ian