WnSoft Forums

Gif as Mask....

Suggest recognizing .gif as a valid format for masks.... Right now only jpg and png are automatically detected. Sometimes a GIF file can be advantageous because with masks color is not needed - just B&W and even though one may "detect" no color in a PNG visually, there may still be a good deal of RAM tied up with color unless the file is desaturated. Gif files only having 256 color possibilities are almost always smaller and "sometimes" make a great mask. I think the majority of JPD's recent masks are gif files...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Peter,

The operant word is "recognize." When you click on "add a mask" the formats are "bmp, jpeg, jpg and png." You can add a gif "if" you already know the file name or write it down, but the program doesn't "recognize" gif files in that it doesn't automatically "display" gif files in the folder or on the drive even though it will let you use one if you type in the name.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Ah! Now I understand what you are wanting. Thanks to you and JPD I understand the principles of how the masks are used and how they work but I have not yet done any serious practical work with them. However, I'm in complete agreement with you on this suggestion.

regards,

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
Lin,

Ah! Now I understand what you are wanting. Thanks to you and JPD I understand the principles of how the masks are used and how they work but I have not yet done any serious practical work with them. However, I'm in complete agreement with you on this suggestion.

regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

I would add some more comments to what Lin said about .gif for masks.

1) if you know the name of the gif you can succeed to load the gif as a mask but that does not work each time. Sometimes to times you can get a blue screen error window

2) same thing happens sometimes if you want to load a .gif image as an object even if the gif format is recognised

The test can be made for example with JPD Layer_15.gif

Is there some explanation?

Daniel.

Daniel,

I have sort of come to the conclusion that PTE likes Compuserve GIFs (Save As) and does not like some of the variants offered by Save for the Web.

DaveG

Thanks Dave, I will try on my side but in any case that cannot solve the problem for the masks format. It would be interesting to know why the gif format was not taken into account for masks by PTE developpers.

Daniel.

likely because the gif protocol is not open source

-or similar reasoning

- think Igor made that statement years ago

that is why we have to been able to use gifs

ken

but according to this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.gif

The US LZW patent expired on June 20, 2003.[16] The counterpart patents in the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy expired on June 18, 2004, the Japanese counterpart patents expired on June 20, 2004 and the counterpart Canadian patent expired on July 7, 2004.[16] Consequently, while Unisys has further patents and patent applications relating to improvements to the LZW technique,[16] the GIF format may now be used freely.

ken

likely because the gif protocol is not open source

-or similar reasoning

...the GIF format may now be used freely.

Sorry Ken but I do not reach your point, that does not explain why the gif format is not allowed for masks.

Daniel.

WELL

write to Igor then and ask him

he has a hot link after his signature to send a note

ken

from help file of

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.0

+ Added support of PNG images files (including PNG with partial semi-transparency).

+ You can quickly remove slide(s) from Slide list simply dragging them back to File list.

+ You can quickly press Enter to show "Customize slide" window for selected slide(s).

+ Main image of a slide can be transparent GIF or transparent PNG now.

that is all i can find on gifs

Igor will have to come to your rescue

ken