WnSoft Forums

Where do we find the video converter??

Lin Evans

Hi Gérard,

Thanks! That explains why I can't find it. I think it would be much better if the access were available from within PTE rather than as a side program. I can't access it that way because of a limitation with Windows XP. I have too many programs on my system and I can't see PicturesToExe Beta, etc., so I'll have to chase it down via Explore. I think Igor should put a link button within the PTE main code to access this via right mouse click on video's found in the tree or on thumbnails rather than as a separate free standing program.

Thanks again,

Lin

Hi Lin,

Go to the Start menu of Windows (bottom left of your screen)

then : All programs > PicturesToExe 7.0 Beta > Beta 14 > Tools > VideoConverter

Hi Igor,

That makes perfect sense!

Enjoy your vacation and take lots of pictures for us so we can enjoy it when you return !!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin. You're right, of course. We'll integrate converter into PTE when I return back to home. We had to hurry because of my trip. Currently I'm in Tallin, Estonia (EU). Beautiful Old Town by the way. Igor

Might I suggest that PTE should have a "Tools" command on the command bar with the Video Converter located there. Further, I would suggest that the user should be able to add tools of their own to the drop-down menu.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

If you mean a location where the user can specify links to personal applications in addition to the ability we have at present to assign our favoured image and audio editors (PS9 and Audacity in my case) then I would be delighted with that. I find myself using the likes of Drawing from Open Office, Xara 3D6 and on occasions Photomatix all of which would be much more easily accessed directly from PTE.

John

It takes five or six clicks and a scroll action to launch Video Converter from the Start button. It would take just two clicks to launch it from PTE's command bar via a Tools drop down menu. I hate wasting time and effort on unnecessary mouse actions.

Peter

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with using the existing windows taskbar -- why have things added to pte that are already there with the windows operating system ?

saddle it up with more and more duplicate features :(

ken

How would the newer user know it exists, telepathy perhaps. You really need to think a bit further than PTE disciples.

a new user would ask

or

will have read the latest instruction/change sheet

or do a search on the forum

ken

Wanna bet?

In the words of a famous American, You cannot be serious, but you are arn't you !

It not only has to be a part of PTE, but it also needs to be easily found

FROM IGOR

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13388-where-do-we-find-the-video-converter/page__view__findpost__p__87312

"Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:45 PM Hi Lin. You're right, of course. We'll integrate converter into PTE when I return back to home. We had to hurry because of my trip. Currently I'm in Tallin, Estonia (EU). Beautiful Old Town by the way. Igor "

I imagine he will make it easier to access then B)

ken

Why is it so important to be able to find it.

Does it not convert "on the fly".

I realise that it is an important asset but I thought that its function was to convert in real time.

Please forgive any speeling arrores etc = German KB.

DG

Hi David,

It doesn't convert "on the fly." That may eventually be something to be considered, but "only," in my opinion, if as an option which could be chosen by the user by a check mark, etc.

The reason it should be optional is that conversion takes considerable time and it certainly is not always necessary. One of the BIG advantages of PTE over the competition right now is its ability to virtually instantly add video and see the result in an instant preview. If the conversion were done on the fly and the video was of any significant length and of high resolution, the time to review would be like that of the competition which is a real "pain" to say the least.

Right now one converts, and the conversion, when used, is then instantly available. The other issue is that when converting something like Flash FLV, the conversion is going to be significantly larger in file size. Sometimes having a little Flash FLV video used for animated effects can be a wonderful addition to your slideshow. On the other hand, the same "tiny" file size when converted might add forty or fifty megabytes, with no significant improvement in performance. The competition can't use Flash FLV and conversions "must" be made and are done "on the fly." This is very annoying. Using PTE is sooooo much faster and easier because it "doesn't" convert on the fly.....

Best regards,

Lin

Why is it so important to be able to find it.

Does it not convert "on the fly".

I realise that it is an important asset but I thought that its function was to convert in real time.

Please forgive any speeling arrores etc = european KB.

DG

Hi Lin,

I'm back and have tried the Video Converter.

I seem to have a little problem with it.

I have figured out how to make some of the changes but when I try to save in a different location I cannot change or add the new file type - there are no options in the drop down for file type. The converted file appears then to be a "Jpeg" (??) in Explorer.

If I leave it as default it will change my (.wmv) file to .mpg4 in the same location. If I want the MPEG4 in a specific location then the (.wmv) file has to be in that location to start with. I'm OK with that but is that how it is supposed to work?

It also does the conversion in less time than the overall time of the video clip which strengthens my belief that this could work "on the fly".

DG

Dave,

It also does the conversion in less time than the overall time of the video clip which strengthens my belief that this could work "on the fly".

When video integration development began, Igor did comment it could convert video on the "fly"

Development Link.

I suspect the converter is only suppose to convert video to the best supported format and requirements needed for PTE ... and does not generally convert video to multiple formats like most all-around video programs and tools available .

That doesn't make sense Stu,

The ability to "save as" is available but when used it saves as a JPEG (or at least that's how Explorer interprets it) because there are no options in the File Type box and you can't type it in.

I don't really want to be having to move or copy a video into my project folder to convert it to the correct format and then delete it afterwards (recipe for disaster!).

Neither do I want to write the converted copy to my external HDD and then have to copy to my Project Folder. So the "Save as" would be very useful.

I agree about it being a dedicated converter but the "Save As" should at least allow you to save to a different folder albeit in the MPEG4 format.

I'm wondering if it is a bug or a "work in progress".

DG

Dave,

Im quite sure its still work in progress ... since its the very first release.

The Save As works justs fine for me when testing video files of a MOV or MP4. The converter exports the file to my selected directory and choice of filename as a MP4.

I believe the Save As will only apply to the saved location and filename and does not apply or allow you to save to other video formats not best supported for PTE.

I really dont know how Igor is going to apply the "on the fly" conversion. I would think it will be a option within the video object features to allow PTE to optimize the imported video to best suit PTE performance.

*Heres attachments of a 1080 mp4 made with PTE and then that file converted to 100% setting with the tool. Notice the video and audio file properties differences applied to the converted file.

post-45-0-92171900-1312810444_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-35228800-1312810456_thumb.jpg

Stu,

I took a further look at it and found that, although the File Type Box contains nothing, I could "Save As" a different name (Trial.mp4) in a different folder by adding the file extension in the File Name Box.

I was looking for something in the File Type Box to do the file extension part.

Previously, I just named it Trial (without the extension) and Explorer interpreted it as a JPEG.

Problem solved!

Igor's last comment - That he will integrate it into the software when he returns - could be interpreted as meaning that he has an answer to the "on the fly" question?

DG

Dave,

Im quite sure its still work in progress ... since its the very first release.

The Save As works justs fine for me when testing video files of a MOV or MP4. The converter exports the file to my selected directory and choice of filename as a MP4.

I believe the Save As will only apply to the saved location and filename and does not apply or allow you to save to other video formats not best supported for PTE.

I really dont know how Igor is going to apply the "on the fly" conversion. I would think it will be a option within the video object features to allow PTE to optimize the imported video to best suit PTE performance.

*Heres attachments of a 1080 mp4 made with PTE and then that file converted to 100% setting with the tool. Notice the video and audio file properties differences applied to the converted file.