WnSoft Forums

Time Lapse

tom95521

I have recently experimented with time lapse photography and have learned a few things and still have many questions.

What I think I know so far.

3 fps capture and 30 fps playback = 10 x capture time (electronic shutter)

1 fps capture and 30 fps playback = 30 x capture time (mechanical shutter)

My intervalometer (JJC TM-D) has a maximum capture rate of 1 fps. To capture 60 seconds of video at 30 fps it requires 1800 images (+ wear on the mechanical shutter) and 30 minutes.

I am going to state the obvious when I say if you have a limited amount of time you might want to consider high speed video capture instead of time lapse. :)

My next attempt will be to capture 1080p video at normal speed and then select 1/N frames for time lapse. I think the 3 fps looks smoother but the miniature tilt-shift is something the camera adds and can not be completely removed.

My research now begins for a new camera with very wide fps range and 4K video capture. 240 fps capture at 1080p would be nice too.

Thanks,

Tom

My test video.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

When my wife finally agreed to go the bridge route, I was going to buy her the FZ200, however, the price had gone above what she got for her D40, so I bought the Fuji SL1000, which is now 2 years old technology but has a broader range of video speeds than the FZ150. I haven't tried it as I wasn't happy with the results from my FZ150, but could be an alternative, or the current Fuji which always seems to be better priced. BTW I remember Gary got on of these small cameras for clipping onto a cycling helmet, too early to remember the make. Alternatively, the one I mentioned in the original Birmingham thread, post 25.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I'm not sure I understand what you write.

For me

3 fps capture and 30 fps playback = is not 10 x capture time but capture time /10 You have an acceleration, as for your video in example.

With 1 fps capture, your movement is more accelerated.

In this way you can see - for example - the blossoming of flower in a few seconds, the movement of the clouds and the sun, or the stars by night... the racing of snails,

If your camera is able to take more then 30 fps, you'll then see a "slow motion", and for example

to see 300 fps capture and 30 fps playback will be really take 10xcapture time

You'll then be able to study the flight of the birds,

See the numerous example in "Slow motion" with Google

Dave's inovative use of Time Lapse in PTE is a valid technique and can't be done any other way.

However I would not like to buy a used camera from him!

I think that the same "effect" is possible by extracting frames from Video in an Image Editor. I thought perhaps someone having a suitable Image Editor would have explored that possibility by now?

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Dave's inovative use of Time Lapse in PTE is a valid technique and can't be done any other way.

However I would not like to buy a used camera from him!

I think that the same "effect" is possible by extracting frames from Video in an Image Editor. I thought perhaps someone having a suitable Image Editor would have explored that possibility by now?

DG

I don't think this suggestion would produce quality results suitable for insertion in a PTE show, if you pause normal video so that you see a single frame the picture has some blurring compared to what I get from using the "burst" facility on my FZ150.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-66024000-1405589204_thumb.jp post-5560-0-87416500-1405589217_thumb.jp post-5560-0-69658000-1405589231_thumb.jp

Picture B3 is most relevent.

I am going to try and answer the above comments in one message. :)

Eric. Yes there are better cameras than the FZ150 for time lapse. Electronic shutter video capture seems to be the easiest method. The recently available 4K video cameras might work great.

Jean-Cyprien. Yes. I need to be more accurate in my explanation of time.

Peter. My fault for not including normal speed in the video. The seagull sculpture is powered by a water pump and impeller at the bottom. It rotates at maybe 3 rpm. If I make a new video I will include normal speed too. Maybe I should use an analog clock for my test subject.

Dave. I will be attempting video frame extraction next. I think my FZ150 has an option to disable motion blur. If I extract only full video frames (I frames) I hope it will be sharp. I will try both ffmpeg and Corel x7.

Eric. Thanks for the info. I am still learning.

I thought I might be able to use PTE to playback full resolution images at 30 fps by decreasing default slide duration to 1/30 second and quick transition. Playback speed at 30 fps was not smooth and the file size was very large. Video frame extraction versus multiple image joining requires additional testing. Video frame extraction is definitely less wear on the shutter.

Thanks,

Tom

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - Albert Einstein

Hi Eric

I have deliberately built in blurring to the sequences to make give it a film like look and make the sequence run smoother. In the film industry this is called 'shutter angle'.

You can of course go for pin sharp images, if your looking for a more jerky action like look, which can be quite effective. In fact on the tilt and shift effects, dropping out frames of a film done in real time does give it a time lapse styles.

Its one of those things where its worth experimenting, to get something that you like the look of.

PS anyone want to buy a second hand Canon EOS 7D, one careful previous owner.

Having spent a few hours capturing and converting images I find that there is more to time lapse than meets the eye. :)

A camera that supports time lapse is a nice feature. If you want to create a UHD (4K) time lapse then image capture is currently the best method, shooting RAW, and using Lightroom. This will change when the newer 4K video cameras are affordable. For 1080 HD videos then video capture is much easier. Most video editors allow you to change the speed.

The main problem I have with image capture method is slow capture rate. My intervalometer maximum capture rate is 1 fps. My camera generates 9 MP 16:9 images and I doubt if it could capture more than 2 fps continuous.

Here is my latest video testing video and image capture.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Have you got the timer yet? Watched your video, I think something from a wider viewpoint would look better, not so close in, just my opinion.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Tom

Have you got the timer yet? Watched your video, I think something from a wider viewpoint would look better, not so close in, just my opinion.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Yes. The image capture towards the end of the video was using the intervalometer at 1 fps. I have not tried any of the other settings for long exposure at night, etc.

Wide angle would be better but the frequent overcast clouds we have around here during the summer are not very interesting. So far my favorite subjects are from the end of streets looking back at the traffic and cumulus clouds.

I just wanted to show the mechanics of the sculpture and how slow it normally rotates. The city maintenance worker cleans out the impeller pond about once a week and tops of the water level as needed. It runs 24/7 except for maintenance.

Thanks,

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but kinda hate to add another by the same name.

Can anyone think of a quick easy way to select every nthslide to make it easier to create time lapses videos?

Judy, you can do that with Photoshop. Import frames to layers. "File" "Import" "Video Frames to Layers"

Best regards,

Lin