WnSoft Forums

Strips - No Masks

davegee

It is nice to see Strips/Stripes making a come-back.

I resurrected this old project to see if I could make a Custom Transition or Style from it.

The Demo is in the ZIP and the basic Styles are also added. Please feel free to use them as the basis for further experiments.

Strips.zip

Strips 01 Horizontal.ptestyle

Strips 02 Horizontal.ptestyle

Just add a single image and apply either style. Animation not included.

DG

P.S. 16x9 Images in 16x9 Projects only - so far :)

Hi Dave,

Primarily I use 3:2 because all of my dSLR's except my Olympus 4:3 shoot as default in 3:2 aspect ratio and I don't like cropping. My consumer cameras almost all default to 4:3. If I'm doing portraits with my pro-body Nikon's I shoot in 5:4 so my clients don't have to crop for an 8x10 frame.  I think 5:4 is best for portraits and I like 3:2 for landscapes.

It's inconvenient, but I generally name my styles with aspect ratio included in the file name..

Best regards,

Lin

This is not an easy or simple question to answer. To some degree it almost goes back to the recent debate about how hard pressed professional photographers couldn't possibly spare the time to make a slide show at the resolution and aspect ratio that most of us are using,

What's the point of structuring slide styles and CT's to 10801620 when practically all of us use something different. It makes no sense to me at all. Anyone making slide shows who cannot be bothered to get these basics right, should stop making slide shows. Because if they cannot find the drive, enthusiasm and energy to really do a good job, then there is a better than average change their slide show will reflect the same approach. OK, but nothing special. Yes, I know we don't always succeed with our quest for something special, but at least  lets aim for it and not give up before we start because it may take take a little longer

Having said that, 16:9 in portrait format is not good, so if a slide style or a CT was structured for portrait format images, I would still base the style/CT on 16:9, but would perhaps use 3:2 portrait format images. However, that brings us back to what you suggested a long while back and I didn't have a view at the time, but do now. Slide Styles at least need some way to leave instruction notes for the user. Possible CT's too

The other thing I would say is that if you want to make your slide shows at a different AR to the majority, then create your own styles, structured for your use. If your making them with the intent of offering them to the wider community, then structure them at the size most are using. Isn't this all common sense

Thanks Barry,

I can't help thinking that you mis-read the question.

At present in V9 we have:

16x9 = 1920x1080

3x2 = 1920x1280

Would it not make more sense if they both had the same height instead of the same width??

It's OK - I can live with it.

DG

13 minutes ago, davegee said:

Would it not make more sense if they both had the same height instead of the same width??

I think I would rather the image fills the width of our screens, so for me, if push comes to shove, I guess I would go for 1920*1280

There is one point I could add. Unlike many who visit forums such as this, I am quite happy to admit when I don't know something or I am confused by it.

i am also willing to change my mind in the face of good argument and evidence. I am willing to be convinced and have no Ego problems that would prevent me from saying I had something wrong.

If you disagree, convince me of the merits. I am open to critical thinking and reason :D

Dave,

Just downloaded your initial demo and both "strips" slide styles.  I imported them into V9 Beta 5 and applied them to a single 1920 x 1080 slide one at a time.  Neither style appears to do anything to the image.  Just as a check, I applied a different style to the image and this works.  What am I missing?  I note that you state that the animation is not included.  Is this the key?

it is a Basic Style meaning that all i have done in both styles is the "hard work" of splitting the image into 20 horizontal Strips.

It appears that it does nothing until you look at the Objects Panel.

You can animate any or all of the Strips.

:)

DG