WnSoft Forums

Video - PTE versus a competitor

potwnc

In a few days I'll be making a lengthy post in the "suggestions" section, but first I'd like to solicit some opinion here. The attached image has the same screenshot (actual pixels, Adobe RGB color space) from identical 4K videos - one made with PTE v9, the other with a leading, professional Non-Linear Editing program. Full disclosure: I'm using a pretty high-end monitor (callibrated 4K BenQ SW27). If you're using a standard sRGB monitor the two versions of the screenshot may not look all that different to you, so if you comment that you can't tell the difference, please also include in the comment whether you're viewing on a wide-gamut monitor.

Which do you think looks better? In a few days I'll say which one is from which program. The 4K videos are 15 seconds and about 55MB, so I'll also make them available in a few days also if anyone is interested.

pte vs competitor.jpg

1 hour ago, potwnc said:

In a few days I'll be making a lengthy post in the "suggestions" section, but first I'd like to solicit some opinion here. The attached image has the same screenshot (actual pixels, Adobe RGB color space) from identical 4K videos - one made with PTE v9, the other with a leading, professional Non-Linear Editing program. Full disclosure: I'm using a pretty high-end monitor (callibrated 4K BenQ SW27). If you're using a standard sRGB monitor the two versions of the screenshot may not look all that different to you, so if you comment that you can't tell the difference, please also include in the comment whether you're viewing on a wide-gamut monitor.

Which do you think looks better? In a few days I'll say which one is from which program. The 4K videos are 15 seconds and about 55MB, so I'll also make them available in a few days also if anyone is interested.

Greetings,

At first, I liked the image on the right. Mostly because, I think, it was 'brighter'. But, on more inspection, it seems to be a bit over-exposed (such as indicated on the white pole). The jacket on the left seems a tad bit sharper.

Now sure what to tell you about my monitor, but it is a Dell P2715Q, and using the color profile sRGB IEC 61966-2.1, and 'Standard dynamic range', if that helps.

Gary

Tom,

I need to check all files to exactly determine a reason of this difference.

Please send me both 4K videos (created in PTE 9 and another video editor). And original photo (the man) which was used to create both 4K videos.

Essentially, the difference is with expressed dynamic range. The "levels" adjustment could be used to make them virtually identical. The perceived sharpness differences are due to greater contrast on the image on the left. The image on the right has slightly higher saturation, especially in the blues perhaps due to the level's difference. Both are well within the range of normal and they could be made to look identical with existing PTE controls IMHO.

Best regards,

Lin 

• 2 weeks later...

Less interest than I expected in this topic. So, to close it, the screenshot on the left is from a video created in Vegas Pro 15. The original image was shot on a Nikon D800 in Adobe RGB. The video was rendered to DCI-P3 and I had my monitor in (callibrated) Adobe RGB mode. So, obviously, the screenshot on the right is from the video created in PTE 9. I don't know what color space it renders mp4 video to - I would guess either sRGB or REC 709.

Tom,

Currently PTE doesn't support video output to DCI-P3 color space.

However PTE 9 supports color profiles in JPEG images (Adobe RGB, DCI-P3, etc) and correct output for preview and EXE shows on wide-gamut displays (Adobe RGB).