WnSoft Forums

Exporting a Frame From a Video

Tejano Bob

I think I already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Is it possible to to open a video in Studio 10, play it and stop it on a particular frame, then export that frame as a jpeg? I think I probably need a different program to do this, but why buy another program if Studio 10, which I already have, can do it?

Good morning

It seems you are looking for a "screen capture" tool.  If you have a high definition screen (lots of pixels), you'll get a decent (still) picture.

If your're running MS/Windows10, here what I have found (for instance):

<<Windows 10 is the first Windows version to have a built-in screenshot feature. Users on older versions had to rely on the Snipping tool which wasn’t very convenient to use. This missing feature was compensated for via third-party apps. Windows 10, at present, has a very basic screenshot feature. If you tap Win+PrntScr, Windows 10 will capture your entire screen. If you compare it with macOS, the feature is still lacking. With the current feature, you cannot screenshot a specific area on your screen. Come the Creators Update in April, things will change slightly. Windows 10 will be able to screenshot a specific area on your screen with no extra apps involved.

This new feature is available on the Windows 10 Insider builds. To capture a screenshot of a specific area on your screen, tap Win+Shift+S.

This will add a white translucent mask to your screen. The cursor will change from the pointer arrow to a cross-hair.>>

<<Despite this new feature, Windows 10 still lags behind macOS. macOS lets you capture a screenshot of a specific area, any window, or the entire screen. It captures HD screenshots with no extra apps needed and macOS has had this feature for over a decade.>>

Hi Bob

You could take a screen shot or print screen. Not sure if you have a "Print Screen" key on your keyboard, or "Screen Shot"? On my keyboard it's after the F keys along the top row of keys. If you have, run the show to where you want the screen shot, pause it, make sure you haven't caught it between frames & it isn't blurred. Press the Print Screen key. That saves the frame on your PC/ Laptop. I use Photoshop Elements to edit my pictures, so the next action depends on what you use. I open my editing programme, click on file, new. blank file, that puts a blank image on the editor screen, Next click on edit, then paste & the screen shot should be overlaid on the blank file. Make any adjustments you want to it, I usually use the "Enhance" feature. Then save it to the folder you have your shows files in. Make sure you save it as a JPEG.

Sounds like a lot, but it only takes a minute when you actually do it.

Keep Safe 

Rosy.

Hi Rosy

In actual facts, I have also been using the "Print Screen" key on my keyboard for quite a while, and it takes a copy of the full screen.

Comining the <ALT> or <ALT GR> key with the <Print Screen> key, I get a shot of the selected (active) window on my screen.

Since I have DropBox active on my computer, the files are automatically saved as PNG files on my Dropbox folder (subfolder: screen capture).

Greetings,

Here is a screen capture program that I have been using for a long time. You can download the English version (as opposed to the original German language version). Look at the far right of the site to download it in English. (Free)

https://www.infonautics.ch/screencaptureprint/indexde.htm

Opppsss... here is the English version site...

https://www.infonautics.ch/screencaptureprint/

Gary

It looks like the short answer is "No," but I appreciate all the additional information. I guess my question was a sneaky way of asking this forum to help me evaluate a program I'm trying. It wasn't intended to be, but I guess it was. I already have a print screen program that I've used for years called "Print Screen Deluxe " by American Systems. The program I'm evaluating is Premier Essentials 2021. It looks interesting, and does a very slick job of extracting a jpeg from a video, but it doesn't look like it can do many of the things Studio 10 will do, and was never considered as a replacement of Studio 10, just as another tool. While I still miss a couple of features of ProShow Producer, I've been very satisfied with Studio 10.

The <Print Screen> key works fine with me.

Maybe you want to extract a single image from any video recording?

If you have the Adobe Lightroom software, you can easily use the "capture frame" feature within the Library module.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/video-lightroom.html
"To create a JPEG still image from the current frame, click the Frame button  and choose Capture Frame."

Use VLC Player - it is free & can save a screengrab from the video as a jpg.

The 'hardest' part is making sure you pause the video at the correct place to capture what you want.
It will capture at the video resolution.

But also very easy in PTE, run it in fullscreen, pause playback at the point you want & if using Windows 10 just hit Windows Key +Shift+S

You can then grab the whole screen, or part of it & then save to your chosen folder.

No need for extra software.

But you do need the screen resolution you are playing back on to be high

Jill

• 2 years later...