WnSoft Forums

Adding Text in a Video (SOLVED...good idea)

goddi

Greetings,

I've edited a long video (25 minutes). I am trying to add many text in this video clip. Once I reach the point where I want to add the text, I click on Text. But the keyframe shows up at the beginning of the video. Then when I drag that keyframe back to the point where I want the text to be added, the vertical red line disappears and I've lost that exact point in the video clip.

Ok...then I drag that text keyframe back to the spot where I originally had tried to add the text. But then I have to add the initial 0% opacity keyframe in front; then the next keyframe to 0%, all to the left of my initial text keyframe. Then add the final 0% opacity keyframe

This is tedious and difficult, especially when you have many texts that you want to insert. And getting the timing between all these keyframes is next to impossible since they are so tight. And trying to not have the text slowly appear...then slowly disappear. Just very hard to control the time on the screen.

Is there an easier method?  Is it possible to make a 'macro' that will allow the insertion of text at any point within a video clip that provides all of the required keyframes at the exact point where you positioned the vertical red line in the video clip? And, with the ability to adjust the time the text stays on the screen, easily?

Gary

Split your video clip & have Master & Linked video on seperate slides.

If your first text is to appear at say 5 mins

In Timeline position your cursor at 5 mins
Right click & add a blank slide
In O&A for the first slide set the video to be Master
On the 2nd - Blank Slide you have just added, add the same video clip but set it to Linked.

Make sure the transition to this slide is a cut ie 0 secs
You can now add your Text to this slide & it will appear as soon as that slide does

Depending on how long you want the Text to stay on screen set the duration of this slide to the length you need or add keyframes to make the Text fade out.

Add another Blank Slide & again add the video as Linked & let it run until you need more Text

Repeat the above as needed.

The Video will play continuously & the Text will appear as you need it

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Trying to understand your steps. But, what do you mean by 'split your video clip & have Master and linked video on separate slides.'

I have one continuous video that has been edited. There are no slides. Do you mean to split the video at each point where I want to add text?

Gary

4 hours ago, jkb said:

Split your video clip & have Master & Linked video on seperate slides.

If your first text is to appear at say 5 mins

In Timeline position your cursor at 5 mins
Right click & add a blank slide
In O&A for the first slide set the video to be Master
On the 2nd - Blank Slide you have just added, add the same video clip but set it to Linked.

Make sure the transition to this slide is a cut ie 0 secs
You can now add your Text to this slide & it will appear as soon as that slide does

Depending on how long you want the Text to stay on screen set the duration of this slide to the length you need or add keyframes to make the Text fade out.

Add another Blank Slide & again add the video as Linked & let it run until you need more Text

Repeat the above as needed.

The Video will play continuously & the Text will appear as you need it

Jill

Sorry Jill, that sounds more laborious than the way I do it now. Maybe Igor needs to do some work on adding text / objects/ comments to video clips? There should be an easier way?:wacko: What about something along the lines of adding all the text / comments you need to individual blank slides in the slide list, with 0 opacity backgrounds, then add them in as & when needed as the clip proceeds? 

Rosy.

6 hours ago, rosy said:

Sorry Jill, that sounds more laborious than the way I do it now. Maybe Igor needs to do some work on adding text / objects/ comments to video clips? There should be an easier way?:wacko: What about something along the lines of adding all the text / comments you need to individual blank slides in the slide list, with 0 opacity backgrounds, then add them in as & when needed as the clip proceeds? 

Rosy.

Rosy, that is exactly what I have said to do.

You can add your text slides first if you wish, then simply add the video afterwards as a Master and Linked clips.

As Davegee says look at the help and try it. It really is quite easy to do.

Jill

Greetings All,

These steps are so 'inside baseball' that I don't think the ordinary user (like me) would even attempt them. None of the links mentioned above even mention 'text'. I'd need a video to explain how to do it. There has to be a better way. When you have a 30 minute video, and you have to split it up just to be able to add text...that is not intuitive. I went through hours to edit down an almost 2 hours of video and now I am supposed to split it into parts just to add text? I am sure these steps are easy if you understand them, but I still don't get it. Adding text to a single slide is an understandable process. But when you have a video clip, you still have to add 4 keyframes for each text. So the splitting up the video into many manageable chucks just so keyframes are further apart just to add text is not something that makes sense.

What we need, maybe, is another track where we can just place a text object at any point along the track, and give parameters on its length to appear/disappear, pretty much like the audio track.

Gary

22 minutes ago, goddi said:

What we need, maybe, is another track where we can just place a text object at any point along the track, and give parameters on its length to appear/disappear, pretty much like the audio track.

Gary

Please wait for Version 11 and your prayers might be answered? 

DG

1 hour ago, denisb said:

May be you can use time range for the text and type the good time you need

Greetings,

Ok...I gave it a try. In O&A, I entered a Text object. I highlighted it. I typed in the 'Time Range' box the time (5:41.456) where I wanted the Text to appear. I see that it does not like to use the '5:41.456'. It seems to want a whole number. How do I convert the '5:41.456' to a whole number? And, then what?

So then I tried another 'Text'. I set the Time Range to '1932232-2232232' just as a test to see what would happen. I used these numbers because the actual time in the Timeline that I wanted was '19:32.232-22:32.232'.

However, this 'Text' actually showed up at '32:12.891-37:12.941' (hard to be exact), according to the time marker when played on the Timeline, not '19:32.232-22:32.232', as I had hoped.

I looked through the Help guide but could not find how to interpret these 'Time' numbers.

So it seems it can work, but I am not clear on how to actually convert the time shown in the Timeline to what is needed in the Time Range. Yes, the fade in/out seems not to be something that can be done, but getting to a more usable function.

Gary

image.png.7077579ba55a212503971516ee0c9587.png

Greetings,

Found something interesting that I have not noticed before. Even though I don't yet understand the difference in what I put in the Time Range boxes vs. what the time shows in the Timeline view, I see that the Time Range that I set shows up as a faint block in the Timeline.

Gary

LionTest.thumb.jpg.c62596fb9d36e9b9092b6770e05cb070.jpg

5 hours ago, davegee said:

Time Range:

1932232=1932.232 seconds=32 minutes 12.232 seconds

DG

Greetings Dave...

I see now.  First, I create a Text. Then I move the red vertical cursor to the point where I want the Text to show up. The time point is 36:27.710. I multiply the 36x60 and add 27. That comes to 2,187 but I have to add 3 '0' that brings it to 2187000. (I ignore the .710 until I want to really be more precise).

I do the same for when I want to make the Text to disappear which is at 36:37.173. That converts to 2197000. This gets you close and you can tweak the settings later to get them more precise.

What would be an improvement is to be able to copy/paste the times indicated in the Timeline (at the vertical red line) and paste them into the Time Range blocks. Having to do the math is OK but why should we have to?

Also, it would be an improvement if, when highlighting the numbers in the Time Range blocks, we could increase/reduce the times faster than having to go through the milliseconds, using the up/down arrows.

Thanks....denisb and Dave...

Learn something every day...great discovery on how to put in text into a long video, a bit more easily. Maybe we can figure out how to fade them in/out.

Gary

• goddi changed the title to Adding Text in a Video (SOLVED...good idea)