WnSoft Forums

Setting Graphical Editor-Photoshop

goddi

Gary, even in DaVinci you still need to work out where your cut point is by playing the video. You do exactly the same in PTE.

Play the video in slide 1 to find the point you want to end it. Put the play head at that point.

Drag and drop the video to that point to create slide 2.

Then drag the play head over slide 2 to find the start point for your next section.

It really is quick and easy.

If you find the need to adjust the timings slightly, then do that in O&A adjust times. You do know that you can resize that window to make it wider to find the points more easily.

I sometimes drag it right across both monitors to get a wider view.

You don't end up with lots of separate clips as you still have to render (publish) the final output to a single video, just as you have to in DaVinci.

But I find that PTE seems to be slightly faster at rendering than DaVinci.

You can always make a separate project to edit the video down first and then add the final edit to your main project.

Don't know how you missed the trim beginning of video as that has been available for a long time.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

I was having a little trouble at first when I was trying it out because I was using a video where a street band was playing. So that was not a good way to really try it out for the first time. But I could see the process. I've searched for 'Trim Video' in the Help and now I do see a link to 'Trim Beginning of Video' in the 'Timeline View' section.

I think 'Trim Beginning of Video' would be better placed, or also placed, in the 'Adding Video' section with a better explanation, as you gave. In the 'Adding Video' section, it shows 'Convert/Trim Video' and 'Adjust Time Range' so I thought those were the only way to trim video.

I've been using PTE for many years so this is a great find for me! Sometimes you have to already know what you are looking for before you start looking!

Thanks...Gary

Found in 'Timeline View' section:

image.thumb.png.f9d51d745ed77393b0b430df56fbc82e.png

1 hour ago, jkb said:

Gary, to be honest I have never looked at the Help Files.

If you always look at what Igor posts in the Forum when a new version is released, then you will keep up to date with the changes.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Yes, I see it was introduced with V.10. But here, below, is what it said. This or the Help does not explain how to use it as you had described. To me, this would be only to trim a beginning portion of the video clip. I was not so smart to figure out how to use it as you indicated how to use it. This is why I submit that the Help should be expanded to show your method of using this function to edit video clips. This would be a great subject for Barry to put together an instructional video.:D

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees....:blink:

Gary

image.png.9d95d1d197a9420f5e4aab2299652d9b.png

23 hours ago, goddi said:

Greetings Rosy,

Please tell me how you can edit out sections within the video. From what I see is you can only trim the beginning and/or the end of the clip.

For example, I have digitized HI8 tapes which could be an hour or so in length. I want to edit out sections of the video file. I don't want to have to cut it up into chunks and then reassemble them. If I can cut out sections of the long video file and retain it as one file, please let me know. I just don't see how.

Lately, I have been using DaVinci Resolve Free which does a good job. It would be nice if I could do it in PTE. How?

Thanks... Gary

ScreenCaptureImage-20220315-184813.thumb.jpg.f259300d806ed17414ce6940988976e9.jpg

Hi Gary

"If I can cut out sections of the long video file and retain it as one file, please let me know. I just don't see how."

Im sure you know what to do, As you describe, you can cut out the sections you want to retain without damaging the original. As I said, on a 1 hour clip it is laborious cutting out the sections you want to keep, then adding them to the show in the order you want. The original 1 hour video is always retained in its original length. BTW I always try to restrict my original videos to 30 seconds, one minute at the most, moving my shooting position after each one. Alternatively, speeding them up. I would think a 1 hour video from one spot would soon bore people to death.

Rosy.

Greetings Rosy,

When I was talking about 1 hour videos, these are videos that I digitized from old Hi8  and VCR tapes. These are long videos but made up of lots of starts and stops. But still one long video that needs to be edited. It is just a pain to have to name all the clips you have cut out and keep track of them, if you do have to chop up a very long video.

Yea, I've learned to take short clips with my DSLR and GoPro. Shorter clips makes life easier. Jill's method is kinda cool, too.

Gary

Greetings,

Ok...I'd like to get back to my original problem with a little different testing results. When I do an 'Open with' on certain jpgs on my D:\, Photoshop will open and then close immediately. This presents a problem when I'm in PTE and do an 'Edit file'. PS will open but immediately close. I have tried everything I can think of but still have no idea what is going on. I've even tried an Adobe tech person but since my PS is old, they don't have any idea. So one thing I've tried is to just rename the files, as a test.

I copied/pasted one of the jpgs to my Desktop and renamed it, 3 times. The files below circled in blue were renamed. When I do an 'Open with' on the renamed files, PS will open.

However, when I do an 'Open with' on the original name, PS will open and then immediately close. This will happen on any of the 400 images I have in the folder. I've copied/pasted these 4 jpgs to other drives, same problem.

I'd appreciate any ideas on what the problem might be. Just does not make any sense. Same file, just renamed, and they open.

But here is the real kicker... These files that open are on my Desktop. If I copy/paste these three renamed jpgs (that open on my Desktop) to the D:\, they will not open when I do the 'Open with'. If I have PS already opened, they all open as expected.

And they all will open in a regular file viewer. But then the original jpg (circled in red) will not open on any drive using 'Open with'. Nothing makes sense. I've got hundreds of other jpgs that were process the exact same way in the D:\ that do not exhibit this problem.

Can it be something with the D:\ (it is a separate physical hard drive)? I am at a loss of what to try next...

Another person tried this jpg on their PC and had the same problem. And...I tried it on my wife's PC. Same problem. However, when I rename the file to 1.jpg (on her Desktop or mine), the file will open in PS using the 'Open with'.

But if I put the same 1.jpg on my D:\, PS will still will not open it with 'Open with', but it will open when copied to my Desktop.

So...is it a corrupted image or D:\ ? How could I tell or fix it? Why would filenames or location of the file make a difference?

Gary

Files.thumb.jpg.8574c83c55ef9dd9f09be0ede96fd5aa.jpg

Greetings,

I found a way to solve the problem of PS CS5 not being able to open certain jpgs on the Desktop when using 'Open with', which now also allows me to use the 'File Edit' while in PTE.

Originally, I had used FastStone Photo Resizer to rename the images I got out of the camera. I just renamed all of these images that would not open in PS, using FastStone, only changing the 'Q' and 'G' letters to lower case.

So...for example, 'SA-QuitoGalap-001.jpg' became SA-quitogalap-001.jpg'. Did this to almost 400 images.
All the images will now open in PS using the 'Open with'.
I now know how to fix the problem but I still wonder what the heck is causing the problem using the Q and G in caps. Is it Windows? Is it PS CS5?

And, I just took an old jpg (not process with FastStone) and renamed it with the name (SA-QuitoGalap-001.jpg) that previously would not open in PS using 'Open with'. And it also would not open in PS. So it is not a 'corrupted' file causing the problem. I've got over 3500 other images that were processed the same way that don't exhibit the problem.

Seems it has to do with file naming convention, but I don't think there is any problem with how they have been named.

But then, PS CS5 will open either named files directly using File/Open. So.....is it Windows 10???

Makes no sense...what do you think? Windows? PS CS5?
Gary

1 minute ago, Barry Beckham said:

Gary

I think you secretly like these issues, where you can don your Sherlock Holmes disguise and find a solution. :D  I admire that determination - I won’t let this beat me.

Greetings Barry,

You may be right. But I usually find that it only takes finding which is the right key to press or the right sequence. If you don't  press on, you'll never find the solution and there usually is a solution or a workaround. By keeping at it, I found a 'work around' so I can still use these 400 images by just changing two cap letters to lower case. Who'd come up with that? No rhyme or reason for that to work. When 3,500 other images, processed the same way, did not have this problem, there has to be a reason. But even the Adobe tech person was stumped. When I used to work for the government, I'd ask our 'software support people' how to do certain things. They never could figure it out. But I persisted and figured it out myself. Yea, it's a burden I have to bear...something like a dog with a bone...grrrrrrr :D.

But it did have something to do with PTE and being able to use its 'Edit file', which is a handy tool.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:01 AM, Barry Beckham said:

Well, I admire your tenacity, whenever I’ve tried to take that path I usually end up head butting the wall. 

Greetings,

Well, we finally sort of got to the bottom of this problem.

Check out this link...

Gary