WnSoft Forums

Setting Graphical Editor-Photoshop

goddi

Greetings,

I can open my Photoshop CS5 and open a file, no problem.

However, if I try to 'Edit File' of an image in the Slide View ('Set Graphical Editor' is set for Photoshop), Photoshop will open but then immediately close.

I seem to remember having this problem a long time ago and it was fixed. But I can not remember what the fix was. I've searched the Forum but can't find it. Google has many 'fixes' but this seems to be more involved with PTE since it works normally outside of PTE.

Any ideas?  Gary

ADDED LATER: I just tried to 'Edit File' in other projects but I did not have this problem. Photoshop opened correctly.

It is only happening in this recent project.

But, I just tried to do an 'Open with' Photoshop of  the images in this new project while in File Manager, and the same problem happened.

So is it in the file itself?

I've attached one of the images from this project that exhibits the problem.

And...I put this image in another project. All of the other images would open in PS, but this image would not....can it be an attribute in all these images that is causing the problem???

SA-QuitoGalap-057.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings...

Ok...I'm at my wits end... can't figure out what is going on. Let me ask again...

I have a folder with about 800 images. If I try to use 'Edit File' of an image listed in PTE ('Set Graphical Editor' is set for Photoshop), Photoshop will open but then immediately close. 

If I try to open the image in Photoshop by right-click on the image on my Desktop and select 'Open with', Photoshop will open but then immediately close.

However, if I first have Photoshop opened and then try to open the same file with right-click on the image on my Desktop and select 'Open with', the image will open in Photoshop.

I have compared the Properties of images that work and images that don't work, and I don't see any differences.

I have Googled to find an answer but can not. These images do open in all my other photo programs.

What can be going on with my PS CS5 that might be causing this problem?

I put the same image on my wife's PC...same problem.

Thanks... Gary

1 minute ago, jkb said:

Hi Gary, it might help if we knew the properties of this image.

Without that it is difficult to suggest what the problem may be.

Jill

Greetings,

I am using Win 10 and PS CS5.

This is the original image, but too large to attach. But the one above exhibits the same problem.

image.png.468e9aeacfbd4f832718c1bb85a41f4d.png

Gary

1 minute ago, Barry Beckham said:

Gary.

CS5 is now 12 years old and I wonder if the OS has evolved to a point where maybe you’ll see more issues like this, even if you do find a workaround for this current one. 

Yea, it is an oldie but a goody. I just hate the subscription model. Been working just fine so far for the limited things I do with it. But when I tried to do an 'Edit File' in PTE recently, I discovered the problem. I've posted it in the Adobe Forum. Maybe I will get an answer. Very strange.

Gary

Gary

What is it about the subscription model that you hate. The price, the ongoing nature of the subscription, downloads and updates? I can understand that if your not using very much of PS, then it may appear a bit wasteful to upgrade, so in that scenario, perhaps JT49 has a point. I don’t see the issues you’re describing getting any better from here, do you?

What parts of PS CS5 are you using?

Greetings Barry and Jill,

I usually just use Levels and Unsharp Mask. Maybe Rotate. Crop. I keep it simple. I can do most of my final composition in PTE.

CS5 does all I need to do. This problem affects me more in PTE when I want to do a File Edit of an image with PS. Makes it simple and quick without having to be out/in of PTE.

But I just sent a sample file to a computer club person and he had the same problem with the sample image. He contacted a person in Adobe he knows and I'll see if she will be able to figure out the problem. It must be corrupted images. It happens on my PC, my wife's PC and his PC. Stay tuned. I'll let you know what happens.

Jill, yes I do have Affinity Photo. It opens the image with no problem. I'd just like to get PS to work.

Gary

I am still using CS3 on my laptop (Windows 7) & CS4 on my desktop (Windows 10), although I actually prefer CS3.

It does everything I need it to.

Yes it may be slightly more long winded to do things that could be done in a couple of clicks in the latest version.
But for the amount I use Photoshop it isn't worth me paying for it.

I mostly use it for the final resizing of images for my AV's & maybe a bit of clonng or cutting out for creating .png images.
I no longer produce Single images as everything I do is for AV.

I have affinity photo on my laptop but never actually got round to using it and haven't even got round to loading it on the desktop

Gary could it be down to the colour space your image has?

I have never seen a YUV file, I always work in sRGB throughout.

Jill

21 minutes ago, alantha said:

Not sure if this is pertinent, but when I copy the image and save it, I see that the file name has extra fullstops in it. If I rename the file without the extra fullstops I can open it with Photoshop. Just a thought! Alan

Greetings Alantha!!!!

I was not sure what you meant by 'fullstops'. The filename is 'SA-QuitoGalap-057.jpg'. If I take out the two '-', PS will now open the file using the 'Open with' if the file is on the Desktop.

If I shorten the filename by taking out two letters so the filename is 'S-uitoGalap-057.jpg', the file will also open with 'Open with' if the file is on the Desktop.

So it was not the two '-' that I thought you were referring to. But it seems to be the length of the filename. But I thought the max length was 250 characters.

But, then, I tried 'S-uitoGalap-057-edited.jpg', being a longer filename with the removed two letters, it still opened, with the file on the Desktop. Weird!!!!

So the problem seems to be in the filename...But...

But....now here is the real head scratcher, if I edit the filename of the file that is on the Desktop and it then opens with the 'Open with', and then copy/paste it into a folder, the same file will not open with 'Open with'. Same filename, in two different locations, different results.

Getting close but still not sure what is going on.:blink:

Thanks... Gary

Greetings...more testing:

I renamed the 'SA-QuitoGalap-001.jpg' file to 'SA1.jpg'. So the length or dashes would not be a factor.

When I try to open 'SA1.jpg' in a folder in the D:\ using 'Open width', it will not open in PS.
When I try to open 'SA1.jpg' in the Desktop using 'Open width', it will open in PS.

If I copy/paste the 'SA1.jpg' to another physical harddrive, E:\, using 'Open width', it will open.
If I copy/paste the 'SA-QuitoGalap-001.jpg' (which is the same file as the 'SA1.jpg', only renamed) to the E:\, it will not open.
Same file, but different names, same folder, one opens, one does not.

In the E:\ drive, with this same file, I started renaming the file, starting with SA1.jpg, which opened.
I renamed it each time adding a character. It kept opening up to 'SA-Qui1.jpg'. When I added the 't' to get 'SA-Quit1.jpg', it stopped opening.

Then, if I copy/paste the 'SA-Qui1.jpg' to the D:\ drive (that opened in the E:\), it will not open. So it opens in the E:\ but not in the D:\.

I have no clue what the heck this means. Size does not matter, dashes don't matter.
Gary

On 3/14/2022 at 1:07 AM, goddi said:

Greetings Barry and Jill,

I usually just use Levels and Unsharp Mask. Maybe Rotate. Crop.

You can do all these operations with PTE.

You don't need a graphic editor for that.

Use Animation - Color Correction - Add Filter

Select the filter you need:

- Levels
- Brightness / Contrast
- Hue / Saturation
- Toning
- Coloration
- Negative

And there is an incredibly powerful and comprehensive program that is underappreciated: WnSoft PixBuilder Studio.

Free to download https://www.wnsoft.com/en/pixbuilder/

It works perfect with PTE AV Studio. Why does it always have to be Photoshop? If you don't use many functions of it, you pay an exorbitant price for it. I got to know WnSoft PixBuilder Studio by making a translation for it in Dutch. But there is also a User Guide in English, Français, Italiano

Why PixBuilder Studio?

Fast and stable work with high resolution images.

Support of layers.

Portable and Standard versions.

Quick start and low memory requirements.

Multi language interface.

Multi step undo.

Customizable key shortcuts.

It's absolutely free.

Main Features

Image resizing, rotating, and crop function.

Brightness/Contrast, Color balance, Levels, Hue/Saturation, and Color fill.

Auto Contrast and Auto Levels.

Built-in high quality effects: blur effects, sharpen effects, dithering, and more. Flexible selection management functions, such as transparency masks, magic wand, different lasso tools, single column selection, color range function, and the gradient color transition effect that gives you the ability to draw complex raster shapes and apply effects for complex areas.

Layers concept makes your work more effective and efficient.

Text layers with drop shadow.

A full set of brush-based tools, such as the stamp tool, healing brush, replace color tool, and others.

Built-in shapes drawing tools (rectangles, circles, and lines).

Free transform and Selection transform.

Save with preview.

Support of image scanners.

System Requirements Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP. (32-bit and 64-bit).

CPU 1.4GHz. 512MB of system memory.

Supported File Formats

For read: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PCX, PSD, TGA, ICO, PBS

For write: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PCX, TGA, ICO, PBS

It's a shame WnSoft should integrate it more into PTE AV Studio.

Kind regards,

Cor

7 hours ago, Tonton Bruno said:

You can do all these operations with PTE.

You don't need a graphic editr for that.

Use Animation - Color Correction - Add Filter

Select the filter you need:

- Levels
- Brightness / Contrast
- Hue / Saturation
- Toning
- Coloration
- Negative

Greetings Tonton and Cor,

Since I am still using the old Photoshop CS5, it does not cost me anything. Tonton, I assume you are talking about Pixbuilder and I will give it a try. But I have Adobe plug-ins and Actions in Photoshop that I like to use. Not sure if I can integrate them into PixBuilder. But good to know, just never tried it.

I tried to open the images using 'Open with' and PixBuilder and they all opened up in PixBuilder, whether they are on my Desktop or in folder in another drive.

Very strange thing going on with Photoshop.

Gary

No, what Tonton is talking about is with PTE AV Studio!

PixBuilder Studio does support .8BF Photoshop-compatible plug-ins, so you can easily add additional features.

The ability to work with .8BF plug-ins will knock this software up a notch for sure.

And it is powerful in it's own right.

Try it!

2 hours ago, CorVdK said:

No, what Tonton is talking about is with PTE AV Studio!

PixBuilder Studio does support .8BF Photoshop-compatible plug-ins, so you can easily add additional features.

The ability to work with .8BF plug-ins will knock this software up a notch for sure.

And it is powerful in it's own right.

Try it!

Yes, but, say for Levels, you don't get a graph. You are only guessing. Unsharp Mask??? Yes, PTE is fantastic!!! But you still need to go out of PTE for some things, like for video editing. You can not edit out segments within the video clip. What it does is incredible...but...

I'll try to get the Plug-in into Pixbuilder.

Thanks....

Gary

Greetings Tonton,

Why would you say that? No, I do not ignore them. I always use Aspect Crop, Borders, Zoom, Pan, Framing, Image Crop etc., that keep me out of PS. But how things like Levels and Brightness/Contrast, etc., are implemented in PTE are not as easy to use as if you can do in PS. For those who are not using PS, I can understand their dismissal of the program. But once you are using a tool successfully for certain things, it is hard to switch.

Also, Rotate will not work in Framing, without using Masks. So there are limits. Blur...I have not used, but I know it is there. The other filters are not ones you'd use day-to-day.

In PTE, with video, you can trim the beginning and end of clips. But you can not edit out segments within the clip. You have to trim out segments clip by clip and then put them back together. Using programs like the DaVinci Resolve Free, for example, it lets you do that and keep it as one file.

Like I said, PTE is a fantastic program and it is my favorite...but it does not do everything. Getting back to my original issue, I can not use 'Set Graphical Editor' for Photoshop because I am having some strange issue with the images. It's not PTE's fault. Something weird is going on with my PC or Windows or PS. Just can not pin it down yet.

My French is zero...but I follow most of what you are doing in the video. But these filters are more specialize functions.

Thanks... Gary

6 hours ago, goddi said:

Yes, but, say for Levels, you don't get a graph. You are only guessing. Unsharp Mask??? Yes, PTE is fantastic!!! But you still need to go out of PTE for some things, like for video editing. You can not edit out segments within the video clip. What it does is incredible...but...

I'll try to get the Plug-in into Pixbuilder.

Thanks....

Gary

Hi Gary Must disagree with you there, most of my shows contain video & I always cut out the bits I don't want using PTE. It's a bit laborious but it can be done. I have a copy of  Adobe Premier Elements which I bought especially to edit video, but never use it as I found I could edit easier in PTE.

Rosy.

14 minutes ago, rosy said:

Hi Gary Must disagree with you there, most of my shows contain video & I always cut out the bits I don't want using PTE. It's a bit laborious but it can be done. I have a copy of  Adobe Premier Elements which I bought especially to edit video, but never use it as I found I could edit easier in PTE.

Rosy.

Greetings Rosy,

Please tell me how you can edit out sections within the video. From what I see is you can only trim the beginning and/or the end of the clip.

For example, I have digitized HI8 tapes which could be an hour or so in length. I want to edit out sections of the video file. I don't want to have to cut it up into chunks and then reassemble them. If I can cut out sections of the long video file and retain it as one file, please let me know. I just don't see how.

Lately, I have been using DaVinci Resolve Free which does a good job. It would be nice if I could do it in PTE. How?

Thanks... Gary

ScreenCaptureImage-20220315-184813.thumb.jpg.f259300d806ed17414ce6940988976e9.jpg

Add your video to slide 1

Add the same video to Slide 2

In Timeline View Move Slide 2 to the point you want the video to end in slide 1.
Move the play head to the point you want Slide 2 Video to start.
Right click & select Trim beginning of Video

Repeat until you have the all the bits you want.
Add a short blank at the end if you need to trim the last part, or in O&A Adjust Time to trim the end

Publish as an MP4 - or simply add any other video or still images as required before publishing your final show

Easy

Yes you can do it in Resolve, but you still have to render the final output after you have cut it to then use in PTE.

I have edited a lot of Video in PTE without problems, I also use Resolve but usually only when I have a multi camera shoot & I need to sync up the cameras.

Everything else can be done in PTE & usually a lot quicker than in Resolve.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Thanks for the reply. I gave it a try. I see how it works. I had never noticed the 'Trim Beginning of Video' function before. No one has mentioned it before, that I know of.

I see it is an interesting way to edit a video in PTE. I'm not too keen on the process, though. You wind up with multiple clips, instead of one clip where you have edited out the unwanted sections, which is the 'normal' way. It is also a bit difficult to know where the next trim point should be in relation to the ending of the previous clip. Kinda unconventional way of doing it, I think. I need to play around with it more. Guess it depends on the type of video.

I just can't get over that no one has mentioned this method before. But thanks for the education. When you have a long video, like an hour or so, I think the DaVinci method would work better. For shorter clips, and clips where you can more easily define where it is more obvious where you want to trim the clip, your method seems to be a good one.

Thanks... Gary