WnSoft Forums

Moiree-effect in PTE 10

Politer

I need your advice.

Since I own a new camera (Full frame 3:2) I have problems wth some slides . After RAW-processing and JPEG-export with full size (eg. 5588 x 3718 px) , I experience Moiree-effects in PTE-only . All other Software-products (as Windows FOTO) don't show this effect . The problem will go away in PTE after resizing the slides to eg. 1920 x 1080 px before using them in PTE .

Is there an explanation and how can I avoid the problem  - I prefer not to resize the slides before usage in PTE .

Thanks for your help - Paul

Hi,

Do you mean moire on static images? Or moire during animated image? Zooming, rotating, etc.

Usually moire effect appears on pictures with high contrast details during animations.

If you observe a moire, adjust "Sharper/smoother" option in the Properties tab to "0" or even "100". Picture will be a bit softer and it completely eliminates the moire effect. 

Hi,

Moiré / aliasing is a phenomenon inherent in the digitization of the image, and can be seen for example on a tiled roof (with a repetitive pattern).

To remedy this effect, the manufacturers put in front of the sensor, and associated with the infrared filter, an anti-aliasing filter which causes a small blur and thus eliminates moiré/aliasing. But of course, this is at the (slight) detriment of image quality.

Except error on my part, Nikon had made two versions of its D800 model. A classic model with an anti-aliasing filter, and a special D800E model without this filter. The D850 model is without filter, and it is convenient for the user to correct the (rare) images which present an effect too sensitive, by adding a little blur.

I don't know about the other manufacturers

Igor , Jean-Cyprien

thanks for your replies .

My problem appears with static images . I tried "Sharper/smoother" - it does not really help . The slide gets softer and dramatically less sharp , but the moire doesn't disappear . What is really astonishing for me is that---- all the other software products (Windows FOTO , Capture one etc. ) don't show that effect , which for me is only visible in PTE . As soon as I resize the slide / reduce the number of pixels from full frame to eg.1920x1080 px the moire disappears in PTE . Any explanation ?

Paul

I've just had a look at Paul's image at a screen seize of 1804x1200, using XnView, IrfanView and PTE. All three programs show different Moiré effects. They seem to use different methods for resampling. For this particular image, XnView is slightly better than PTE, while IrfanView is significantly better, almost avoiding the Moiré effect. Resizing the image to 1804x1200 in Photoshop and viewing the result at 100% gives about the same Moiré effect as with XnView.