WnSoft Forums

Time for a new PC

JudyKay

It's time for a new Laptop PC for travel that will not move around a lot.  Sort of a Desktop replacement.  I want it to last for several years to come.  I am willing to spend a little for a good one.

Suggestions?  15"  16"  17"  
Dell?  Asus ROG? PRoart?  
Should I focus more on Video card (3080) or processor (i9 12950) or RAM (16MB - 64 MB)?

58 minutes ago, JudyKay said:

It's time for a new Laptop PC for travel that will not move around a lot.  Sort of a Desktop replacement.  I want it to last for several years to come.  I am willing to spend a little for a good one.

Suggestions?  15"  16"  17"  
Dell?  Asus ROG? PRoart?  
Should I focus more on Video card (3080) or processor (i9 12950) or RAM (16MB - 64 MB)?

Take a look at HP's range. Had one of their laptops & Desktop 3 years now.

Rosy. 

I am a Dell person and just bought a new laptop with 4K screen, 64 GB of memory, 2 TB SSD and 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900HK  2.50 GHz processor.  This is about my 10th Dell of some sort over the last 25 years so you can see I am a happy camper.  

The 64 GB of memory does make a huge difference as well as the newer graphics card and  processor.  Regarding the screen size, My opinion would be that you might be best getting an external monitor as well if it's in your budget.  I have the 15 inch laptop for best portability when I am traveling by car but actually use an old 14 inch 2-in-1 for international travel because it's really small and light (at this point it's mainly for photo backup and some work related stuff as I rarely have time to actually work on slideshows or edit photos when I travel).  At home, the new 15 inch computer is always in one place on my desk and hooked to an external 27 inch 4K monitor.  The screen on the laptop is lovely, but the older I get, the easier it is on my eyesight to look at a bigger monitor.  My 2 cents.

PTE AV Studio is best suited for NVIDIA graphics. It's better if a laptop has only one NVIDIA graphics (no Intel graphics). Because single NVIDIA graphics means NVIDIA hardware video encoder. In laptops with Intel + NVIDIA dual graphics, the hardware encoder is always Intel, which is worse (visual quality) than NVIDIA. However laptops with single NVIDIA has less battery life. You need to choice.

2. I think that 16GB or 32GB of memory will be enough. For PTE AV Studio - 8GB is enough for all tasks.

3. CPU. Any modern processor (6+ cores). A faster processor will provide faster video encoding (unless you use the hardware acceleration option that uses NVIDIA graphics). So Core i7 will be enough for PTE AV Studio.

4. Display. I think the most important part of your choice is the display. Screen size, viewing angles, matte or anti-glare. Avoid screens with strong reflections.

Some premium laptops now have OLED screens. Beware of these screens. OLED screens in laptops flicker at low or medium brightness levels, which can cause eye strain and headaches. The same problem occur with all Samsung smartphones and with iPhone which have OLED screens.

Good luck with your choice,