WnSoft Forums

Serif Affinity 2.0.3 won't open when set as the graphical editor with PTE11

Mike2003

I have been using the latest version of PTE11 with the latest version Affinity 2.0.3 (the App version) set as my graphical editor but the editor refuses to open.  I have reset the path details in PTE prefs. but no effect.  I had problems installing Affinity as Serif don't offer a exe file to load and use an App from MS Store.   I am certain Affinity 2.0.3 was working as the graphical editor with the Beta versions. Affinity 1 was certainly working without a problem. I am running latest W11 pro. Everything else seems OK on PTE. Any suggestions would be welcome.  

I recommend to change (update) again a link to an external editor in the Preferences > System tab > Set Graphical editor

I just checked how it works on my desktop computer. I chosen Pixbuilder Studio editor and it worked fine for images selected in PTE AV Studio 11.

Thanks Igor and Jill. Tried setting the external editor to ON1 PR 2023 and it works perfectly, but I prefer to use Affinity photo for my edits when in PTE. The executable is in installed in the WindowsApps folder  and despite rebooting and resetting the path and also 'unhiding' the WindowsApp folder it still refuses to work. I can run the file directly from within the folder structure  and obviously via my Start menu.  I wonder if now Affinity Photo is installed as a its a 'WindowsApp' rather than a standard install executable if its folder access permission issue. Have done the reboot etc. as suggested. Have checked the WindowsApp etc. folder permissions and what I think is the user (ie PTE) is allowed to read and execute the code so not sure what's going on.  I did have  problem with permissions when first installing Affinity Photo 2 which was different from Affinity Photo 1 in that it didn't use a standard .exe  installer file and installed the  file in the WindowsApp rather than in an Affinity folder.  So still mystified. I will continue to look into this. 

I seem to have found a solution after doing some more research on the Affinity forum.  It would seem that I wasn't alone in needing to launch an 'App' from within an application.

Managed to find an extensive set of posts on the Affinity forum. It seems to stem from the fact that Affinity Photo  2 now installs as a Windows App. It would seem that PTE will not locate and run a Windows App as such  and will only run standard executables. (Igor is this an issue for PTE?) as a result you can't set it as your default graphical editor. But pasting the following path link into PTE works for me. I am am unable to browse to and then insert the path when using PTE  but I can  copy the path from file explorer  and then paste it into PTE and it seems to work. 

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

Mike

The Affinity Photo posts that allowed me to find a solution can be found under this Affinity forum post title:  Affinity Photo v2 .exe file location

Hi Mike,

Installing Affinity Apps on a new PC this morning. I have a slightly different path discovered using task manager that works. Yours is probably better since it doesn't require a version number.

"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.3.1688_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt\App\Photo.exe"

Tom