WnSoft Forums

.pte files opening in wrong version from Explorer [Solved]

jkb

I have just installed the new version 11.0.1  ( 18/01/2023 at about 16:00)  and made sure that 'associate .pte files' was ticked during install.

But when I double click a .pte file in Windows Explorer it is trying to open in PTE 10 Not even 10.5

I created a new test file with just a blank slide & Text, making sure I was in 11.0.1

Saved it, checked in Notepad that it was created in 11.0.1, but double click from explorer still tries to open in PTE10

I have reinstalled 10.5.9  build 3 again, making sure that 'associate pte files' was ticked, but a project saved in 11 still tries to open in 10.0.10 build 8.

Creating & saving a project in 10.5.9 also tries to open it in 10.0.10.

Sample Test projects with Blank Slide & Text

TestOpen10.5.pte

TestOpen11.pte

I have checked in Control Panel that the .pte file is Associated with PTE AV Studio & it is but doesn't show the Version

FileAssociations.JPG.6875d9103f4f14b2810c6350df74a1b1.JPG

I clicked on Change Program to make sure it was using PTE11

But looking at the install dates for both 10.5 & 11 neither are correct.

10.5 is showing September 2022 even though I have just reinstalled it today 18th January 2023

InstallDate10.5.JPG.e93a43ffb19adc62dc91ea9156302c1e.JPG

And PTE11 is showing yesterday, when I have just installed it today and didn't do any installs yesterday 17th January.

InstallDate11.JPG.88413d75a56a221e563b3f000b8de9ee.JPG

Something strange is going on!!

This is all on my Win 7 Laptop

Will check later tonight on my Win 10 desktop

I don't normally open PTE files from Explorer & usually Open the Version of PTE that I want to use first, then do File/Open

So I don't know how long this has been incorrect.

Jill

I have installed the latest V11.0.1 on my Desktop & double click in Explorer opens in V11.0.1

So looks like my Laptop is doing strange things again.

But I notice that the date  of the program.exe is also showing as yesterday 17th January at 18:12 even though I have just installed it now on 18th January at 19:40.

This is the Date Modified so I would expect it to show the current date.

Jill

33 minutes ago, jkb said:

...  But I notice that the date  of the program.exe is also showing as yesterday 17th January at 18:12 even though I have just installed it now on 18th January at 19:40 ...

My  PTEAVStudio.exe  also shows  17.01.2023 / 18:12 ,  and I think that it's ok  (time when the exe was built or signed (?), not the time when it was copied onto my HD).

• Like 1

After checking last night that double Click from explorer worked corrctly on my Desktop, I have just manually associated .pte files with PTE11 on my Laptop.
But it is still not working.

But today it is now opening in 10.5.9 rather than 10.0.10 as it was yesterday.

I found I still had lots of beta versions from 9, 10, 10.5 & 11 so I have uninstalled all of those, not that that should make any difference.

Not sure what else to try now?

Jill

Hi Nelson, thanks for reminding me of your problem.
But I have tried all the steps that I can think of & it still is not working.

It is getting more strange!!!

I have the Icon for PTE 11 on my Taskbar - as are all the programs I use frequently.

When I left click the Icon PTE11 opens with the last project as expected

If I right click the Icon & select one of the files - all created in PTE11 - it opens PTE10.5 & I get the warning message that the file was created in a newer version.

Right click, then left click on PTE AV Studio 11 opens the correct version with the last project.

Something very strange is going on.

With all the beta installs I left the 'associate PTE' box unticked & only ticked it once PTE11 was finally released.

But for some reason it is not working.

Jill

RightClickTaskBar.JPG.87d542b0e6aee7349e69f1e6e1ca27b9.JPG

Hi Jill,

I think it's some fault in Windows Registry settings. Not in PTE AV Studio.

Try the following:

1. Reinstall manually PTE 11.0.1 with a ticked option "Associate .pte files...".
  2. Restart Windows.

If it doesn't help, repeat steps from a tutorial below to fix this issue:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/change-fix-broken-file-type-associations-windows-7/

P.S. Windows Explorer shows a date of when a particular version of PTE AV Studio was built (compiled), not a date when it was installed on a computer.

Hi Igor,

Thanks.

I have just completely uninstalled PTE11 & done a fresh install & it is now working.

As you say something was corrupted. But as Windows 7 no longer does any updates I do not know what.

The only other update I have done recently is to FireFox Browser.

Anyway it all appears to be working OK now.

Jill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• jkb changed the title to .pte files opening in wrong version from Explorer - Solved

This issue sometimes randomly occurs in Windows when two apps or more were assigned to open some file extension (documents, videos).

I guess it happens if one app sets file association in the installation mode (when the app has higher privileges) and when user manually changes a file association manually from Windows Explorer. I don't know why it works so strange in Windows. 

I observed this issue many times in the past with other apps.

• Igor changed the title to .pte files opening in wrong version from Explorer [Solved]