WnSoft Forums

Our Last Camera?

rosy

We had need midweek to take some pics, We have 2 Panasonic Bridge cameras, a Panasonic Vlogging camera, a Sony camcorder, an action camera & a Sony compact, plus my phone. All the cameras were out of action either with faults or flat batteries, so the phone had to do. I managed to charge the battery on M's bridge camera & take some video.

After all that palaver I decided to trade in what was working & go for another so called bridge camera, Nikon Coolpix P1000 .

Our first serious DSLR was a Nikon D90, then we tried a Canon DSLR, & eventually got fed up of carrying a bag full of lenses & bought my first Bridge, the Panasonic FZ150. I think they broke the mould with this camera, my keeper rate went up to 80% & I used it for 3 years until the on off switch got wonkey.

Are we doing the right thing with the Nikon?

Rosy:(

Just my opinion but between the huge advances in quality of photos taken with SmartPhones and the post-processing software available these days, I am sort of at the point that I will be leaving my cameras home rather than lugging around.  On my last several vacations where I was figuring one of my Fujifilm bridge cameras would provide most of the photos for my video shows, I ended up mainly using the photos taken with the SmartPhone.  

Hi Seismic Guy

Most of my shows are video, I have a Ssamsung Galaxy that's about 12 months old now, I use it in awkward close up situations & have made a couple of shows with it. I still like to use something that looks like a camera , so I don't think my phone will be taking over. Thanks for the comment.

Rosy.

Hi Rosy,

The P1000 super zoom camera looks amazing. Great for taking photos/video of birds, moon, etc. I have always wanted one for the zoom capability. I think 125x/3000 mm has the largest zoom in a bridge camera. Almost ready to buy one myself.

https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-coolpix-p1000-review/

Tom

Hi Rosy,

If you need a super zoom camera that is affordable this looks like a good choice (125x optical and 600x digital). The other option is to use a telescope with a camera adapter but not as portable. :)

Tom

Hi Tom

What I need is a camera that's reliable, doesnt go into hibernation at the wink of an eye, (Panny G100). doesn't run the batteries down so quickly when not in use, reasonably robust, & won't go out of favour as soon as I've bought it.:wacko:

Rosy.

Hi Eric,

The camera might be a little big if you are not that interested in super zoom. I have a Panasonic FZ1000 that I haven't touched since pre-covid. Time to dust it off and see how well it works for birds.

Tom

4 hours ago, rosy said:

What I need is a camera that's reliable

Rosy, if the Nikon has a digital viewfinder rather than optical, check that you can actually see it clearly first.

I know your eyesight isn't the best, I am the same & when I looked at Nikon (having been a Nikon SLR & DSLR user for about 30 years) I found that I couldn't see the image in the viewfinder clearly. The only camera I could see at the time I bought my last one was a Panasonic. This was several years ago & things no doubt have changed.

Jill

• Thanks 1

Hi Jill

I usually use the screen now when shooting & don't mess around with settings. I wear expensive specs & am careful that I dont damage them when shooting. This link takes you to the Nikon P1000 site P1000 & this one to a very good reviw on YT.  This one is a review on YT  review   I remember my FZ 150 had a hard plastic surround on the viewfinder & I stuck a foam rubber surround to protect my specs. Thanks for your concern. Wether I buy the P1000 depends on Wex's offer for my "old kit". 

Rosy

Hi Dave  Wont know Wex's final offer until it goes back & they examine it, they are collecting Wednesday. Checked LCE's system & you have to wait for an estimate on your P/Ex. The Item you want to buy has a lower basic price but you have to add the items Wex include (battery, charger, lens hood etc) so it's difficult to decide until Wex's final offer. Thanks anyway, LCE is somewhere I haven't tried before.

Thanks Rosy.

I looked at the Nikon, Canon, and Sony bridge cameras about 12 months ago. The biggest negative for the 125 zoom was blur due to camera shake and the image quality was not all that good. In the end, I bought the Sony RX10IV and even bought a second one to be converted to IR. The menu and controls are different to my other Sony's but they are my regular "wandering" cameras. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S23 and absolutely amazed at the quality of still and video images. You can get a gimbal for it that makes shooting videos much easier.

• Thanks 1

Hi Digartal

We all have our own preferences, that's why the camera industry flourished, What has knocked that on the head is the Smartphone.

However at my age (83) it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. That's why I stuck with Panasonic bridge cameras for so long, the Intelligent Auto setting was my saviour. However over the last couple of years, the P DG1000 has failed & the FZ330 failed after a slight dropping incident, That's why I decided to go back to Nikon. Just wating for Wex to value my old Panasonic stuff to see if it gives me enough funds to buy the P1000. If I buy it & it is too much for me I can always stick it on the mantlepiece as an ornament.

BTW I always use a tripod of fix the camera solidly when videoing & long zoomz, never hand hold where I can.

Thanks for the reply.

Rosy.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that you are as happy with your new toy as I am with my P900 (it's predecessor) The only problem I have had with it was the lens didn't retract when the lever was moved. I had to turn the camera off so as the lens retracted. I got that fixed and have no problems now. I think that the mechanism suffered on the trip up the west coast of Norway - wet, foggy and snow in July!

Hi Rosemary

I've read quite a lot of critique on the P1000 & the main faults that were mentioned were the lens retraction. I've been wading through the manual for something to do before it arrived, there's quite a bit in there about the lens. I suppose because it has such a large range, it needs more care than usual. It even suggests how to position the tripod when the lens is extened. Considering the cost of the camera I will be giving maximum care. Thanks for the comments., (still haven't taken it out of the box yet.)

Having trouble finding a Nikon mains charger, I don't like charging batteries inside the camera. There is a model number in the manual, but no one seems to stock it. I've asked Nikon but not had a reply.

Rosy.

P1000RM_(En)08.pdf

Hi Rosy,

The Nikon MH-29 charger has been discontinued. Unless you can find a used charger, you will probably have to go with a different seller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerTrust-EN-EL20-Battery-Charger-EN-EL20a/dp/B09FSYSFBJ

Tom

24 minutes ago, tom95521 said:

Hi Rosy,

The Nikon MH-29 charger has been discontinued. Unless you can find a used charger, you will probably have to go with a different seller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerTrust-EN-EL20-Battery-Charger-EN-EL20a/dp/B09FSYSFBJ

Tom

Hi Tom

How did you find it was discontinued, I've asked the oracle (Nikon) & got no reply. Filter arrived BTW.

Cheers Rosy

Hi Tom

Thanks for that. Funny how Nikon & other camera company's seem to have more information on their US sites. Doesn't show a picture of the rear to show the type of plug used.

Cheers Rosy.

PS just checked the MH 29 on the US Amazon site & it's a used one & the picture of the plug is the same as the one on UK Ebay.:(

Finally made a descision about the charger. As Nikon didn't answer my query, I've assumed there was a flaw in the original charger design, possibly the fold down mains prongs. I did another search & came up with a company called Subtel Subtel They do a charger for the P1000 that looks conventional with the usual power sockets & plugs. So I ordered one, should be here sometime next week. Total cost including postage under £20.:P

Rosy.