WnSoft Forums

Option for Transparent Backgrounds and Exports with Transparency

Sometimes I make videos that just partly has the slideshow. So my simplified workflow is to make the slideshow in PTE AV and then add some more content in Davinci Resolve. Also, maybe I only want to create the slides with animations and do the background in Resolve. That would mean an option to change the background to transparent but right now, we only have solid colors, gradients and images. Lastly, if I'm going to continue my work in an editor, the export quality from PTE AV should be high otherwise it would get a noticeable downgrade in the end when I do another export in the editor. Not sure if the High Quality options are enough. 

So to summarize:

1. Option to have transparent Backgrounds

2. Publish/Export options that support transparency and of high quality (maybe PNG sequence? Prores?)

54 minutes ago, Tonton Bruno said:

You can use a green background under PTE, and suppress it under resolve using the FX filter '3D Keyer'.

That's what I've been doing actually but with different colors depending on what creates the most contrast with the slides. Still, the requested feature would make post processing less resource intensive. This would benefit people like me who currently don't have the most suitable rigs for heavier jobs. 

As far as I know, there is no transparent background supported by H264 or H265 protocol.

I think there is no AVI or MP4 files with transparent background.

I Know only GIF format supporting transparent format in vidéo, but with many other restrictions.

Please can you precise what file format do you suggest to achieve your goal ?

PTE can take in MP4 files with Transparent background, but only certain ones.

Da Vinci is very heavy on resources & most things can be done more easily in PTE, at least that is what I find.

I do all of my video editing in PTE.

Jill

3 hours ago, Tonton Bruno said:

As far as I know, there is no transparent background supported by H264 or H265 protocol.

I think there is no AVI or MP4 files with transparent background.

I Know only GIF format supporting transparent format in vidéo, but with many other restrictions.

Please can you precise what file format do you suggest to achieve your goal ?

Yup that's why if a transparent background feature is added, a corresponding video format that supports transparency on export should be added as well. I usually go with 'PNG sequence' when I export animations from other software, then when add my finishing touches in Resolve, I export it in mp4.

2 hours ago, jkb said:

PTE can take in MP4 files with Transparent background, but only certain ones.

Da Vinci is very heavy on resources & most things can be done more easily in PTE, at least that is what I find.

I do all of my video editing in PTE.

Jill

Yeah, PTE is surprisingly viable. It's just that with an editor, you are able to do microadjustments.

On 10/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, nixiejames said:

2. Publish/Export options that support transparency and of high quality (maybe PNG sequence? Prores?)

We consider this option for future. Thanks. PTE's engine can render a final video with a transparency.

Do you have calculations of resulting file size if we encode video in PNG format for HD or 4K? I guess it should be dozens of gigabytes.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

We consider this option for future. Thanks. PTE's engine can render a final video with a transparency.

But that will be useless if we don't have the option to have a transparent background. Will you consider number 1 as well?

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Do you have calculations of resulting file size if we encode video in PNG format for HD or 4K? I guess it should be dozens of gigabytes.

Whenever I do cartoons from a software called Cartoon Animator, my output is around 5 to 8 minutes long, and in PNG sequence. The file size can go as low as 3 GB and as high as 20+ GB. I don't export at 4K, so it can easily double or triple that if 4K is what you want or if the file contains photos that have a lot of details. But when I import that into Resolve, then make my final edit, the resulting mp4 video will only be at 500 MB to 2 GB maximum.