WnSoft Forums

Comments on these photos

MidKnight

18 members have voted

1. 1. Comments on these photos

• Picture 1
    • Picture 2

Just looking for some comments on these photos. im thinking about making enlargments for the wall. But when i took them i thought i should brake that branch off, then decided no it might look more natural in the photo, now im not sure.

Also need comments on which of the 2 is the better one

Picture 1

1.jpg

Picture 2

2.jpg

thanks

And I'll opt for #1. I prefer the extra "space" on the left side in this picture (as opposed to the right space in #2. I think the extra space on the left allows the view to better flow with the stream. I would keep the branch. If you want it out, it is probably fairly easily removed with PS or other tool you may have.

I voted for 2. I think it's too heavy 78 kb for this size. you are right, in my opinion, about the branch.

What do you mean its too heavy 78 kb for its size. and you think its ok will the branch like it is in it?

---

I would keep the branch. If you want it out, it is probably fairly easily removed with PS or other tool you may have.

i wouldn't know how to do this, but i would be very interested in seeing it done if you can do it?

I have voted for #1. The water flows nicely from right, to left, to right through the picture. The waterfall is too central in #2. I would keep the branch in without a doubt.

Ron [uK]

My choice is for No.2. I feel that the inclusion of more of the pool at the base of the image gives a better balance to the composition. I would leave the branch alone it helps to keep the composition together. Without it the high light at the top would draw your eye out of the image, the branch helps to pull the eye back down into the image then the pool and the rocks at the bottom guide you back around through the whole thing again. Both shots are your's to beproud of but I would hang No.2

Alan ;)

This is turning out to be more interesting than I expected.

I removed the branch from the photo and am convinced, along with everyone else I guess, that the photo is "better" with the branch.

But it is interesting to see now the vote of 6 to 4. Alan has strong credentials behind his assessment of the photos. I find myself, though I preferred the other photo, further looks by me do not reinforce nor undermine my oppinion. I often find the same "problem" with some of my own photos. I have two nearly simultaneous candid portraits of a little girl last night. One has slightly different eye direction and catchlight. Which is better? It should be simpler to ask "Which do I like better?", but I can't even answer that. I think sometimes we have to conclude that there is no "better." Unless we define "better" to mean "level of appeal." Then we may be able to at least decide which one to hang on the wall. But I'm afraid MidKnight will have to decide that, separate from our vote. ;) But, I would also encourage more forum members to vote, just to see how the preferences stack up with more viewers.

afterthought : Were both photos taken from the exact ground spot, with only a tiny different tilt and turn of the lens angle?

MidKnight

Ok, here is the final solution:

Whatever you do, some will like 2 and some will like 1.

Just put the one you feel is better, after all, you are the creator and not the people who look at the picture. If I like a picture, I vote for it even if no one like it.

As for the size, it should be 40-50 kb. If you have 50 pictures on the show and can cut 20 kb from each it will be better for downloads but if you distribute by CD it will not matter too much. I prefer smaller size (kb) to prevent slowing down on different machines, but I guess no one notice anyway. Maybe I'm just kb-paranoid.

Hello Everyone,

My vote is photo #2, leave in the branch, mother nature staged the scene perfectly.

Alan Lyons

My choice is for No.2. I feel that the inclusion of more of the pool at the base of the image gives a better balance to the composition. I would leave the branch alone it helps to keep the composition together

Water Fall with & without branch

Question...

Are you trying to decide which one of these 2 are to go in a presentation?

If so then it has to been decided how they fade in together in the general show with previous and following images and not on their individual merits.

Mike

Mersea Island

Mike

If you look at the original thread, MidKnight wants to "make an enlargement for the wall". My judgement for #1 has been based on that premise. As an image for AV I tend not to use vertical format unless it can be incorporated in an acceptable way.

Ron [uK]

yes same spot, just a slightly differant angle

MidKnight, give a look here:

members.xoom.virgilio.it/iulius/003.jpg (you must copy and paste this URL in address box)

I tried to find an agreement...

My vote is photo #2, leave in the branch, mother nature staged the scene perfectly.

If you compare these images side by side, it is obvious why the branch needs to stay. Is'nt it great though, to see the creative side of this forum come to life. I always enjoy this type of discussion because rarely do we all agree on "which is best" and the process of how and why we take a photograph will always keep the creative juices flowing. Perhaps one of our members sites will host a single image competioton, with a poll held here on the forum? We may unleash a monster, but I think it would be a good one,

Alan ;)

Yes Leif, I too checked it, and my link gives actually a "404" page. I cannot understand why, since the address is exact.

But if you copy and paste it to address bar it works!

Here is the URL :

members.xoom.virgilio.it/iulius/003.jpg

I corrected also my previous post.

MidKnight: Very interesting to read all the posts. Think your image is very nice and agree with most everyone else that the branch needs to stay--for most of the same reasons. Branch also adds better perception of depth and softens that area of the image. Unless you are locked into a particular shape, might consider cropping so the waterfall is in the right third of the image. The only thing I found disturbing about the image was the exact center placement of the main focal area. I like the waterfall to the right, stream flowing left to right and then right to left into the pool.

My 2 cents.

Ed