Barry Beckham

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ken,

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

An example of pixel shape affecting "resolution" or perceived sharpness: displaying more information in a smaller area using a higher resolution makes the image much clearer. However, newer LCD displays and such are fixed at a certain resolution; making the resolution lower on these kinds of screens will greatly decrease sharpness, as an interpolation process is used to "fix" the non-native resolution input into the displays native resolution output.

DaveG

How about this one, Ken:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...resolution.mspx

Note: Flat-panel monitors support only a single resolution. If you change the default resolution of a flat-panel display, text will appear blurry. If you have a flat-panel monitor like the ones in the image below, the default resolution provides the sharpest image for the size of your monitor screen.

DaveG

Jeb

No problem with changing the resolution back again after you have viewed the show. I often take a slide show up to my other machine to view it as the author intended at 104*768.

However, many who do create shows at this resolution may not be aware that the quality of their images are reduced for those playing the slide show at 1280*1024. Unless you tell PTE5 to do something else it will stretch your images to fit the monitor. I see that a lot with shows I download and usually do the author the curtesy of playing their show at the resolution they intended ie 1024*768.

I think the best method of putting togethera slide show using montages is to do it one picture at a time. I know that sounds a bit odd, but what I mean is I built that slide show one image at a time and when I could see how the first few looked, then I would decide what object would be removed from the montage and what added. You don't get it right all the time and I had a couple of false starts in sections where my chosen path didn't work. The trouble with that is you can't then just remove one image, you have to rework maybe 5-6 that link together.

Saving layered files is essential

Davegee

What will you do when everyone upgrades to 1400x1050 projectors - will you offer a third option?

No, I won't offer a third option or even a second come to that. My current shows will still project fine through a higher res projector and I will be moving on and making more.....I hope.

I don't think I will create shows for 1024*768 monitors now, I only did that because I use many AV's at my demos and they work well on my PC projector running 1024*768. However, shows made for 1280*1024 monitors also project perfectly well through the projector too. I just change the resolution of the PC running the projector and change it back after the show ends. It only takes a few seconds.

Ken

Oh yes, I have seen that survey before, but I think that if you did the same survey and targeted amateur digital Photographers + AV enthusiasts I am not sure you would get the result. Talking to people at many camera clubs I am of the opinion that if 1280*1024 is not already the standard for photographers, its a lot closer than that survey suggests. For quite some time now PC's bought in the UK seem to be running 1280*1024

Barry,

If, as seems 99.99% likely, all/most PAGB / WPF competitions in 2009 will be projected on 1400x1050 (Canon) projectors then it seems to me that the obvious thing to do is for me to get a 1050 PIXEL HIGH NATIVE RESOLUTION monitor. (1400x1050 is not available, it seems).

Maureen, I know, is very busy at the moment, but if she reads this she might be able to give us an informed view of what the Digital AV world seems likely to be doing in the next couple of years.

I suspect that they too will be adopting the 1400x1050 standard.

DaveG

Barry,

In support of your reply above to Ken, I think the survey he refers to does in fact support your views unless I am mistaken.

800x600

2002-2005 21%

2005 - Now 9%

1024x768

2002-2005 48%

2005 - Now 41%

1280x1024

2002-2005 14%

2005 - Now 23%

The trend certainly appears to be towards 1280x1024.

Personally I find it easier to read at 1024x764 - but perhaps..............?

Regards

John

PS

Thanks for the tips on the montage.

PPS

When does the video come out ??!!

Davegee

Who cares about the rules for Jessops competitions anyway, but I am not sure I see your point. Its not compulory to create images 1400*1050. All that means is you have to crop your images towards a square shape exactly as is now done with 1024*768. While the crop is OK sometimes, often it isn't acceptable and the native format from the camera is streets better.

All my slide shows will project great on that 1400*1050 resolution monitor and in fact different resolution AV shows have less relavance on a PC projector than they do on a monitor. In a darkened room you havn't got any visible plastic around the screen as you do with a monitor, so the image size being slightly smaller than the PC screen projects fine. It doesn't matter a hoot surely if a slide show is presented filling an entire 6 foot screen or 5 feet in the middle, unless the AV competitions gives points now for size?

My last show was presented 1200*798, it presents perfectly through a 1024*768 projector where the PC is set to 1280*1024. It will do just the same on a a PC projector running 1400*1050.

I think my next screen purchase (I have a very old 21in CRT) will be a large flat screen and I sort of expect to be running that at 1600*1200 unless my eyes start to give out.

Jeb

I have thought about a tutorial on the montage technique, but I am not sure it would appeal to many.

Hi Barry,

"I have thought about a tutorial on the montage technique, but I am not sure it would appeal to many."

It would certainly appeal to me. You could always ask someone to set up a voting system :lol:

I have my 19" flat screen monitor at 1280 x 1024 and find the quality really falls off if I try to use it at 1024 x 768. It actually sends me a message saying I ought to get my settings sorted out!

Sometimes things may look a bit small when using word or excel but there is a little box at the top that allows the user to set the zoom to any desired %age. I find this much better than going to a lower resolution anyway.

I have a couple of pages from DigitalPhoto on an article you did on montages others who may not have seen this might find something along those lines useful if you still have any of the material available.

Kind regards

Peter

For quite some time now PC's bought in the UK seem to be running 1280*1024

In France it seem it's the 16/10 format which is in all the shops and in the futur we have to think to HDTV.

But today most of the PC are still 1024 x 768.

my next screen purchase will be a large flat screen and I sort of expect to be running that at 1600*1200

In order it run even on HDTV and on 1600 x 1200 screen, your window must be at least of 1920 x 1200.

Since a long time, for original mode slideshow (V4) I have a background which is 2048 x 1536, so I can see my old slideshows without any problem, even on HDTV.

I never had pictures more than 1024 x 768 in original mode, too many people can't see more.

Barry.jpg

JPD

In order for what to run on HDTV, my slide shows?

I have no desire to to that at all, but even if I did that wouldn't affect my choice of resolution for my monitor. Creating a HDTV show on DVD, which is what I think you mean would be just a tiny bit of what I do, I wouldn't structure everything around that. I have only ever made one show for DVD. I just don't have the need or inclination to do that.

Perhaps that will change in the future, but it won't affect what monitor or res I use.

or am I missing the point

Peter

I will give it some more thought, but would rather ndo something new, software and my techniques have changed over the years and an old tutorial may be a bit out of date. I have done something on montages for AV, but perhaps it could be re-done now

In order for what to run on HDTV, my slide shows?

Some as me want to see slideshows, (this one for exemple) on a HDTV, it's quite different of a PC monitor... and you can take a whisky when seeing the slideshow on the TV :)

<snip>..... and you can take a whisky when seeing the slideshow on the TV :)

Well that has convinced me. :lol:

JPD

Well, now your talking and I am almost convinced. Make mine a double please

I have never had a great desire to make DVD's because of the quality issues, I would rather watch on a PC screen. However, this year should see us leave the UK for a new life in Australia. When we set up home there a large flat screen HDTV is on the list, so when I see the quality I may even change my mind.

There didn't seem a great deal of point in going for a HDTV when you know that in months you will be leaving and it will have to be shipped and possibly damaged.

Remind me in a years time :rolleyes:

Barry

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving these shores, but what an adventure, I have benefited from your considerable knowledge in the past and hope that I will be able to do so in the future. My very best wishes to you both.

Barry,

I quite agree with you about DVD quality today, I wait until TV are Full HD to buy one and I bought also a new ladtop with HDMI ouput, so I can see all the exe slideshows without any distorsion. The result is fantastic and I think that more and more people will do that in the future.

Of course, I'll do as you if I made a travel.... I'll wait.

you can take a whisky when seeing the slideshow on the TV :)

JP, are we all invited to your TV room?,and of course, take a whiskey. LOL.

Tom

JP, are we all invited to your TV room?,and of course, take a whiskey. LOL.

Tom

You just have to cross the channel, I have both, whiskey and whisky, but maybe you prefer Cognac :)

We may be leaving the UK, but what we do will not change. We intend to carry on creating DVD's while people still want them.

We are on the final stages of obtaining a Visa for Australia and have met all their stipulations. So its not a case of if, but when we go now. There has been a delay on the visa type we have applied for, but it will be July at the latest. Hopefully sooner.

We expected it about now, but it appears they have met their quota for the next few months. I wonder why so many people want to leave the UK?

Will the last one please switch off the lights. :rolleyes:

Hi,

I am amazed by the very strange thinking on adusting one's monitor resolution in order to view a slideshow as the author intends it to be viewed.

This particular show by Barry with all the super blends and montages can only be seen at its best at the original resolution.

How difficult is it for anyone to change their monitor to view the show? Afterwards they can put it back to their very own precious settings.

To suggest that the author has to 'adjust' is just plain silly.

Anthony