WnSoft Forums

Updated view of the main window

Igor

In my opinion, the new Main Window is OK. I do not want to make a comment on the light box. In the present form I do not regard it as very useful. In a light box it should be possible to arrange the order of the images, and when placing an image into the show it should not any longer be seen in the box :)

Regards,

Xaver

1)

It is not the intention to start a controversy. It's just a simple reflection.

For several years I have tried to provide a good translation of the program in Dutch. I follow the developments of PTE and other programs fairly well.

Now I wonder whether we can continue to use the term "slide" as a description.

The "slide list" of the new version will probably also contain video footage and then I find the description "slides" on buttons and elsewhere in the program rather poor.

PTE has evolved from a "slideshow" program to a universal AV program, so the correct names should also be considered.

We will use video footage, images of all types, backgrounds, titles with transparent background, etc.

Should we not generally speak of objects, given the diversity of the elements that one can use and add in the program?

2)

About the new layout: For me it's OK when it looks simple and it's intuitive.

3)

Question for Igor:

Will there be a color code on the "slides" in the "slideslist" when an object is linked to a "slide"?

Ex. highlighted in red or green or other color.

The currently selected "slide" is blue in your example.

Or will there be an other indication?

Regards,

Cor

With reference to Xaver's point. I think the confusion comes from there being two "Lightbox" features. One works on the File List (the images present in the currently selected folder) and the other works on the Slide List (the images currently selected to be in the sequence). The latter allows the images to be moved around and deleted from the sequence. The former allows an image or selection of multiple images to be added to the sequence from the File List.

regards,

Peter

With reference to Xaver's point. I think the confusion comes from there being two "Lightbox" features. One works on the File List (the images present in the currently selected folder) and the other works on the Slide List (the images currently selected to be in the sequence). The latter allows the images to be moved around and deleted from the sequence. The former allows an image or selection of multiple images to be added to the sequence from the File List.

regards,

Peter

I would like to see a real light box function, as provided by Wings/m.objects. Both light boxes in PTE have their deficiencies.

Regards,

Xaver

... Now I wonder whether we can continue to use the term "slide" as a description ...

Hi Cor,

I must admit, that I'm not really happy with the term of "slide". What is a slide in PTE: It is a container object that contains one or more visual objects like images, frames, texts, etc. During the lifetime of this container, the included visual objects can be animated. "Slide" may not be a good name, but nevertheless the situation in the English UI is much better than in the Dutch or German one. In both UIs the same term (Afbeelding/Bild) is used for the container (slide) itself, as well as for the images inside the container, quite a confusing concept. In this matter I wrote several mails to WnSoft, and once I had a discussion with the German translator. Several improvements of the German UI could be achieved, but in the slide problem, I ran against a wall :wacko:

In my opinion, there is a general problem with PTE's slide concept. As said above, an animation of an object only lives during the lifetime of its container (slide). So (as an example) it is (almost) impossible to run several slides while there is common background image that has a constant zoom. Wouldn't it be nice to have parallel tracks of slides (or what other name we may choose)? This would give us the advantages of both worlds: PTE and Wings/m.objects.

Regards,

Xaver

This new main window looks fine, several information about slides are added but I agree with Peter, it is very important to keep an icon button for the digital lightbox, short keys are important for experts but are real traps for beginners who do not want to read all the user manual before making their first slide.

The most intuitive is the interface the better it is for all PTE users!

I

Some questions to Igor,

- I do not understand the reason for the cross ( on the same line as Customize Slide and O&A ) what is the purpose?

Other comment :

Even if Xaver is right, personnaly I do not see any inconvenience to keep the same wording "Slide" for Pictures or Videos or both.

Daniel

"Slide" may not be a good name, but nevertheless the situation in the English UI is much better than in the Dutch or German one. In both UIs the same term (Afbeelding/Bild) is used for the container (slide) itself, as well as for the images inside the container, quite a confusing concept.

Hi Xaver,

I can only speak for the Dutch translation.

You are right that "Afbeelding" as a translation for "Slide" and/or "the image container" may be confusing now.

However, this situation has grown with the evolution of PTE.

Several versions ago, I made the choice to translate "Slide" to "Afbeelding", because I found that not only slides but also other objects could be imported and used (photographs, maps, backgrounds, etc.).

With the fast development of PTE and the many technical possibilities that are added and will continue to be added, there must be a consistent way to decide which English names and/or descriptions will be given to important elements in the program.

This mainly to avoid confusion.

Translation, although in some instances, remains a compromise in finding the right words.

One can try to be technical as accurate as possible.

I therefore believe that Igor and his team will have to, in addition to the layout, consistently determine which keywords will be used in the program.

If they decide not to change anything, that's OK with me, but it will have implications in some translations.

Therefore I asked the question.

Greetings,

Cor

Igor and others -

I believe having 2 interface views will lead to confusion. Whenever someone is seeking help or advice, they'll first have to identify which view they're using. We know what everyone using 6.5 or earlier will be using. Some people who upgrade to the new version will be familiar with the new view while others will stay with the original view. Why not keep everybody on the same view, it's worked fine for years now.

Regarding Lin's concerns about identifying which slide is which in the full screen lightbox; if all the original images are in one folder and all the images re-sized for show are in a separate folder, there should not be any confusion. I never mix my originals with re-sized in the same folder.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Though having images in separate folders is undoubtedly a good practice, sometimes it doesn't work to my advantage because I often use full original size images for deep zooms and smaller versions for single display. For example, I may begin with slide one as say a 1920x1080 view then later need to do a closeup of some feature which is best done from the full sized perhaps 24 megapixel capture. One might argue that why have a smaller version when a single large version would suffice for multiple purposes, especially when there is no memory or resource "hit" from duplicating the same image? My reasoning is that for deep zooms I often use antialiasing and mip-mapping while zooming or panning, and sometimes apply sub-pixel gaussian blur to certain areas on the original sized image to prevent shimmer which isn't sufficiently handled with PTE's anti-shimmer feature. But once those operations such as zooms or pans have been completed, I then like to sometimes zoom back out and display a very crisp 1920x1080 without area treatment. This then means that I would have to duplicate the huge original which "would" have a resource hit, or, just insert a downsampled and sharpened version. This is a rather convoluted way of saying that I have good reasons for having both the large original size and downsampled versions conveniently placed in the same folder. Of course I could simply change folders to pick up the one needed, or simply have both available with a close-enough file name so that they stay in proximity in the same folder and right click the thumbnail to get properties and find which is which.

It is certainly possible to work without the Classic View, but it is quite "convenient" for some of us who are used to using it on a regular basis. Loosing it won't be the end of the world, we will just learn to change our work-flow a bit.

By the way, I'm not completely clear on what you are referring to with : "keeping everyone on the same view?" Actually, there are three views presently available in most recent versions of PTE (horizontal, vertical and classic) or four if you count the full screen as a "view."

Best regards,

Lin

Igor and others -

I believe having 2 interface views will lead to confusion. Whenever someone is seeking help or advice, they'll first have to identify which view they're using. We know what everyone using 6.5 or earlier will be using. Some people who upgrade to the new version will be familiar with the new view while others will stay with the original view. Why not keep everybody on the same view, it's worked fine for years now.

Regarding Lin's concerns about identifying which slide is which in the full screen lightbox; if all the original images are in one folder and all the images re-sized for show are in a separate folder, there should not be any confusion. I never mix my originals with re-sized in the same folder.

Greg

Lin -

By the way, I'm not completely clear on what you are referring to with : "keeping everyone on the same view?" Actually, there are three views presently available in most recent versions of PTE (horizontal, vertical and classic) or four if you count the full screen as a "view.

Well there you go, I didn't realize there are 3 views presently available, I've been using the default view since I got involved with PTE in 2005.

Re; the huge image file sizes needed for animation, I wouldn't think there's many users with that problem.

Greg

As a lot, I am impatient and it defers me being able to use this version of PTE which proves to be great.

But very as Peter and Greg it would be good to make apparaitre the icon of the list of views, because all do not use out of necessity the keys of shortened keyboard.

On the contrary concerning effects, I shall definitely see them being on the right or left partioe of every view.

I reach with you a capture of screen for my vision of things.

post-2414-0-46320000-1300423913_thumb.jp