AVG 2012

Antbrewer

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken,

Re re update.

Decided to do a full scan since the last post 30mins ago. NOW avg has picked up Barry's AV Dawn as a trojan and dumped it in the virus vault.

I am at a loss.......I then played the 'Skye light' AV by lakelandlass which I downloaded last night from Beechbrook Cottage and that plays fine.

I am glad that I am not the only one pulling the few remaing hairs out on my head but I am close to dumping AVG if there seems no visible end to this.

Anthony

I dumped the original download - went the host site - file was marked as pulled - but took a chance anyways and downloaded it

tested the zip - ok -un packed it and the exe ran without an alarm

better update your site mate -- and it would help Igor if you would provide details how you fixed it for the benefit of all concerned parties

ken

we have this problem with avg that there does not seem to be a consistant fix for

I suggest Igor make a show with all new versions and submit it to avg before he releases it to the forum

so before he releases 7.0.4, he run it through his contact at avg to see if their latest ver and dat files pass it

this way he may get a handle what is going on

the problem that goddi is having with a queer file may be part of the solution

also whenever we get these errors, people should include in the thread what version they used to make the show and if they are using avg - provide the ver and dat they are using

ken

Good morning Ksenya and Ken,

As I started this thread back in November I can say the issues I've had with AVG relate to PtE exe files from different versions I have created over the last few years. Most recent exe files I have made were with Version 6.5. I have not made any yet with Version 7.

AVG has picked up as trojans many of the older exe AVs as well as new ones that I have uploaded made with Version 7 , eg, Barry's Dawn AV the other day.

I have always been able to play any exe files of mine with no warnings or threats and it would appear to me that this trouble has only started since downloading AVG 2012....... Whether that is the case for others I cannot say but suspect it may well be.

I hope this input is of some help if you are endeavouring to sort it out with AVG.

Good luck

Anthony

Anthony some of us had to go to avg 2012 to get out of the hole - then Igor updated pte and it started all over again

there are shows that Igor produced with ver 5 i think that are being picked up -- avg is even picking up ver 3.65 stuff - see my screen shots

ken

Some time ago during the life of this topic, AVG 2012 Free "found" a Trojan in my sequence, Iona.exe, and sent the file to the Virus Vault. A subsequent update to AVG then passed that file as clean and removed it from the vault and restored it to its original folder - with its file name having "_AVG_RESTORED" appended to it. I re-created the file Iona.exe using the same version of PTE that I had used originally. I then scanned this file with the then current level of AVG. It was passed as clean. Yesterday AVG once again "found" a Trojan in my sequence, Iona.exe, and sent it to the Virus Vault. It did not find a Trojan in the version it had previously passed as clean and restored from the vault. As far as I can tell the two files were identical - created using the exact same version of PTE (v6.0). Now, according to AVG, one has a virus and the other doesn't. Work that one out! I don't think the AVG coding team know what they're doing.

regards,

Peter

I have published a fresh version of the Iona.exe using PTE v7.03. The file was then scanned with AVG - no threat detected. I have now emptied the virus vault. From here on, if AVG detects another false positive in any of my sequences, I shall do as I have just done: re-publish using latest PTE, re-scan that file with latest AVG, empty the virus vault. I do not, at this point, intend to ditch AVG. I will, instead, "go with the flow", as it were.

I don't have a large collection of files created with lots of old versions of PTE (nothing older than v4.43). I don't download many sequences posted by others - and always wait until someone else has done so. In that way, I try to limit my chances of getting an infection if ever a real one did tag itself onto a PTE sequence.

A high level of false positives is bad news for the company behind AVG - their reputation is at risk. A high level of false positives is bad news for Wnsoft - the reputation of PTE is being compromised. Any level of false positives is bad news for those who use PTE as part of their professional business. In my opinion, this subject has taken over from registration key problems as the major cause for concern for the PTE user base. I have e-mailed Igor about this issue, recommending that he needs to take further action, working in conjunction with the anti-virus companies, to eliminate this false positive problem once and for all.

regards,

Peter

AVG is now getting very annoying! :angry: It is throwing up most of my AV's as infected.

A new AV which I finished & published on Friday is now being shown as infected.

The exe was fine on Friday, but then my XP desktop pc did a full scheduled scan on Saturday & threw up the exe's created with version 7 as being infected.

The previous week, ver 7 exe's were fine but it was saying older exe's (created with ver 6.5 or earlier)were infected.

I then tried to publish the exe on my Vista laptop (the PTE file had already been copied across but I hadn't got round to creating the EXE).

AVG said the file was infected & I couldn't even publish, it then caused PTE to stop responding & I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL & stop the process.

So I downloaded & installed PTE v 7.0.3 as I was previously using 7.0.2.

AVG also updated to a new database 2108/4691 (19th Dec 19:34)

Ver is 2012.0.1890

I was still getting exe's being shown as infected, but having re-published the AV's with v7.0.3 they are now accepted as clean.

This really needs to be sorted out with AVG once & for all as it seems that each time they update the database it is showing different EXE's as being infected.

Jill

A high level of false positives is bad news for Wnsoft - the reputation of PTE is being compromised. Any level of false positives is bad news for those who use PTE as part of their professional business.

This really needs to be sorted out with AVG once & for all as it seems that each time they update the database it is showing different EXE's as being infected.

I couldn't agree more !

Too much is too much now.

I have just come online and picked up yesterday and todays posts.

This has to be sorted before we reputations are ruined. Hopefully as a moderator Peter contacting Igor might have some push as I have no doubt Igor has more sway over AVG as any individual or group may have. When I contacted them in early November prior to so many others having problems it was quite obvious that the representative that I dealt with had no real understanding of what I was talking about.

Ken,

I appreciate that you want as much info supplied from each member as possible but surely with the overview (regarding differing versions of both AVG data base and PtE etc ) that so many have written about there must be enough information for AVG to rectify this nonsense.

My situation is the same as Jill's and others. Now I have no intention of using PtE for anything serious in the immediate future until I can be sure of the safety of my files.

Anthony

we need to know what each show that is nailed was made with - the is what the new lady asked for - also i wrote to all moderators including Igor and others before Peter added his thread -- off list

what harm is it to provide the info

some people add all the details as to run time size etc with no problem -- perhaps they do not know where to get the info

open the avg gui and do a help about - a standard windows function

ken

Ken,

Thanks, but I can't reproduce this issue on my computer. I installed latest AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 with latest updates and it shows nothing for this file (FLIGHT OVER OAHU). This show created in PicturesToExe 7.0.2

JUST DOWNLOADED FLIGHT OVER OAHU FROM BEECHBROOK

AVG DETECTS 2 TROJANS

EXAMPLE

"";"D:\P2E COLLECTION\P2E\JOHN WILLIAMS\FLIGHT over OAHU v2.zip:\FLIGHT over OAHU v2.exe";"Trojan horse BackDoor.Generic14.CDXE";"Infected"

KEN

I also uploaded sample shows created in PicturesToExe 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3 to VirusTotal.com service and AVG has no detections.

:angry: Hi, I use windows 7 64 bit, AVG free 2012, latest update (this day) and PTE 7.03. Why 'trojan horse' on my pte-exe files? After closing AVG, restarting, deleting the pte exe-files, also in trash, i can publish new my pte-work. Is the cause PTE or AVG?

Mvg, Miet