WnSoft Forums

Progress Bar

Mike Reed

Hi

Since loading the latest version of PTE I find that when running my EXE file I get a progress bar showing at the bottom of the screen. This I find annoying. Any idea how to remove it.

Can I wish all Forum members a very Happy New Year.

Mike Reed

In my opinion, the new navigation bar is quite a useful tool, and it is a matter of taste if it were deactivated by default, or not. If you use it and chose the option "Auto hide", the navigation bar will not be visible, provided that you do not move the mouse. In particular, people who will present their slide shows to the forum in order to obtain some detailed feedback should make use of the new navigation bar. It will make reviewing much easier.

Regards,

Xaver

I agree with Xaver - it's quite arbitrary whether it's "on" or "off" by default. Those who use it more frequently will prefer it to be on and those who don't will prefer it to be off.

Best regards,

Lin

In my opinion, the new navigation bar is quite a useful tool, and it is a matter of taste if it were deactivated by default, or not. If you use it and chose the option "Auto hide", the navigation bar will not be visible, provided that you do not move the mouse. In particular, people who will present their slide shows to the forum in order to obtain some detailed feedback should make use of the new navigation bar. It will make reviewing much easier.

Regards,

Xaver

Judy.

Generally software defaults to what is likely to be the most used, which is common sense really. I don't have any figures to prove it, but my gut reaction is that more people turn this feature off than leave it on. Hence my view that its currently set the wrong way around. This has been compounded by about 3 people contacting me for ways to turn it off and one posted on this forum.

Being able to set your own default or make templates is OK for the initiated, but not a great deal of help for the newer user.

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just treated myself to an updated Elements, from 6 to 10. Things have been quiet over Christmas so I've been familiarising myself with the software. I noticed that when I make a change to a feature it remembers the change and doesn't default back to the original, where 6 did.

Yachtsman1.

What features do you mean Eric?

I see they have made a few good improvements to Elements 10 apart from one. In earlier versions you could collapse the palette well on the right hand side and it cleared the screen for the image. Now they don't allow us to do that and a whopping great palette well sits there all the time. I don't know, but suspect they are taking advantage of the fact that most people are working on larger wide screen monitors and they must feel that its OK to have the palettes there all the time. Shame, but a small point I suppose.

They now have content aware built into the Spot Healing brush and it and the standard Healing Brush are extremely good, as good as Photoshop. If you havn't found them yet, the Healing brushes are like an automatic clone to some degree and blend in the pixels you paint, very clever and make dust spots able to be dealt with at 2 per second.

You will enjoy Elements 10, its pretty good

Guest Yachtsman1

I noticed it when opening a Nikon NEF image, I inadvertantly changed from 8 to 16bit in the raw editor, when I tried to save it as a JPEG I couldn't as 16bit only supports Tiff & some Photoshop alternatives see S/Shots. It took me some time to realise I had changed the Raw editor to 16 bit, when I set it back to 8bit I could save in Jpeg.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS I have also noticed it on the re-sizing tool. I don't want to hijack this thread so if the elements theme is to be continued I would suggest it is moved to the software section. I only mentioned it to point out a change from default to user action.

post-5560-0-31800800-1325068109_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-37536900-1325068179_thumb.jp

I agree with bbdigital for the reasons he explained in his post of 28 December.

The default option should be to not show the Navigation Bar, as was always the case until version 7.

It is not a professional appearance to show this Bar. It is easily left on by mistake.

Robert,

Whilst I agree with your post, is it not the case that in most software we set it up the way we want it and save our changes to a default settings file? People rarely agree about default settings.

I use TEMPLATES extensively and my standard template includes the Nav Bar unticked (OFF). I have done it once - I never have to worry about it again. My NEW PROJECT FILE will always open with Nav Bar Unticked.

I have repeatedly praised the advantages of using Templates - things like the Nav Bar and KFSD are prime examples of the things that some people want and others do not. Templates are the way to ensure that your Project is preset exactly the way you want it.

I still agree with you about the Nav Bar.

Happy New Year.

DG

Regards,

Xaver

=================

Just to add my 2 cents in this topic about the Nav Bar... I, too, find it very useful and always include it. I like the ability to make it disappear after a second or two. I normally have used the old Sky Style but now I am gravitating to the Video Player Style. I like this style because it shows total length of the show.

But, what bugs me about it is that it does not have the ability to include an Exit icon. It has Previous and Next, but no Exit, as there is in the Sky Style. Why????? If the show is sent to someone not familiar with PTE, they might not know to use the ESC.

I have put this as a request to Igor but it has not been addressed.

Whether the Nav Bar is default or not, I will always use it. I understand that some don't want the user to have any control over the final product. I see it differently, almost as a courtesy, for user. I wish it were used more.

Gary

I'm with Gary. With modern technology on TV's and Video players viewers have the abilty to "pause" when they need to go to the bathroom, "rewind" if they miss a bit, "fast forward" if they are getting bored etc, etc. I am not so precious about my shows to deny them the same ability.

Nav Bar default - no big deal. If it's off, click it on; if it's on, click it off - simples!

Mick

welcome to the "COMMON SENSE" club

when starting a new project people should go thru the options section page by page and study it and make changes as necessary-especially the music page - DaveG and others use a template but they still have to add music

now is that too difficult :unsure:

ken

It is a simple matter for experienced users to program their work exactly as they want it to be shown.

The problem arises with inexperienced users who by default (under the new system) have the Progress Bar operating. They then enter this show in festivals and demonstrations.

In a public venue, this is an unattractive and unnecessary feature. Worse, it shows PTE in a poor light, making it similar to the display errors common to users of competitor software(Proshow, Windows Media Player etc).

but the forum is not a competition - it is a critquing forum to get advice from others

and with video nav bar in operation we can pin a problem to mins/secs and advise the author where his problem is -- when he gets his show tuned then he can disable the nav bar before entering it to the competition circuit -- if he /she forgets that is their problem -- soon they will do things automatically if they get kicked out of the competition and the judges advise them of why they got the boot :lol:

ken

I personally dont see a real problem for the NAV BAR being displayed by default. I believe it helps the new user better to learn the program. In the past with older versions ... many posts thru the years from new users asked how to activate the navigation controls. In the current version ... it seems mostly seasoned users are asking to have it removed. So maybe changing old habits plays a major role here.

* Disabling the Mouse Cursor automatically prevents the NAV BAR display. To remove additional user control of your slideshow ... one also needs to disable the Keyboard Control option.

* Video/Player style controls generally dont have a EXIT button. Have alook at your other Video/Player applications player bar.

No matter what is on by default and what is not ... any new user and seasoned user needs to explore the program and its project settings. Making specific Templates of your settings to create your slideshow is the best function to use to resolve any preferred settings to always use.