WnSoft Forums

Sending FIles by email

David White

I have recently made a short AV which I want to send as an email attachment to several people.

I know that most ISPs will not allow .exe files to be sent but I believed that if I compressed it into a ZIP file all would be OK.

However I have found that gmail and ntlworld (and probably others) now appear to look into the ZIP file and block the message.

I have had success in changing the extension to .doc - which can be sent - and getting the recipient to change it back to .exe.

This works but is clunky and if one is unfortunate enough to use gmail, very fiddly to do - as far as I can see these users can only get at the file by saving a download in its own folder and then changing its extension! Apparently this is not all that easy to do.

I thought about sending it as an MP4 file but I notice the file is much bigger and the slides no longer fit in the frame (I lose the top and bottom).

Does anyone have a solution?

Merry Christmas

DaveOR

DaveOR,

You have two problems, at least, to overcome. Firstly, most ISP mail gateways set a maximum size limit on any attachment (I'm on ntlworld, and last time I checked it was set at 20MB as I recall). A typical AV, even in EXE or ZIP form, will exceed this limit. Secondly, all ISPs use anti-virus scanning software. Depending upon which they use it might generate "false positives". This is especially true of the "big league" products because they operate in the corporate marketplace. Their major customers want them to trap a virus even before it is known to be loose "in the wild". These products seem to take great offence at any small piece of code, whether harmless or harmful. Within each EXE file produced by PTE there is just such a small piece of code. Its purpose, of course, is to interpret the instructions which you have carefully assembled in your PTE project file, and apply those instructions to your images, videos and sound files during playback.

I am not sure that there is a truly "foolproof" way of distributing your finished article these days. Even if you use a host service in the cloud, such as Dropbox, Mediafire or Beechbrook, each indiviual PC that downloads that file has to be able to accept it without any anti-virus software kicking in and objecting to it.

regards,

Peter

Dave

Firstly you should always send large files these days via the cloud. It';s not entirely fair to send huge files as email attachements even if the isp allows them. Far better to send a link that the recipiant can download at their leasure. At least they know what they are downloading. In an email attachement it can seem as though the emails have stalled to some because it is so slow.

The benefits are that you have your slide show securely stored, if someone else pops up and and wants a copy yopu just re-create the link and send it to them.

Use a free service like www.yousendit or www.mediafire. Upload your zipped file and send the recipents sks to see the show the link can ve copied and sent anytime.

I have hundreds of zipped videos and slide shows on mediafire and it works fine, no bother. The only issue you have is the free account comes with adverts to pay for it. I find it convenient to create a spreadsheet list of what I store and I paste the link in beside the subject title. That way I always have the link without having to connect to mediafire at all.

By the way for other members, there is a deal on with mediafire about $30 to store 100gig of files all add free. I am not sure how they do it for the price.

....I have hundreds of zipped videos and slide shows on mediafire and it works fine, no bother. The only issue you have is the free account comes with adverts to pay for it....

That's why I changed from Mediafire to Dropbox, which does not bother people with adverts.

jt

JT

You amaze me, you have a service for free that will give you 50 gig or storage space. How do you expect them to pay for it if it's not through advertising.

I have hundreds of videos stored there and 35gig of space used without a hicup all for $30 a year.

Tell me that is not reasonable !!!

... You amaze me, you have a service for free that will give you 50 gig or storage space. How do you expect them to pay for it if it's not through advertising ...

I do not expect anything. I only had some trouble that inexperienced people did not manage to get my downloads from my free mediafire account (maybe because of local sex offers :)). I do not need much cloud space. With a few successful invitations to Dropbox, I now have about 4 GB, quite enough to share my recent AVs, and without any problems with ads.

If you do not yet have a Dropbox account, I can send you an invitation, which will give me another 500MB cloud space :)

Best regards,

jt

Barry,

If it were JUST adverts I would be happy, but sometimes it is the NATURE of the adverts. Also, if you click on a wrong link (easy to do), you are downloading something other than what you intended. You also have hidden adverts which don't show until you close other windows.

I don't like it - never have - never will.

DropBox gives me more than I need with NO adverts.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

My Mediafire experience is not as described by some on here regarding up=loading. I don't have a paid for account & for the last few months since the current system came in, I don't get any pop up adds when up-loading, neither do I get any adds when I log in to check stats. I think the adds appear when logging in from a short-cut on your system. Now I log in from a google or yahoo searched link. :)/>

Yachtsman1.

At least with mediafire you know where you are and where the download is coming from when you click the given link

and the download button is big enough to see

I generally r mouse the download target and do a save as and if I have previously saved a page from this forum for reference, the save as function goes to where I saved the page -- couldn't be much simpler B)/>

ken

ken

Barry,

If it were JUST adverts I would be happy, but sometimes it is the NATURE of the adverts. Also, if you click on a wrong link (easy to do), you are downloading something other than what you intended. You also have hidden adverts which don't show until you close other windows.

I don't like it - never have - never will.

DropBox gives me more than I need with NO adverts.

DG

Well, that is just how the internet is all over. Look for drivers for Nvidia cards and you have to have the COMMON SENSE not to click on the google links that QUITE OBVIOUSY do not come from Nvidia and lead to all sorts of crap you don't want. Develop some savvy or stay off the net, but its a bit rich having a great service for free and constantly bitching about it.

Try saying something midly similar in respect of PTE and you will see pages of text appear from many of you jumping up and down on the spot.:lol:/> .

Wow - that generated a lot of responses in a short time.

I actually have a dropbox account and use it to send photos to a group of friends.

However it does seem to have a serious problem, at least on my setup. It seems to be because my broadband system is ADSL - it is so asymmetrical that it takes forever to send a large file (or group of small files). Maybe I'm doing something wrong!

I will now read and try to understand the various options that have been suggested - I've never heard of Media file or WeTransfer, so I'll see what they can do.

I'll also look into the hosting service suggested by Ken.

Thanks to everyone - I'll try some of the suggestions and see what happens.

DaveOR

Hi Dave,

There is one more option. While a little more expensive, if you shop around you can find an inexpensive web host where you have essentially unlimited bandwidth for downloads and unlimited storage space for a few dollars a month. You have the option of just using this server space as storage and/or building a website. I have a couple hundred gigabytes or more of shows, tutorials, images, etc., stored this way and have had such for over 14 years without an issue. Just provide a link for those who wish to download your files and there is never an advertisement or potential for clicking the wrong thing. I use One and One - link below. Just another option....

Link to One and One Hosting

Lin

DAVE

thing point you have to remember is what computer /internet smarts the person you are sending to -

do they know what an exe is

do they know how to unzip a file

when all is said and done Beechbrook is the most user friendly -- once it is up there you only have to send the link to your friends -and they can see wht they are getting - Bill does not allow any swear words in a show nor advertising -- I have worked very close with him since the inception of his service

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

- I've never heard of Media file

DaveOR

Dave

It's Mediafire not Media file, https://www.mediafire.com. I uploaded my Vincent file to them couple of days ago, 150+MB, took around 20 minutes on my broadband.

Yachtsman1.

VERY INTERESTING, I deleted my personal side of the link above & checked the completed post & link & Mozilla flagged it as a non trusted site :blink:/> :blink:/> :blink:/>

I actually have a dropbox account and use it to send photos to a group of friends.

However it does seem to have a serious problem, at least on my setup. It seems to be because my broadband system is ADSL - it is so asymmetrical that it takes forever to send a large file (or group of small files)

I'll also look into the hosting service suggested by Ken.

You may try to install the Dropbox application. When starting it, it will synchronize your cloud folder with a corresponding Dropbox folder on your computer. This is done in the background, without using your browser. You do not have to care for it. If you want to share some data with a friend, you just place a copy of your data into your local Dropbox folder. When synchronization has finished, you can make this data public and send the corresponding link to your friend.

Beechbrook is rather a hosting service for PTE shows, not a service for file exchange.

Regards,

jt

Thanks again everyone.

I think I have solved the problem I had with Dropbox. It was slowing down my Internet access as it seemed to have hung-up when sending a large file.

I have now successfully sent a short (5MByte) PTE file which went very quickly and was received OK.

I hope this has resolved the problem and so I have invited all the potential recipients to access the folder.

Thank you Ken also - it is interesting to see that hosting sites were being discussed back in 2002!

Happy New Year

DaveOR

My personal opinion of dropbox is that it's great when it works but I would never again share an unsigned .exe. At the very least zip up the file. Even better is to use the PTE signed player with the .ptshow data file (save executable file for internet option). The reason is they AV scan shared files for malware which is not a bad idea. The bad idea is how they communicate with the user when they detect malware. The public will see an over quota error web page that does not explain why the file sharing has been disabled or what file(s) they consider infected. My dropbox settings were configured to notify me when something changes. I scan my files with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro.

I have switched to Microsoft SkyDrive mainly because of the free 7 GB and seamless integration with Windows 7 and 8. It also works well with my Google blog.

Tom