WnSoft Forums

Do you create DVD in PicturesToExe?

Igor

DVD output  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you create DVD in PicturesToExe?

• Never
    • Sometimes
    • Frequently

Never !

Something is puzzling me. Most of PTE users and forum members are asking for best images quality and advanced features. Nowadays most of digital cameras can shoot photos of 12M pixels, most advanced up to 25M... most of TV set are able to display 2M (1920x1080) pixels and in the few years to come 8M (3840x 2160 that is called 4K). But reading the previous posts, I understand there is still a strong demand for 0,44M (764x576 which is the equivalent DVD quality in sqared pixels). Where is the consistency?

With such requirements, it is quite difficult for Igor to find the right track for the PTE's evolving! All features to be maintained have a cost, each time new features are added, old ones have to be tested again and again in their new software environment.

The DVD building function was essential when we cannot create other outputs except EXEs but it is no longer the case since several years ! With PTE v8 it is quite easy to create HD Videos which can be recorded on DVD or BD with standard third party softwares or even saved directly on USB or HDD.

Daniel

Well said Daniel!!

However, some (obviously) find it easier to send friends DVDs in the mail rather than send Memory Keys.

If they were to send out MP4 files on CD or DVD which could be transferred by the recipient to Memory Keys, would the recipient have sufficient knowledge to do this?

How many people are fully aware that they can play MP4 on their TV via USB Memory Keys?

There are still those who still do not have TVs with USB - are they fully aware that they can get a relatively cheap BR/BD Player which will almost inevitably have the USB facility and can be connected to most of the more modern (USB/less) TVs via HDMI? BR/BD Players also play standard DVDs and in most cases with better results than a Standard DVD Player. But without the HDMI Connection you are (to a certain extent) wasting your time and money.

I think that we are still possibly low down on the learning curve and it might take a little time yet.

I have been using USB for years but still get the family call - "Can't you put it on a DVD"?

DG

• Like 1

Yes, the problem is twofold I think. First, USB flash memory, when compared to DVD media is quite expensive. Here in the states, even low capacity flash memory purchased in bulk are a couple bucks each. The other issue is that almost everyone has a DVD player and these days almost everyone has a BluRay player if they live in an urban area in the USA and have some sort of cable or dish type television service. Not all current televisions in circulation here are capable of using USB devices to play mp4 shows.

As David mentioned, we are probably still a few years away from having the public aware of alternative methods of media presentation. Some day in the near future we may have DVD/BluRay players which also have USB ports and that will make it much easier for the public to accept the alternative ways. Right now, to use a USB device on my television, I have to get my flashlight (beamer) to see the USB port on the side of the large screen. Then I have to choose from a menu the proper selection to play it. With my BluRay/DVD player, I just insert the media and it automatically plays without any intervention from the user. When I want to watch a movie, I go to the nearest video store or machine and rent a DVD or BluRay - not a USB device containing a movie. I think familiarity is part of the issue with presenting shows on alternative media.

Best regards,

Lin

• Like 1

Guest Yachtsman1

Another advantage of the DVD format is presentation, my latest one I printed a picture of the happy couple signing the register on the DVD disc, In the past I have included a jewel case with a picture & text from the show on the front & description on the back. IMO it makes a more professional offering than a memory stick.

Yachtsman1.

I agree with all of you, BUT. I debate what Daniel is saying to really focus on the electronic rather than optical media forgetting that the electronic has sensitivity that a DVD disc does not.I just lost 2000 plus images stored on an Epson P 3000 coming back from France 3 weeks ago that would have not happened with a disc. The fact that HDMI was designed and created as the ultimate data transfer but in real it is a bidirectional transfer device that prevents copying certain data and that could be blocked remotely. I was constantly blocked by my cable provider because I had a digital VCR hooked up to my system and not even turned on. So I pulled the HDMI cables and re plugged the component cables and no more problem.

I work with all kinds of media and format but not trusting any one of them. If I make a project I do burn a DVD of the finished project with a nice label printed on it. Also back up my stuff on two hard drives and on disks and those includes an MP4 and a full DV AVI file of the project. Yes those could be shared but would require some real estate because of file size. Yes you can compress and then what? Back where we started with a mediocre quality file.

I also have a bunch of HDMI cables hanging on a hook in my office just in case.

Also don't forget not everybody is wired and have computers or late model TV's. The mass still can play a disc.

Until then I and a bunch of us will still create and burn discs.

Laszlo

Dave, you divert my wordings !

What I said in my post (see last sentence) :

"it is quite easy to create HD Videos which can be recorded on DVD or BD with standard third party softwares..."

So , yes, I agree with you and Eric, it could be easier to send DVDs to friends rather than memory stick but why not including HD Video mp4 files rather than old DVD format?

Most of DVD players are able to explore folders and read mp3 or mp4 files.

NB : it is also very easy to send a link for downloading.

Lin, imagine that you want to order a video report of a special event, one photographer offers you to make a standard DVD (0,44M) the other one, for the same price, offers you a DVD with an HD Video mp4 file (2M). Which one will you choose? Which one is the best professionnal?

Laszlo, I have just a comment to add. I agree on what you said about electronic or magnetic devices. But I just want to draw your attention on the fact that there is no lifetime guarantee with customized DVDs. One of my friends have lost a lot of DVDs he burnt only six years ago. Personnaly I prefer to save my AV files directly on HDDs always onto 2 different supports.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Which I would choose depends on whether I have the ability to play the HD Video. Here in the USA professional event photographers offer their work on BluRay and DVD for events such as weddings. Almost none offer MP4 format because the vast majority of clients know nothing of these different formats. Nearly everyone has a DVD player and most have a BluRay player which they can just insert the media and watch the show. If it has to be played on a computer it's too complex for the general audience. Keep in mind that where things such as weddings are captured and shows are made that the client is not just the younger couple who are being married, but the older parents, grand parents, etc., who generally want a copy. A product such as PTE will not sell well to event photographers unless it can produce both DVD and BluRay formats. Most of my wedding photographer friends offer their Proshow events on BluRay, DVD and SmartPhone formats.

Best regards,

Lin

Gentlemen

I think we all have positive points and Daniel you're right, disc's can corrupt the layers split and the organic material in them can break down especially if the disc is cheap and bent at the time of removal from the case. I never by bargain 100 piece spool ever.

There is a point that has not been mentioned on favor of disc. It is much more difficult to rip a disc and remove a photograph from the disc than from a file.

In a sense there is the added step that only people can understand who deals with the subject.

As a last note. The only sure thing is a stone axe. It was working a 1000 years ago and it still does.

I don't trust any media especially the "cloud". That is why I save in multiple formats.

To swap between pros the full resolution uncompressed format is the solution and MP4 is a compressed one. At that point forget about sharing with any ordinary individuals but people with hardware and know-how.

Laszlo

Guest Yachtsman1

I think we are losing track of the original thread which was started I assume to determine if the feature could be omitted from the programme. With the poll as it is at the moment the "yes I use it" vote is well ahead.

Yachtsman1.

I also agree with Eric on this. I made about 10 last year for my wife's family as they are elderly and not much into computers. I am one pace of making 15-20 this year for them as well as a group from a show I did for my wifes high school reunion has asked for DVD's so yes I do use the feature to make DVD's

Steven

• 1 month later...