WnSoft Forums

Moving a style

Bert

With importing all those new styles, I get more and more new categories with 1 or 2 styles in them.  How do you move a style to another existing category?

For instance, I imported from Lin's post the "wedding book style" from J.C.  This style is now in a category called Lin's styles.  I like to move this style to the category "Wedding styles"  I don't see how to do that.  (I looked in the user's guide but could not find it).

I have had an issue like this:

After reinstalling (not updating) P2E, I am unable to modify or move my own custom styles that previously existed.  Duplicate Style Categories exist.  I haven't tried getting in under the hood--no time, but is there is an obvious fix?

I think the origin of this may be that when I upgraded to an SSD, I reinstalled Win 10 and all software from scratch, but restored my documents files from backup.  Could that have caused it?  

I see in the slide styles folder that I have both  usestyles.ini and usestyles_v9.ini   Could PTE be picking up duplication between these?  

For now everything works, I just can't modify names or locations of some older styles/categories. Newly created ones work fine.  If I manually alter category names in the ini file, will I create havoc?

Judy,

Your "problem" is different to Bert's problem.

Part of your problem could be solved by Author's of Styles NOT using existing default USER STYLES or generic titles like "Tutorials" but using something which would be unique on another user's PC like, in your case, the Category "JUDYKAY", or in my case the Category DaveGee.

Barry has asked for Sub Categories in the Styles Window and I think that it would also help.

Another thing, do you automatically EXPORT your Styles and Categories when they are "finalised"?

Having an Exported Copy of a Style pretty much ensures that you "SHOULD" not get the problem that you seem to have. It is a bit like creating a Template from every project that you complete (not a BIZ) - it (the Template) is then available from the drop-down Templates Menu in the Files Menu at a moments notice no matter how old it is or how many there are.

DG

Thanks, Dave

I see now that you can not get a new style like  "wedding book style" from J.C.  move to the "Wedding" category that was there already.  It seems that in PTE's original top 5 style categories,  nothing can be added or changed.  So in my case, I must have 2 "Wedding" style categories, 2 "Border" style categories, etc.

You cannot save to one of PTE's Default Categories, just as you cannot edit a Default Style.

I think that using a UNIQUE Category Name is probably the answer to a lot of problems.

In your case BERT.

It is highly unlikely that I would name a category on my PTE "Bert" so anything which you publish and I download would go to a Unique Category called BERT.

DG

Hi Bert,

I put all styles that I either create or modify and save into the category Lin's Styles because it makes them easy for me to find (I have hundreds of styles on my systems). I modified Jean-Cyprien's original style  which is called Livre pour images verticales.ptestyle  twice. Once to make it into a wedding oriented style and also to provide a more vertical orientation with less perspective distortion and again to just give it the more vertical orientation. When a style is exported, it keeps the category originally assigned which is why you found the style under the category Lin's Styles.  

Probably, it would be helpful for you to create several categories such as "Bert's Wedding Styles" and move all wedding related styles into this folder and other styles into categories you create to make them easier to find. In the original version 8 styles there were some names which could and were duplicated multiple times such as User styles. You can always rename the styles to something more meaningful to you as well.

After creating your own categories and moving styles into them, you can delete the empty original categories to keep things tidy...

Best regards,

Lin

You might also find that as you accumulate more and more Styles be they downloaded or created by yourself, that the Styles dialogue takes longer to load.

By Exporting Categories you can delete them locally and only have them loaded as and when required.

For instance, unless you are creating Wedding Projects on a daily basis why have Wedding Styles permanently loaded?

The fewer the Categories, the faster the Styles Dialogue loads.

DG

Thank, Lin, and Dave

By downloading all these styles and keeping them in the category the maker had them in, my categories kept multiplying.  I have 40 categories and 4 user categories.

It's becoming unwieldy and because I don't know what is in them, I have to open every category to see the style.  I am going with Lin's idea to make my own categories so that I can find relevant styles quicker.

Bert

Thanks for your help Dave.  I think I will delete everything, reinstall and start over.  I just can't seem to clean up the mess.  

Exporting styles and then reinstalling them and deleting the old one seems to work.  Yet, when I then try to change style categories, I get this warning even though the category in fact actually changes.  Maybe this is normal but I also note that I have to close and re-open a category to see the change.

Anyway, I am making workable progress.  I have a huge project ahead!

aasasasaas.png

Groan.  I just spent almost two hours completely restoring my styles and categories only to have Categories repeat.  Then I try to move one style to a new category and half a dozen move with it.  Then, a whole series of styles disappears altogether.  I think they exist, but won't show up as style in a category (User Styles seems to be the main culprit).  Trying to reimport a style asks if I want to replace existing style.  But the style isn't showing up! This is hitting me at a bad time.  These things happen.  Do I start all over a second time?  

I didn't actually do a PTE uninstall, reinstall. 

[Edit]

The panic is over.  I deleted all 2 userstyle*.ini files and reimported all styles.  Took less than an hour to import and recreate categories.  All is well now. And much cleaner and more streamlined.  No original work (a lot) was lost.  All's well that ends well!  

Just as a slight aside on this thread:

There seems to be lots of mouse clicking that has to take place when carrying out the sort of slide style editing/importing/exporting described above.

I'm sure that these operations could be speeded up considerably if drag and drop features were introduced as an option.

Regards

wideangle

On 8/26/2018 at 4:59 PM, Lin Evans said:

Hi Bert,

I put all styles that I either create or modify and save into the category Lin's Styles because it makes them easy for me to find (I have hundreds of styles on my systems). I modified Jean-Cyprien's original style  which is called Livre pour images verticales.ptestyle  twice. Once to make it into a wedding oriented style and also to provide a more vertical orientation with less perspective distortion and again to just give it the more vertical orientation. When a style is exported, it keeps the category originally assigned which is why you found the style under the category Lin's Styles.  

Probably, it would be helpful for you to create several categories such as "Bert's Wedding Styles" and move all wedding related styles into this folder and other styles into categories you create to make them easier to find. In the original version 8 styles there were some names which could and were duplicated multiple times such as User styles. You can always rename the styles to something more meaningful to you as well.

After creating your own categories and moving styles into them, you can delete the empty original categories to keep things tidy...

Best regards,

Lin

In my experience, when you delete the last style in a category, the category disappears. You can only have a category which contains at least one style.

DG

Hi Dave,

I guess it depends on the name of the category. I have about five "user categories" on my XP system - it seems that there is or was a bug of some type which allowed multiple "user" categories. 

Best regards,

Lin

On 8/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, wideangle said:

Just as a slight aside on this thread:

There seems to be lots of mouse clicking that has to take place when carrying out the sort of slide style editing/importing/exporting described above.

I'm sure that these operations could be speeded up considerably if drag and drop features were introduced as an option.

Regards

wideangle

I started working on organizing the styles, too much time-consuming.  Everytime you move a style to a new category, you have to type the category. Wideangle's idea would be soooooo much faster.

Bert