WnSoft Forums

Any examples of shows with mainly video?

jymb

I'm working with a group of fairly new drone owners who are just getting up to speed with working with the video they capture while flying. Unfortunately for the most part their productions are really, really boring. That's fine given they're just starting but I'd like to be able to give them some suggestions as to how to do some more creative things. 

I've used PTE a bit for shows with still images, but not so much with video. Would really like to see a few samples of shows created primarily with video content if there's any out there. (?) 

Jim

15 hours ago, jymb said:

I'm working with a group of fairly new drone owners who are just getting up to speed with working with the video they capture while flying. Unfortunately for the most part their productions are really, really boring. That's fine given they're just starting but I'd like to be able to give them some suggestions as to how to do some more creative things. 

I've used PTE a bit for shows with still images, but not so much with video. Would really like to see a few samples of shows created primarily with video content if there's any out there. (?) 

Jim

Jim,

Here is one that I made of part of our road-trip in Scotland. Most all is video. PTE handles video very well and results are very good. These videos were from my GoPro mounted on the  windshield of my car. I like adding video clips in all my shows and it is pretty seamless.

Gary

Hi Barry,

Very interesting/creative video! 

What I'm most interested in is how a video show is put together rather than the actual editing capabilities of  PT AV.  I think that most beginner drone videographers are understandably excited to fly & capture video that initially the video they produce is simply a playback of their flight. Interesting to them, but others-- not so much.

1. I think your video is a great example of the kinds of effects that can go a long way to making shows more interesting. Of course how one views a video is very subjective, but what I like about your video in particular:
  2. Of course content is king and the area you recorded is downright spectacular. Grabs you right off
  3. Relatively short segments of each scene with smooth transitions between-- not several minutes of one long flight path. Holds one attention better IMO
  4. Low enough AGL in many scenes adds a lot to getting a better feel for the landscape. 
  5. Nice mix of ascending/descending clips
  6. LOVE the fixed, vertical views of the waves! Point the camera down, record and HOLD. Cool. Of course if helps to have such compelling scenery but it seems like most drone videos rarely use this technique.

One thing I'm trying to do myself is to incorporate still, ground based images into the video. Also pondering if some of the transition effects used in shows with still images might work with video. (?)

Right now I'm between drones having sold all my old 3DR gear and moved to the more portable DJI offerings. Hopefully back in action soon but I'll have a long way to go to catch up with you! :D

3 hours ago, goddi said:

Jim,

Here is one that I made of part of our road-trip in Scotland. Most all is video. PTE handles video very well and results are very good. These videos were from my GoPro mounted on the  windshield of my car. I like adding video clips in all my shows and it is pretty seamless.

Gary

Yikes-- that's very cool! Pretty amazing scenery. Hope to make it to that part of the world one of these days.

We have a webcam that we use on our multi-month travels in the winter in our motorhome. Hour, after hour, after hour, of some pretty bland footage, but... then there's that one one time fo a few minutes you manage to capture something compelling. It's fun to look back anyway... 

AV, whether that is still images or video is all about the Visual content. It doesn’t matter what clever techniques or animation we use. Poor images or boring video remain poor and boring no matter what we do with them in the software.

Have you noticed that some TV programs are made up of video clips no longer than 3 seconds?

3 hours ago, Barry Beckham said:

Have you noticed that some TV programs are made up of video clips no longer than 3 seconds?

Indeed-- especially true with today's "action movies". They have legions of fans that love 'em of course but to me-- just way overdone. Hard to watch. Just too old and set in my ways I guess...

But as a typical slideshow does not have a plot, or characters, or a script per se, it's a whole other challenge to get & keep the viewer's attention. Unless of course it means something to you personally. A wedding show, family reunion show, and such. 

I agree about the 3s clips probably for the same reason as you, but it’s not just action movies and the challenge to retain interest in AV is always a battle. It’s why the first rule of AV is not to allow your enthusiasm to make a presentation 15 minutes long with content that couldn’t hold attention for 5. 

I can also tell you a little about this topic. The length of the video depends on the target audience. If you create wedding and similar family films, then there is a reason to make rather long videos. On the Internet there are many philosophical considerations and articles on this topic that I had to study by the nature of my work. It turns out there’s even a term like “torture with a slide show.” And before creating a video, I always think about the target audience so that for them my video does not become torture. Wedding and family films are intended for a narrow circle of people. They will mainly be viewed in a very close family circle. And the audience, most likely, will not be annoyed by a 10-15 minute film. (Although my husband runs away after 5 minutes of watching films with a family vacation) ... And an attempt to show this film to little-known people can be unsuccessful. If you are making a video for posting on social networks, then you need a different approach. I have been working in collaboration with a local scout club for several years. I make reportage videos for them about their activities. Theme of tourism and sports. They often travel in forests and mountains, parachuting. They collect a lot of beautiful video materials. The purpose of creating videos is video reporting and advertising. We started by creating 15 minute clips. Beautiful, with a full report. And we were very surprised why there were absolutely no reposts in the target communities. Then we switched to 3 minute clips. And there were no reposts either. We started talking with the administrators of the target communities, and it turned out that the 3-minute format was too long for them. Then we switched to Instagram format for 1 minute. This is very fast, I often need to place 15-20 video clips in 2-3 seconds + intro. Sometimes I have to increase the speed of video clips by 120-200%. But it’s these videos that adore social networks. Official communities around the country are happy to publish them. First of all, you need to respect the time of the audience. And you also need to consider the age category of viewers. The older generation loves slow shows and long films, and it is very difficult for young people to focus on more than 3-5 minutes. Well, experience shows that video clips lasting 1 minute are ready to watch with pleasure many times. And it does not cause irritation. As an example, I will show a 1-minute video about a trip to Elbrus in early June.